Player Watch Mason Cox

Remove this Banner Ad

from what I recall he had 8 kicked on him in 3 consecutive weeks, a skinny kid asked to play on big forwards when he only had a few games under his belt, it was brutal.

It wasn't consecutive, they won their next two games. But then Thompson 8, Brown 8, Neitz 6... misses 7 games... Burton 7, Bradshaw 4, Rocca 4, Longmuir 4 and that was it for him at Hawthorn...

I'm in the minority, possible even on my own, I think Mason needs to have some faith shown in him. Keep him in the forward line for a few more games, give him say, 5 games to prove his worth. If he is in and out like a yo-yo, his confidence will never rise.
He might be 30ish but he's still an athlete with a brain, he would know he had a shocker and know that he needs to do more. He also might know it's time to make a call, for his eyes and body.

I'm in the minority, possible even on my own, I think Mason needs to have some faith shown in him. Keep him in the forward line for a few more games, give him say, 5 games to prove his worth. If he is in and out like a yo-yo, his confidence will never rise.
He might be 30ish but he's still an athlete with a brain, he would know he had a shocker and know that he needs to do more. He also might know it's time to make a call, for his eyes and body.
Yep, I think you're on your Pat Malone

He's had 7 years and almost 80 odd games to prove his worth. Out of those 80 odd games, you can count on one hand where he has stood up and contributed effectively.

The rest of those has been the same consistent face palm where he plays a below average if not shocking game.

He's had 7 years and almost 80 odd games to prove his worth. Out of those 80 odd games, you can count on one hand where he has stood up and contributed effectively.

The rest of those has been the same consistent face palm where he plays a below average if not shocking game.

The vfl team needs a Ruck that's where he should stay.

The level of vitriol for Mason on here and from the social media hordes is unwarranted. He is not a superstar, he is a player on minimum wage and he tries his heart out for the club and had a bad game. Those saying he should be deported to the US should be ashamed of themselves, he has given his best to the club and brought entertainment to many fans along the journey.

Last edited:
I've always enjoyed the mason Cox journey.

Truly an amazing story.

Shame he didn't start this journey a bit younger.

He is struggling and unfortunately seems this will be his last year ..at Collingwood and maybe the AFL.

I feel he will be in the media.

I will never bag Cox harshly as he has Been our most successful experiment maybe except for Marty Clarke ( first time)

Great shame 2018 he didn't get a premiership medallion

Cheers

You're not on your own in thinking that - I think most of us have thought that multiple times over the last few years, but...

The problem with mason is that he only hits form for a quarter and then it vanishes....although he played a really good last half in the vfl last week. If he did happen to jag a few goals in a game, you couldnt be confident that he would roll up and do the same the next week.

And we're not going to win a premiership this year... so the process of giving him a chance is mainly so that the whole list keeps faith that they will be given a chance to show their wares before being delisted. I'm not sure that's enough to persist with him. I said in the earlier post that the coach seems to be using this year to give the more senior players a chance before going with the youngsters....the slate was cleaned and everyone started from scratch. It's a good idea for a new coach to do that...but hard decisions have to be made at the end of the year. We need maximum new kids on the list

Getting tired of the constant carping about Cox. He is close to the end, he may never play again and he probably shouldn’t have played on Thursday night. He practically carried the VFL side to victory last week and was rewarded with a recall.

We’ve heard he was thinking of retiring after 2021 and was asked to stay on by Fly. And Fly - by his own admission - is still learning about his players and mixing it up a bit. That’s seems a reasonable scenario in which to recall Cox.

Doubt if we see him again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Getting tired of the constant carping about Cox. He is close to the end, he may never play again and he probably shouldn’t have played on Thursday night. He practically carried the VFL side to victory last week and was rewarded with a recall.

We’ve heard he was thinking of retiring after 2021 and was asked to stay on by Fly. And Fly - by his own admission - is still learning about his players and mixing it up a bit. That’s seems a reasonable scenario in which to recall Cox.

Doubt if we see him again.
I think Cameron being injured may give him a reprieve. He got recalled off the back of his ruck form in the VFL yet had barely any ruck time since Cameron took the bulk of the 2nd ruck minutes.

On the flip side he really did his best to play himself out of the side so may get dropped regardless.

I think Cameron being injured may give him a reprieve. He got recalled off the back of his ruck form in the VFL yet had barely any ruck time since Cameron took the bulk of the 2nd ruck minutes.

On the flip side he really did his best to play himself out of the side so may get dropped regardless.

I know it’s a long way off and a long shot but isn’t his partner one of the netball girls? If he makes 100 and let’s face it we need to be down the bottom for 1-2 years to really build a list. Talls are all old except Moore. If he stays in Aus and has a boy. Height won’t be a problem and we get the training in early. 10 - 12 game this season and 8 next as a fill in.

Yep, I think you're on your Pat Malone
As terrible as he was I think I'd play him again. Having seen the Hawks exposed going with one ruckman I wouldn't tempt fate. If McCeery is ready I'd probably go with a smaller set up with Checkers and Krueger as our marking options. I'd have Cox on the bench as ruck relief and to stretch a short Bomber's defense if the smalls aren't firing. Cox has a habit of pulling out a good game on the big occasions. I think a couple more games to see if he can clunk a few and if not he can stay in the VFL.

As terrible as he was I think I'd play him again. Having seen the Hawks exposed going with one ruckman I wouldn't tempt fate. If McCeery is ready I'd probably go with a smaller set up with Checkers and Krueger as our marking options. I'd have Cox on the bench as ruck relief and to stretch a short Bomber's defense if the smalls aren't firing. Cox has a habit of pulling out a good game on the big occasions. I think a couple more games to see if he can clunk a few and if not he can stay in the VFL.
The thing is if Peter Wright gets on top on the ruck when he is up against Kruger they lose their only goal kicking option up forward

I know it’s a long way off and a long shot but isn’t his partner one of the netball girls? If he makes 100 and let’s face it we need to be down the bottom for 1-2 years to really build a list. Talls are all old except Moore. If he stays in Aus and has a boy. Height won’t be a problem and we get the training in early. 10 - 12 game this season and 8 next as a fill in.
Yeah, why not a bit of eugenics? We’ve tried everything else.

The thing is if Peter Wright gets on top on the ruck when he is up against Kruger they lose their only goal kicking option up forward
NO way would I use Kreuger in the ruck. We finally have a dangerous forward but he is fragile so let's not increase his chances of him doing a knee or ankle.

NO way would I use Kreuger in the ruck. We finally have a dangerous forward but he is fragile so let's not increase his chances of him doing a knee or ankle.
If we continue to play Moore, Roughy, Howe and Madgen, why not use Roughy or Moore as the second ruck? There's nothing in stone enforcing it to be a forward

Does any team use a defender? I don’t think modern defensive structures would allow for it
I don't see why not. Even though the KPD's don't do much bench time, they do usually do some when they have to adjust to a player replaced and they seem to rotate through different players or positions in the zone regularly. I think they're expected to be pretty flexible.

I've also never understand why we are so worried about the possibility of copping a goal due to our defensive structure changing for a few minutes a quarter, but don't seem to care about losing goals with our forward structure changing to one tall for big chunks of time.

Coxy's alright, made the most of his footy as a stranger to the game but it might be time to put a fork in him
Probably sums up how I feel too. Would have liked him to grab his chance. But he could have hardly been worse up in Brisbane. It's time to look elsewhere I think.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back