Review Ummm… embarrassingly bad Port v Freo

Remove this Banner Ad

If they are not gonna pick a ruck, Dixon has to do the vast majority of it.

Anyway the season is gonesky
Hayes had Covid, Teakle a broken collarbone and Lycett wasn't fit still. That would leave Dante as the only ruck option. I'm not knocking you, but would you have picked Dante? I think he's a talent but I don't think he quite ready for aFL.

I don't know if the Robbie and Marshall misses were complete chokes in front of goal. That comeback gassed the players and they were out on their feet at the end of it. Marshall was up and down the ground a lot. Kicking on tired legs is a different proposition to kicking on fresh legs.
We didn't lose the game because of the 2 misses or Georgiades missing either. We lost because, again we tried to play Finlayson as our ruck and we got dominated in the middle because they got first use of the ball and they scored heavily on us. We only started scoring due to individual acts especially Dixon's 2 goals and got a bit of a run on and Freo panicked and changed what they were doing.
Gold Coast should have beaten us last week but made too many mistakes to score heavily.
Hinkley probably thinks his decision to play Finlayson was the reason they won the game so did the same thing again the clueless idiot.
Reinforces my theory that we win in spite of Hinkley not because of him.

Good game Port fans. I knew going into the game that it was going to be a close one, the ladder doesn't really reflect how good your performances have been recently. Good luck for the rest of the season.

Oh, and sack Ken Hinkley... Am I doing it right?
Was an entertaining game of footy. But unfortunately we've seen this movie before. Many, many times

Fantastic fight back led by a few, most of the others ( like usual) are just there for the ride.

Can't beat real good sides when you have atleast 5+ players that are way below AFL standard and most of those will never be AFL standard.

Ken isn't a good coach, that's evidently clear for all to see but anyone thinking that getting a new coach and away we go will be massively disappointed.

Our defense is absolute trash. Has been for years and the only time it's capable of doing anything good is if we can make the ball movement slow and get big numbers back to help out. Reasonable tactic if you intend to play average sides all year long but fails miserably against good sides.

DBJ is a joke. How this guy is playing AFL footy is beyond me but to think he's part of the leadership group defies all logic. He's soley responsible for half forward really hurting us game after game after game and he doesn't even try to address this. Doesn't check, doesn't tackle with intent, just does whatever he wants and blames everyone else.

This game was lost because of numerous pathetic efforts by many players after about 10 mins in to the 1st and it continued until 3qtr time. The only reason we were able to launch a comeback was because the ball barely got in to their forward half.

The biggest fault with our Club at the moment is the acceptance of effort. After the Preliminary last year heads should have rolled, but they didn't and every single game guys pick and choose and the beat goes on. It wouldn't matter who was coach you can't honestly be anything serious when we have so many that are nowhere near brave or tough enough.

For years we have battled on off the backs of individual effort that has papered over so many cracks. Robbie Gray, Boak, Wines, Dixon and recently the sublime ability of Rozee. Others play parts every so often but it's been a long, long time since collectively I've seen this side show a total team commitment to the cause. Maybe Richmond at home a few years back was the last time there was a total buy in and willingness to play Port Adelaide footy from start to finish. That's on Ken, thats on his acceptance of effort that wouldn't be allowed at many other Clubs, especially the successful ones.

We need a rebuild. Not just of an aging playing list but of the whole philosophy about who we are and what we stand for because far too many times what I'm seeing doesn't represent what I believe to be the ethos of the Port Adelaide Football Club.

Too many pretenders, too many not prepared to do whats required when it's their turn.

Administration, coaching, fitness and players. They all are complicant and Ken simply can't be the person to right this wrong.

Great fightback but many efforts throughout far below what the bare minimum can be for an AFL team.

