Player Watch Lachlan Sholl

Remove this Banner Ad

Excellent signing/extension :thumbsu: Sholl will be a very important player for us going forward.

I remember a few years back when Port were garbage, they seemed to be able to sign every one of their players without issue. At the time I remember wondering why they were able to do that so easily while we were having players leave us every year while contending for premierships. And yet, sure enough, now that we're at arguably our lowest ebb, we seem to be able to sign everyone we want up as well!

Is there something about being in a low-performing team that lends itself to players extending their contracts? Does it galvanize a playing group, almost force them to bunker in and bond together? Is it that they see more opportunities? Are they excited about fighting their way back up the ladder?

Or is it just that we've got a bit more money to splash around now?

Very interesting reflections.

Its probably some of that .... plus some of a large-ish cohort of lads being picked over a couple of years getting along well/becoming mates and wanting to take the journey together. I think that the fact that so many of these dudes are from interstate has actually helped in this case. They are all here together, bonding their little socks off, getting opportunities and not living with family and mates nagging them about playing for a dud team etc.

What I really want to think is that the culture of the club is outstanding. It certainly seems a happier place than it has been for years.

Is there something about being in a low-performing team that lends itself to players extending their contracts? Does it galvanize a playing group, almost force them to bunker in and bond together? Is it that they see more opportunities? Are they excited about fighting their way back up the ladder?

Or is it just that we've got a bit more money to splash around now?
Sholl's not that far removed from being in a precarious position. It took him 18 months to get into the side and a while to actually start putting in regular performances.

He's a great signing but it's not hard to see why he would be eager to cement continued footy.

Sholl's not that far removed from being in a precarious position. It took him 18 months to get into the side and a while to actually start putting in regular performances.

He's a great signing but it's not hard to see why he would be eager to cement continued footy.

You're kidding right? There'd be a half dozen Victorian sides lining up to take him if he wanted.

I'm not saying they weren't after him. I'm saying Adelaide shoved a new contract under his face as soon as possible.
Why wouldn't they, young, talented, fully bought into the club, group and Adelaide in general...Justin Reid doing his job and getting it done and dusted.

Out of all the players over the years Scholl reminds me a lot of McLeod, he has that silky smoothness about him at times.
Hopefully he has a fantastic career.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Out of all the players over the years Scholl reminds me a lot of McLeod, he has that silky smoothness about him at times.
Hopefully he has a fantastic career.
No one compares to Bungie but Sholl has shown a lot of improvement over the last 12 months.

Very interesting reflections.

Its probably some of that .... plus some of a large-ish cohort of lads being picked over a couple of years getting along well/becoming mates and wanting to take the journey together. I think that the fact that so many of these dudes are from interstate has actually helped in this case. They are all here together, bonding their little socks off, getting opportunities and not living with family and mates nagging them about playing for a dud team etc.

What I really want to think is that the culture of the club is outstanding. It certainly seems a happier place than it has been for years.
Definitely think age profile helps. So many young guys, it's almost usually the reverse where the young guys are the odd men out from the more senior players. It's a probably less of an issue for guys like Tex, Sloane and Talia since they're all raising kids now, whereas I think if you were a smaller group of young guys like that would be a bigger impact, especially socially.

Why wouldn't they, young, talented, fully bought into the club, group and Adelaide in general...Justin Reid doing his job and getting it done and dusted.
I said only a week or so ago we should be signing up our best young talent on longer front loaded contracts.... but thought you disagreed... ;)

Smart list management by Reid to lock in our best young talent... & Sholl is amongst our best.

I said only a week or so ago we should be signing up our best young talent on longer front loaded contracts.... but thought you disagreed... ;)

Smart list management by Reid to lock in our best young talent... & Sholl is amongst our best.
More money to offer the youngsters instead of the experience players who would earn more money than you would normally pay them happen with a young list, as long as he is getting near or slight under what the other clubs offers him why would he leave if he like his working environment. I wonder if Sholl got a god father offer like Lever or McGovern got? Unlikely given he is still very young and isn't a KPP so it's much better to offer him more now to build a better rapport then find out in a few years time I guess. IMO, he will be getting around what Lever and McGovern got offered when they turned 22-23 and if a club offers him a god father contract of $800-850K when he is older he might stay for $700K.

Another 2018 draft disaster and poor list management. 🙄

I must have missed it in Club's release that he was on a front loaded contract?

You got a link?

I must have missed it in Club's release that he was on a front loaded contract?

You got a link?
We are signing our younger players up long term at lower money than if we waited... & it's likely many are front loaded... given we have cap space.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back