Autopsy Positives and Negatives vs Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

Their ridiculous academy rort has ensured they're always thereabouts. We have to earn our results.

Sydney fans talking about how good their recruiting is other than the academy selections shit me. They sound like rich kids talking about how they don't care about money.

2020: Pick 4 then immediately pick 5 as an academy selection
2019: pick 5
2018: pick 10 as an academy selection
2015: pick 3 as an academy selection
2014: pick 2 for pick 18 as an academy selection (old rules)

I mean finding Tom McCartin at pick 30 is great, but Sydney minus Mills, Heeney, Blakey are a different proposition. Double up top 5 picks and gaining access to top 5 talent when you are competing for a flag is a huge advantage.

There is something very stinky at Lathlain.

The list is beset by a huge number of problems.

Our on ball group possess none of the required traits of the modern player - strength, speed, resilience and aggression.

Our forward line is essentially dysfunctional as it has had the life starved out of it. There is essentially no one in our forward half of the ground for 70+% of the game.

Our back line has been beaten into submission. The weight of entries, the amount of time they are forced to be operating at maximum intensity simply overwhelms them. The mistakes made deep in defence would have made an under 15's coach ropeable. Basic, simple football fundamentals have been lost.

I think we are well past the point of thinking a fit Eagles 22 could contend.

Burn the lost down and start again.

Shuey - retire
Hurn - retire
JK - retire
NN - retire
Gaff - trade. I'd take a late second.
Darling - put him in the seconds and get the guy fit. If his ego can't hack it, pack his bags.

Sack every last useless inhabitant of the S&C department. They are incapable of preparing AFL ready footballers.

Match Committee. Buggered if I know who is on it but they need to turn over at least 50% of them. D-grade lawn bowls selectors are more ruthless and demanding of their players.

Simpson. If the players selected won't play the way he has instructed them he needs to find players on the list who will. Or he needs to accept defeat and jog tf on.

How can a club go from premiers to a complete basket case in just a few short years? It's Baffling.

Has Shuey been the worst performing captain the club has had (just counting performances while captain).
Has spent most of his time either injured or out of form.

Sadly his legacy as captain is poor. We've played 50 games, he has played 22.

Since he took over as captain we've had the Queensland hub shemozzle, lost a home final and then missed the finals. And we're not making finals this year I think we all know that.

You usually can't fault him when he's out there, but last year he came in for Rd 3 and was dominant in a good win then missed 3 months. He was there for the WB and Sydney floggings and losing to spooner North at home. There's only so much one injury prone player can do but a lot has happened on his watch.

Has Shuey been the worst performing captain the club has had (just counting performances while captain).
Has spent most of his time either injured or out of form.
Things have been cooked since Shuey became captain.

At this point I honestly wouldn't be against him retiring at the end of the year.

Yeah look, i don't like speaking bad about the bloke after watching his whole career, but yeah probably.

Definitely do not rate Shuey as a captain at all. Some guys rise up with the added responsibility (like Hurn did) and some are just a club mouthpiece and their footy suffers a bit from it.

Really wish Hurn hadn't of handed over the reigns when he did. Club has been a bit of a basket case on field since that happened.

We haven't had a lot of really good wins these past few years, but generally it's been when Shuey hasn't played.

vs St Kilda in 2020 (Shuey missed) - Backs against the wall, huge win for the club by it's younger players.
vs Richmond in 2021 (Shuey missed) - Huge win against Richmond with JK being the hero, rushed the stars back afterwards, club has been cursed since.
vs Port in 2021 (Shuey played and was BOG but got injured) - Annihilated the top of the table Port team at home in front of a packed house.
vs Magpies in 2021 (Shuey missed) - Got on top of the magpies at home, Witherden was good, Oscar kicked 5
vs Magpies in 2020 (Shuey played) - Smashed them, JK kicked 7 goals.
vs Dockers in 2021 (Shuey missed) - Missing loads of players, and still rolled Cockburn by 59 points, making it 11 straight derby wins.
vs Blues in 2020 (Shuey missed) - Got our season up and going after a disastrous start in the hub
vs Hawks in 2021 (shuey missed) - After an arm wrestle early we got on top of them. Williams looked good. Won by 38
vs Crows in 2021 (Shuey missed) - Arm wrestle until after half time at adelaide oval, boys had to work for it, Cripps was the star kicking 5, won by 42

vs Magpies in 2022 (Shuey missed) - One of the best performances in club history. Led by our younger players, we knocked over the much highly fancied pies.