We didn't lose the game because of the 2 misses or Georgiades missing either. We lost because, again we tried to play Finlayson as our ruck and we got dominated in the middle because they got first use of the ball and they scored heavily on us. We only started scoring due to individual acts especially Dixon's 2 goals and got a bit of a run on and Freo panicked and changed what they were doing.
Gold Coast should have beaten us last week but made too many mistakes to score heavily.
Hinkley probably thinks his decision to play Finlayson was the reason they won the game so did the same thing again the clueless idiot.
Reinforces my theory that we win in spite of Hinkley not because of him.
I agree whole-heartedly. Finlayson in ruck is something we should do for 5 minutes per game. Dixon on the other hand is a viable second ruckman.

I didn't feel any sort of excitement when we were coming back, nor did I feel any sort of disappointment when we inevitably lost. I am beyond bored of everything to do with this club right now.
Same mate, I knew how the comeback would most probably end and that’s the way it did end, seen it too many times with Port, I just watched with my arms crossed, emotionless, thinking ‘surprise me Port’

Hayes had Covid, Teakle a broken collarbone and Lycett wasn't fit still. That would leave Dante as the only ruck option. I'm not knocking you, but would you have picked Dante? I think he's a talent but I don't think he quite ready for aFL.
No I'm just saying Dixon is a better ruck than Jez, he needs to do the bulk.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I didn't feel any sort of excitement when we were coming back, nor did I feel any sort of disappointment when we inevitably lost. I am beyond bored of everything to do with this club right now.

I was worried we might win it , hinkley has ruined pafc for me

Not the first time Geogiades has had a magnificent mark followed up with blowing the set shot.

And quite frankly I am tired of it.
He’s just not very smart or composed. Let’s himself and the team down with immature and thoughtless stuff all the time - free kicks, playing from behind and being outmarked, spoiling teammates who have clear marking opportunities, muffed shots on goal but worst of all horrific decision making when streaming into 50 with little pressure on him.

He’s got so much to like, but it’s exhausting watching him stuff up golden chances.

He didn't play Hayes last week, what make you think all of a sudden he'll play him again. And maybe if he didn't think Hayes is up to it he shouldn't have traded Ladhams the clueless mutt.

He’s just not very smart or composed. Let’s himself and the team down with immature and thoughtless stuff all the time - free kicks, playing from behind and being outmarked, spoiling teammates who have clear marking opportunities, muffed shots on goal but worst of all horrific decision making when streaming into 50 with little pressure on him.

He’s got so much to like, but it’s exhausting watching him stuff up golden chances.
Needs a good teaching coach

Despite the loss, you can’t knock the endeavour & fighting spirit that the boys put up. I’m sick of focusing on the negatives so here’s to the positives I see going forward.

• Rozee is fast becoming our best player, & one of the best mids of the comp.
  • Bergman is going to be a very good player.
  • SPP is invaluable to this team now.
  • Marshall, Georgiades & Lord will eventually become the best tall forward combination in the AFL
  • Mead reminds me of a young Sam Mitchell, who with added experience & roving to a recognised ruck will eventually evolve into a very good player.
  • Well done Burger, performed admirably for a first gamer. Distinctive kicking action.

I don’t think all is doom & gloom going forward. When you consider what Butters, Duursma, Bonner, Teakle, Fanta, Sinn & Pasini could add to this line up, + some handy pick ups in the Draft/Trade period we’re not looking to bad.

That's the first time I can recall where robbie the great man has failed us in the most clutch of clutch situations.
Robbie Gray misses a lot of very gettable set shots.

He's clutch when it comes to the go ahead shot. But other times? Not so much.
Not angry at Todd. He's been great lately.

Georgiadis storming forward with no one to kick to is on the coaches for bad game plan. Granted he makes the worst of worst decisions but if he had a clear target to kick to then he wouldn't have.
He had Marshall to kick to if he kicked it much earlier.

Or Marshall shouldn't have led up the ground so early leaving himself in no mans land. Take your pick on which stuffed up the most there. Georgie probably gets the most blame, because he then stuffed up the handball option Rozee.

Although Rozee still would've had no one to kick to since Marshall had led up early.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back