Autopsy Positives and Negatives vs Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

Negatives -

• Went back to stale old ball movement.
  • Went back to outdated zone defense that gets carved up in todays game.
  • Senior players failing to perform.
  • Bringing in back underdone senior players. Not surprising why they underperformed.
  • JD not doing much. Was lucky to get a free kick from the oppo throw.
  • Hurn clearly cooked.
  • Langdon pretty much playing the old Masto aerobic sweeper role but likely due to poor coaching. Also lacking consistency.
  • Willie's injury may rule him out for weeks.
  • Rotham same old stale ball mover and composure issues. Has to go when Gov comes back.
  • Dixon is NOT a first ruck as he's a bit undersized for it.

Meh =

= Redden was pretty decent.
= Rioli's magic was nullified but didn't play badly.
= Cripps decent on his first game back.
= Jones although didn't do much still tackled well unlike most of our guys.

Positives +

• I fell asleep before the game started and woke up midway on the second term to see us 50 - 0 down so I didn't see the onslaught.
  • Barrass probably our best. Took his marks.
  • H.Edwards looked good in the backline. Has to stay even if Gov comes back.
  • Naish had intent despite not always coming off.
  • Witherden was defending was decent and was good with ball in hand.
  • JK made the most of limited opportunities from a side getting smashed. Limping to 700.
  • B.Williams showing promise especially in the centre bounce.
  • Ryan probably our best forward. Worked hard and not getting much support.
  • Dixon was good on ground level and competed well in the ruck but was rucked a bit too much as if a first ruck.

Final thoughts.

I've penciled this game as a loss already. In my prediction thread I've had them beating us by 78 points if nothing changes but still have us losing if things go well for the team. We only managed to get some momentum back but that was mainly the Swans taking their foot off the pedal than us dominating.

Had Buddy been fit he would've kicked ten goals thus we're likely to lose by over 100 point and don't get the momentum in the third term as Buddy would be clunking everything.

If Naish gets dropped for Gaff then may as well burn the club to the ground.

I reckon we got lucky against Collingwood the club should've been 0-5 in reality as Collingwood's entries are dogsh*t and plus they don't have competent forwards to counter Gov's influence plus they kept on missing whereas we made our shots. Against Freo and the Swans we got badly exposed once the oppo midfield got on top.

Yeah losing used to really suck but now its more surprising when we win.

We also have lost our ability to flat track.

If we SOMEHOW do get a 5 goal lead we at some point let the other side get the lead or get close before kicking a couple.

Oh to SMASH a side again.

Gonna be a good 2-3 years to wait til we see a 10 goal win imo

+ Tommy Barrass
Liam did a couple of nice things.
Naish's kicking was a bit off but he still went ok.
Yeo and Kelly got better as the game progressed.
Bailey got better and he tried but he's a long way from a footballer.

- Yeo, Shuey and Kelly weren't sighted in the first qtr.
Willie probably should be dropped on that effort, disinterested, lazy and basically CGAF.
Hurn has the old man's disease - dropsy, if you don't win the ball fall over.
JK would still be handy in a good side, we aren't.
Darling is another who should play WAFL next week, half the time he doesn't even put his hands in the air to pretend he's having a go.

Watching from where I sit (top level behind the goals) it's obvious where we fall down defensively. The guys busting a gut to get back defensively were all the kids plus Darling puts in more than his fair share. I know he's a whipping boy on here now but he genuinely has a crack and covers alot of ground.

All the credits in the bank crew who walked into the team were pretty universally pathetic with there efforts defensively feom i what i saw. Lots of strolling through the middle while relying on others to bust a gut to cover their men.

Truly a spectacular failure at the selection table

See, the thing about Williams, is that i think we have now set the bar really low for him, that when he literally does anything, it's good enough :thumbsdownemoji:

Let's be honest. Ladhams is a total hack normally. He's not a good ruckman at all, and yet he was easily the best on the ground tonight. Bailey made him look like Simon Madden FFS. 24 disposals, 5 clearances, 24 hitouts, 2 tackles and a goal.

Can you imagine if Hickey was actually playing? Or any first string ruckman? He'd have given Bailey the full run around.

Hats off to the big fella for scrapping his way in the second half and hitting the scoreboard. But for a second round draft pick who was supposed to be this talented freak with his jump and athleticism going into his 4th season etc etc.... he's fairly average.

