Autopsy Round 2, 2022: Hawks disconnect the power

Remove this Banner Ad

I kind of feel like order is being restored. I’m not foolish enough to think that we are final contenders after last nights win but if we play with the same intent every week then it will be a successful season.

Win half the remaining 20 games and we are right in finals contention. It’s a bottom 6 draw and we have the tightest defence by a significant margin.

I know there’s will be stumbles as well as the next poster

We looked terrific going forward but that was a defence led victory. They won the ball and couldn’t score. Over possessed trying to get through our defensive system and with some quality fwd we hurt them on the rebound.

Just a terrific performance. Can see 100% ward and McDonald are players.

Great game for lewis and learning too. Not working for him early and kept competing and the result came.

Gunston and breast are just a terrific combination - they make each other better.

DGB got going later and Sicily was just outstanding (pure A grade). The back 6 was awesome and that’s without day and impey. As good as they were it was the whole ground defence that made a very good side look mediocre. Then we had a transition game and mid/fwd connection that was non-existent last year.

Very happy hawk. It won’t all be smooth this year but that was a window into what the future could be. I love the brand - defensive system, competitive in the contest, pressure on the ball carrier and attacking mindset when we have the ball.

Talking about this the other day, I’ll have to use my words carefully here haha

I have the current perception that after a certain age point it’s like all of a sudden their is just all this bad decision making that their never once was when you look at all the ex elite coaches, pagan, sheedy etc is it the game growing out of them or hubris or something else but it still doesn’t explain the bad decision making?

In soccer it’s pretty accepted that managers are really only at the top of their game for a decade. No matter how innovative they start out as they stagnate after that point - look at Mourinho/Wenger even Ancelotti.

The only one who lasted was Sir Alex and he was never a master tactician, just very good at hiring the right people.

I wasn’t crazy about moving Clarko on and I detest Jeff, but he’s right about the need to regenerate. Clarko was showing signs of becoming late era Sheeds.

Just on the centre clearances, it's not a stat for clearing the square, it's for the first handball/kick after the ruck contest, which tells me that port mids got to the drop of the hit outs first but were putting them under extreme pressure from that point on, so, it'd be interesting to find the stats on who got the ball out of the square and frwds from the second posession on!!! İt's the pressure game from 2014/15/16 that we were so good at.

Just on the centre clearances, it's not a stat for clearing the square, it's for the first handball/kick after the ruck contest, which tells me that port mids got to the drop of the hit outs first but were putting them under extreme pressure from that point on, so, it'd be interesting to find the stats on who got the ball out of the square and frwds from the second posession on!!! İt's the pressure game from 2014/15/16 that we were so good at.
They did but rarely did it lead to a clean inside fifty entry. Also, free kicks against the ruckman or an on baller count as a clearance to the opposition. They had a few frees at stoppages which didn’t help that stat for us but only minor in the scheme of things haha

It tells a simple story but not the whole story. Not sure why the afl media are afraid of using better stats than the normal aggregates we get.
Because they're apparently extremely expensive even for journos if you're not tied to a publication.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So great to watch a game where you can relax and just enjoy the last 20 minutes of a game. The game was all over and I could open that Pol Roger so early!

1. About Port: Russell Ebert: what’s the fuss about, he played for Norf and he was a dud? And it’s a pity you took Motlop from the Cats, I’d prefer him to stink them up, although he did his usual crap for you.

2. Great win, but it’s always hard to get much out of a dominant win (or a terrible loss). You just enjoy it, and hope it continues.

3. For those revising history and announcing how terrible Clarkson was, he’s a legend of the club so * off. He’s coached 4 more premierships than anyone on BigFooty, the most of any Hawthorn coach, and deserves our eternal gratitude and admiration..

4. In the same vein, Sam Mitchell has done nothing, NOTHING. There’s only one game that matters and it’s played in late September. No other win matters, and this win is just irrelevant in the grand scheme.

5. I did like the high intensity attack and defence, players running hard, kamikaze throwing themselves into packs, just great. It was ugly at times, but so effective. Port was shell-shocked, and it led to some great turnovers and an open forward line

6. Don’t like praising individuals but Jai Newcombe is such a goer - inside muscle power and outside run, great combination. And he does it with a smile on his face!

7. And I want to acknowledge the Hawks woman trainer with the water bottles who was on screen 19 times during the game, 30 - 40 seconds at a time. Make sure you save the video!

Go Hawks!

The higher score at final siren stat?
Yep, total points. However it's the goals we cheer. The day we kicked 25.41 at Princes park against the saints the cheer squad chopped down the behind posts at Glenferrie. Huge score (191) but the supporters still got upset by it.

I watched the replay quite closely this morning.

We made a lot of fumbles, kicked to the Port player too many times and put the handball receiver under too much pressure.

Yet we won in a canter.

Weird.
Did you watch how many times they did all that? And how often it went to Sicily, frost and scrimshaw? 😉

That was so satisfying. South an even performance. Love players like Frost and CJ and Reeves trusting their instincts.
The problem previously was that the team was not allowed to anticipate and respond to them following their instincts - this made them look like fools when they followed their instincts (and took the fun out of the game)

Having watched most but not all of the replay, I couldn't help thinking that Port had adopted our old game plan. Lots of backwards and short kicks. Good for the stats but not for territory. Maybe we forced them into it or maybe it really is their game plan - either way, it worked for us, and we just kept pressing forward.

In soccer it’s pretty accepted that managers are really only at the top of their game for a decade. No matter how innovative they start out as they stagnate after that point - look at Mourinho/Wenger even Ancelotti.

The only one who lasted was Sir Alex and he was never a master tactician, just very good at hiring the right people.

I wasn’t crazy about moving Clarko on and I detest Jeff, but he’s right about the need to regenerate. Clarko was showing signs of becoming late era Sheeds.
I think one day we’ll eventually see that Clarko needed a move just as much as the HFC. He always said you’d have to throw him out the door to get rid of him 🤷🏽‍♂️

Having watched most but not all of the replay, I couldn't help thinking that Port had adopted our old game plan. Lots of backwards and short kicks. Good for the stats but not for territory. Maybe we forced them into it or maybe it really is their game plan - either way, it worked for us, and we just kept pressing forward.
I watched it again today. Grant Birchall called, he wants his being back.

Scrimshaw's game was perfect. Flawless. What a player.

He looks absolutely ridiculous, trying to re-invent himself.

Tall poppy syndrome at its best. I reckon he’s doing a decent job with his comments and insights. What do you want him to do? Sit around at home and eat all day? Take up a gambling habit? Good on him I say.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back