Last edited:
  • Premierships aren't won in April (applies to both us & Swans)
  • We're 1 game closer to the worm turning
  • Jones did all that he could to lift the boys in the 3rd, his endeavour was noticeable
  • Williams was good in patches

• Naish can get it but he butchers it more often than not, not just tonight.
  • H. Edwards looked slow & disinterested
  • Rotham doesn't offer much
  • Redden & Duggan poor decisions costly early
  • Total inability to counter early Swans run

Good to see people on here are wanting a rebuild after the preseason from hell. There are definitely no extenuating circumstances that might cause a result like this to happen.

Because OF COURSE being the worst impacted team in 2022 by COVID doesn’t matter, and the stupendous amount of injuries during the preseason to our most important players doesn’t matter, and the complete lack of conditioning prior to this match shouldn’t have had an impact.

This is the unfortunate reality, that we’re a hundred miles behind every other team simply through injury and COVID. Second half of 2021 aside, this is the reality of the situation - the assumption is being made that the 2 hours on the weekend that feature these players is enough to ascertain the full picture, but there’s 6 months of time that have lead to this point, and its been absolutely ****ed.

Last edited:
Look, I’m not gunna read 6 pages of negatives, cause I’m negative enough, so I don’t know if this is has been covered, but f**k me, something has to be done about the dropping the ball/incorrect disposal/blatant throws.

It’s been happening for years, across many teams, and it’s a blight on the game and the fault of the administrators and law makers and those who instruct the umpires.

So many times tonight, the Swans just flat out threw the ball, with an umpire right there, and it doesn’t get paid.

No way in hell do we win that game, but we’d be slightly more competitive if some of those blatant throws get called before the ball flies into the swans forward 50 for the 60th time. It’s absolutely infuriating, and makes me hate the game even more these days than I already do.

I pretty much watch the eagles games when I go to the game, and that’s it. I hardly watch away games cause the commentary is putrid and I get way too pissed off with everything, and I never watch any other games cause the state of the game is terrible and it’s been completely ruined.

I’ve gone full old man yells at cloud, but I’m fed up with this blatant cheating and the game is a shadow of what it used to be in the days I was a kid (the 90s) when I lived and breathed AFL. Maybe I’ve grown up, but it’s sad that I’m on the verge of giving it away all together and just focussing on other sports.
I'm full old man and can't agree more... at 1 stage tonight I thought was watching a rolling maul. In addition, and in spite of 2018, the move to Optus has sucked the life out of the supporters... I don't think they have the love to lift a flagging team.
PS... Witherden is not the answer to any question that's asked.

The worst thing is that Simmo talked about the risk in at least two media conferences in the last week. Specifically said they had stuffed it up last year against the Bulldogs, then the same thing happened tonight.

It was so obvious at the game that we could not keep up with Sydney. It was embarrassing.

They really need to drop a couple of the "stars" that underperformed. Looking at the stats, one of Yeo or Kelly should be going back to the WAFL next week and having to force their way in.
Yeo is a critical player for us and deserves the right to come back into the team after one week in the WAFL. We saw at the end of last year when he was getting back to his old self the difference he makes around the contest.
Kelly has been our most consistent midfielder for the last 18mo. Covid/Injury just came the wrong time for him. Has to come straight back in. Kelly gets a bad wrap on this thread.
I was dissapointed to see O'Neill dropped after his best game though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is the unfortunate reality, that we’re a hundred miles behind every other team simply through injury and COVID.

Was it injuries and COVID that made us win 10 games last year and miss the finals?

We fielded a star studded, experienced team vs the Dogs in Rd 15 and lost by 55. It was 33 scoring shots to 13. Then we lost by 15 goals to Sydney in Geelong, and then to the wooden spooners at home.

