Player Watch Lachlan Sholl

Remove this Banner Ad

Excellent signing/extension :thumbsu: Sholl will be a very important player for us going forward.

I remember a few years back when Port were garbage, they seemed to be able to sign every one of their players without issue. At the time I remember wondering why they were able to do that so easily while we were having players leave us every year while contending for premierships. And yet, sure enough, now that we're at arguably our lowest ebb, we seem to be able to sign everyone we want up as well!

Is there something about being in a low-performing team that lends itself to players extending their contracts? Does it galvanize a playing group, almost force them to bunker in and bond together? Is it that they see more opportunities? Are they excited about fighting their way back up the ladder?

Or is it just that we've got a bit more money to splash around now?
I guess you have to look at what has changed. The answer will lay within those changes.

We have a new head coach

We have a new coaching team

We have moved some of the older members from the management group (Fagan, Chapman in particular)

Perhaps Olsen helped

We have moved on a lot of older players...some good some not so good. Some demanding more money and not getting it. This alone can cause a air of disgruntlement that can easily permeate through the group.

The younger players are going to grow up together and they know they are the future

Even having a more focused attempt at getting us located Within the city.

With so many changes culture will also change and at the moment the changes appear to be having a positive effect.

This news is what's keeping me interested in the game still - seeing the kids progress and building a positive culture and "enjoyment" factor.
Definitely the one youngster that has earned a contract extension. Don't know if it's been mentioned before, but dare i say it...captain material?

Sholl's signing is great news, all round.
If anyone had any doubts about him, look at his presser in which he has to control himself to stop smiling, such is his obvious happiness:
He's guileless, open, loves the Club and his young mates, all of which speak volumes for the group, Nicks too, and how they see their future together. Watching that presser this morning, crook, tired from coughing and not at all optimistic about the Crows has cheered me up immensely.
Re-signing such a quality player and quality young man has given me some hope and optimism.

By the way, what does he do in his time off? See:
He spends a lot of time with Wazza (Worrell) working on contested ball and other aspects of his game --- which also speaks highly of Worrell.
I wonder what Fogarty/McAdam/Rowe/Berg/Frampton and other under-achievers might accomplish with their work ethic.

What has happened to this bloke? His kicking which was his strength now looks like his weakness.

His first full season has well and truly caught up with him is my guess, seeing he was pulling some big running games earlier in the year. Plus probably some confidence issues that have arisen from fatigue which is likely impacting.

What has happened to this bloke? His kicking which was his strength now looks like his weakness.
He looks cooked.......

He smashed himself over preseason and early in the season

He needs to physically and mentally refresh before attacking a new preseason and getting a bit stronger

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rowie was saying last week that Sholl is burnt out. He was saying how he does the most amount of extra fitness sessions in the club.

His form has suffered from being burnt out.

How did they let it get to this point?

What can the club do if he's doing it outside of official training sessions?

Similar to the stories of Scott Thompson going to gyms all over Adelaide and the club trying to stop him.

He'll just have to learn to be smarter about his workload.

Worries me that he'll struggle to gain muscle if he's doing too much cardio work and pushing himself to exhaustion.

What can the club do if he's doing it outside of official training sessions?

Similar to the stories of Scott Thompson going to gyms all over Adelaide and the club trying to stop him.

He'll just have to learn to be smarter about his workload.

Worries me that he'll struggle to gain muscle if he's doing too much cardio work and pushing himself to exhaustion.

There was nothing to suggest he's doing this away from the club.

Thread title says it all.

You can’t win with guys like this. Trade him while the Vic media still think he’s some elite wingman.

Soft. Weak. Next.

Cannot like this enough. Watch him from behind the goals, not sure I've ever seen a player deviate off the line as much as he does

He's been very good this year. Having a shithouse week.

Not asking him to be a contested player but he literally runs a weave pattern or slows down to avoid a ball or contest if it seems there will be contact.

Does it numerous times, just go back and look at how he let Bontempelli waltz through to win the ball and kick the final goal in Ballarat last week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back