Bailey finishing with 11 disposals, 7 contested, 3 clearances, 2 marks, 2 tackles and a goal doesn't sound terrible technically... but then he only got 15 hitouts. FIFTEEN. And 7 clangers. Against a FWD/RCK part timer like Ladhams FFS. What happened to him having a bigger leap than Naitanui????

I mean gee whiz. If we think this bloke can even remotely lead our ruck division whilst Naitanui is out, we've got another thing coming. Strnadica needs to play. Huge is a perfect 2nd ruckman, he stays. But you can't keep Williams in after a whole 15 hitouts. Even Huge had 11 himself.

Wasn't remotely our worst player, but if you're asking who takes #1 ruck spot next week, i'd give it to Strnadica. Williams is too undersized.

Why were Nelson and Kennedy smiling at the end of the game there? A real lack of care about the performance

I thought Yeo looked smug and not at all interested pre game and even on field in the 1st half. Just looked like he knew he wasnt fit or in form and was there to blow the cobwebs out.

Gov out was a big hole to fill.

And I couldnt even drink watching that......

The trouble with Billiams is he's the forward part of a ruck-forward and the ruck part of a forward-ruck.
Positive: Tonight’s drubbing gave birth to this post.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Positives:

Naish is a find. Not a great game by him but still trying the corridor kicks whenever possible.

Was impressed by some of Witherden's defensive efforts (TBH i did miss some chunks of the game). Was worried he was just an offensive assest but proving me wrong.

Obvious Williams isn't ready for the number one ruck role yet but he does show a lot of signs for a young ruck that he will be handy in a few years.

Bottom 4 for us. Game plan still sucks. No tall forwards - JD is a 3rd tall only, as he isn't fast enough or tall enough for the present day game. JK is trying his heart out, but is up against it and in his very last days; get to his 700 goals and retire him.
Lack of run and speed.
Hasn't Naish been a good get? The only positive for me.

Looked out and watched a bunch of regulars come back in with more established regulars and guess what. We reverted back to that stale, old, kick, chip crap game plan and style.

Play more of the the new kids = newer game style with heaps more energy and intent.

Wow, who woulda thought!

I really hope someone on the selection committee notices as well.

Looked out and watched a bunch of regulars come back in with more established regulars and guess what. We reverted back to that stale, old, kick, chip crap game plan and style.

Play more of the the new kids = newer game style with heaps more energy and intent.

Wow, who woulda thought!

I really hope someone on the selection committee notices as well.

There was a moment tonight where Hurn had the ball running out of defence, had options to pull the trigger and go quick, hesitated, turned back, handballed sideways to Foley..... who ran passed at pace and nailed a tough kick to Naish, who also turned and went and tried to hit a tough kick to Ryan (I think) who would've been nearly in on goal. The kick missed and got intercepted but that play said it all to me. The kids just go, have a crack and see what happens. And if they heck it up, they're the ones busting a gut to get back.

The old guys want to hold it up in case a mistake happens.

Play the kids

Not sure if Simmo got in Naish's ear at half time or what.

He had about 16 touches in the first half and already 400 odd metres gained on the board (i remember noticing and was amazed).

And then finished the game with 26 touches, and 482MG. So completely stopped kicking the ball long and carrying the footy.

Looking back i feel all his 2nd half touches were mostly back half handballs and less attacking the corridor or kicking it forward.

On reflection I thought Dixon tried hard. Didn't do much but competes and follows up with second efforts. If Darling doesn't mark the ball at centre wing he just jogs behind his opponent, Gaff style. If it's Dixon he at least follows up and tries to win the ball at ground level or pressure his opponent.

Thought Naish was poor, but still one of our better mids. Redden had 14 handballs and felt like every single one went to a teammate under pressure.

Jones was back to 2021 Jones and not involved in the play. 73% TOG and spent time forward so was never going to get 30 touches. Loved watching him get wrapped up in a tackle and conceding a HTB free kick (hey that rule still exists) because he actually tried to take the game on and get the ball moving forward instead of just chipping it sideways 10m or handballing up in the air like a hot potato.

Hurn looked really poor. Not a calming head in the defensive 50, not reliable with ball in hand. And WTF happened to Rotham? 2nd in the comp in marks per game last year, now looks like a deer in headlights.

Yeah. I like Jones, i like the way he can make stuff happen, but he's probably (for once) actually due to be dropped now.

Aaaand then i see the alternative is Petrucelle and would prefer Jones stays in the side.

Jones had 19 pressure acts, 4 tackles.

Cripps had 12 and 2.

Rioli 13 and 5.

Langdon 20 and 3.

Ryan 11 and 3.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back