AFL Player # 8: Ben "Goblin" Hobbs

Remove this Banner Ad

What a beast.

Unfortunately though he’s not a 188cm+ big bodied inside mid so trade at seasons end 😏😏

With Hobbs on the small (but thick) side and Perkins 188 and strong through the hips, it would be nice to add a 190cm+ midfielder to the bunch to round out the run of Martin and Durham for a long-term gun midfield.

In my opinion, we'll be a good side when we have midfielders surpassing Merrett and Parish. Having McGrath down back and a half-forward line with Merret and Parish makes for a very good midfield. Of course, a spine would be good.

He does some nice things and that last quarter was a handy indicator he's capable through the middle when given a chance.

Bit nitpicky but when forward, he does need to get better at getting the ball on his boot quicker. Has burned a few chances this season either taking too long to kick or trying to get himself the perfect chance rather than taking the one he has.

He does some nice things and that last quarter was a handy indicator he's capable through the middle when given a chance.

Bit nitpicky but when forward, he does need to get better at getting the ball on his boot quicker. Has burned a few chances this season either taking too long to kick or trying to get himself the perfect chance rather than taking the one he has.
From memory he had a chance to kick a goal but right when he was about to kick it he saw another player free in the goal square in the corner of his eye. Maybe he needs to learn to be more selfish? He only had a split second to react. For a first year player he is definitely on the right track :)

Bonus is he is a good overhead mark for his size. Handy when he is resting forward.

Has genuinely surprised me in this area. Outpointing McCartin in that marking contest was pretty bloody impressive considering McCartin was easily moving our key forwards out of the way in marking contests without much effort for most of the night.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And not bullshit moments either that you look back on in five years and cringe to yourself that you were so desperate for hope that you got suckered in by

From today, you can point to

• That slick as hell clearance on the defensive 50m line in the first that he got all the way past the defense for Wright to run in for an open goal
  • Toughing it out with a bung shoulder and continuing to play a contested game for three quarters while still having an impact
  • That incredible over the shoulder handball that hit a running Caldwell perfectly that led to a goal

And not bullshit moments either that you look back on in five years and cringe to yourself that you were so desperate for hope that you got suckered in by

From today, you can point to

• That slick as hell clearance on the defensive 50m line in the first that he got all the way past the defense for Wright to run in for an open goal
  • Toughing it out with a bung shoulder and continuing to play a contested game for three quarters while still having an impact
  • That incredible over the shoulder handball that hit a running Caldwell perfectly that led to a goal
Couple of beautiful goal assists in the last as well

Good signs that he was running well on the outside in the fourth quarter. Not a one trick pony can hold his own away from the contest

Thought his ball use inside 50 today was terrific, lowered his eyes and kicked to the forwards advantage. Something we haven't always done well.

Played on after that heavy knock early too and wasn't just coasting through, he kept competing. As each week goes by he continues to impress.

I had no idea we were getting such value selecting Ben.

I thought cool, we are getting a hard at it young player who will take time etc etc but he's doing things way above his age demographic and games played...

Still jolts me when the commentators say his age (18) and some of the things he's pulling off during games

I had no idea we were getting such value selecting Ben.

I thought cool, we are getting a hard at it young player who will take time etc etc but he's doing things way above his age demographic and games played...

Still jolts me when the commentators say his age (18) and some of the things he's pulling off during games
Same. He plays like it's his second or third year and as though he was a top 5 pick. He's going to be a gun.

Easy to forget he copped a massive knock to his shoulder after how well he played for the rest of the game. Elite.

I think the quality in Hobbs is his second, third and fourth efforts. If the ball is within his range, he does everything he can to either force a stoppage or win the ball himself. If he turns it over by hand, he'll tackle the player to force a stoppage. The best way to describe it is a very un-Essendon player (well Essendon of the last 18 years).
Once he composes himself in front of goal, this guy will be a beast. The next gen midfield is looking really good (Perkins, Caldwell, Hobbs).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back