The unfortunate reality is that we're just not very good. It's not 2 hours, it's 3.5 years. We've gone backwards each year since 2018. How many players on our list have enhanced their reputation since the 2018 flag? From the actual flag 22 I count Ryan, probably Sheed and Barrass. On top of that Allen, Waterman and newbies who hadn't yet featured. We've got a lot of players who are not at the level they were when we were contending.

I think the COVID/injury stuff has distracted a few people from the fact that with a pretty easy draw to start the year we'd be pushing shit uphill to have a positive W-L record anyway. We got flogged in the derby by a Freo team missing their midfield that is a borderline finals side to begin with.

There is something very stinky at Lathlain.

The list is beset by a huge number of problems.

Our on ball group possess none of the required traits of the modern player - strength, speed, resilience and aggression.

Our forward line is essentially dysfunctional as it has had the life starved out of it. There is essentially no one in our forward half of the ground for 70+% of the game.

Our back line has been beaten into submission. The weight of entries, the amount of time they are forced to be operating at maximum intensity simply overwhelms them. The mistakes made deep in defence would have made an under 15's coach ropeable. Basic, simple football fundamentals have been lost.

I think we are well past the point of thinking a fit Eagles 22 could contend.

Burn the lost down and start again.

Shuey - retire
Hurn - retire
JK - retire
NN - retire
Gaff - trade. I'd take a late second.
Darling - put him in the seconds and get the guy fit. If his ego can't hack it, pack his bags.

Sack every last useless inhabitant of the S&C department. They are incapable of preparing AFL ready footballers.

Match Committee. Buggered if I know who is on it but they need to turn over at least 50% of them. D-grade lawn bowls selectors are more ruthless and demanding of their players.

Simpson. If the players selected won't play the way he has instructed them he needs to find players on the list who will. Or he needs to accept defeat and jog tf on.

How can a club go from premiers to a complete basket case in just a few short years? It's Baffling.

Good post, yet the one person who has implemented and still runs it all you want to continue.
If you are going to clean out then the coach is very very important that it is changed.

I’m just so glad Trevor sent a note out to make this an annual marquee game. The AFL are going to really believe we deserve this slot. And to think the tv crew were on double time to record such a crap performance

Coaches often talk about being disappointed about being beaten by what you know. Why then embarrass yourself by telling stories of how what you’re about to do has not worked yet still do exactly the same.

Good to see people on here are wanting a rebuild after the preseason from hell. There are definitely no extenuating circumstances that might cause a result like this to happen.

Because OF COURSE being the worst impacted team in 2022 by COVID doesn’t matter, and the stupendous amount of injuries during the preseason to our most important players doesn’t matter, and the complete lack of conditioning prior to this match shouldn’t have had an impact.

This is the unfortunate reality, that we’re a hundred miles behind every other team simply through injury and COVID. Second half of 2021 aside, this is the reality of the situation - the assumption is being made that the 2 hours on the weekend that feature these players is enough to ascertain the full picture, but there’s 6 months of time that have lead to this point, and its been absolutely f’ed.
Nah

Its just a continuation from last years gutless and heartless team

Sydney fans talking about how good their recruiting is other than the academy selections shit me. They sound like rich kids talking about how they don't care about money.

2020: Pick 4 then immediately pick 5 as an academy selection
2019: pick 5
2018: pick 10 as an academy selection
2015: pick 3 as an academy selection
2014: pick 2 for pick 18 as an academy selection (old rules)

I mean finding Tom McCartin at pick 30 is great, but Sydney minus Mills, Heeney, Blakey are a different proposition. Double up top 5 picks and gaining access to top 5 talent when you are competing for a flag is a huge advantage.

I don't want to come onto your board and rub salt into the wound but I want to dispute this a bit. I mean in the last 4 or 5 years Sydney have drafted McCartin, Warner, McInerney, Florent, Rowbottom, Hayward and McLean from picks outside the top 10, often well outside the top 10, and academy guys like Gulden were drafted with picks in the 30's meaning every team passed over him twice.

Yes the academy helped but ultimately the players that helped were Mills, Heeney, Blakey and Campbell, which is a minority of our team. Without the great recruiting of te above listed players (players every team had access to) we would be nowhere.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back