2023/2024 Gold Coast Draft & Trade periods

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heard from some related Darwin locals that Willie Rioli being courted by Essendon. Dons offer better than current Eagles offer. Do not want to deal with their man at all.

Thought. If Rankin asks for a trade Eagles help you out by saying they will grab Rankin in psd if there. They do the Suns a solid and force Crows to trade fair. Would likely help squeeze a future 2nd out of the Crows at least.

Willie to the Suns for one of those 2022 2nd rounders Suns hold and likely wont use.

Darwin is a Suns zone and they are building a supporter base there. Not a bad small forward replacement. And Rioli's and AFL flags go hand in hand.

Eagles could also assist with a salary dump for Fiorini or Flanders.

Win win win.

Heard from some related Darwin locals that Willie Rioli being courted by Essendon. Dons offer better than current Eagles offer. Do not want to deal with their man at all.

Thought. If Rankin asks for a trade Eagles help you out by saying they will grab Rankin in psd if there. They do the Suns a solid and force Crows to trade fair. Would likely help squeeze a future 2nd out of the Crows at least.

Willie to the Suns for one of those 2022 2nd rounders Suns hold and likely wont use.

Darwin is a Suns zone and they are building a supporter base there. Not a bad small forward replacement. And Rioli's and AFL flags go hand in hand.

Win win win.
What are the odds that Rioli is in the league in 3 years time?

We will use those second rounders. For much needed draft points next year.

You can take fiorini for a 2023 3rd round.

What are the odds that Rioli is in the league in 3 years time?

We will use those second rounders. For much needed draft points next year.

You can take fiorini for a 2023 3rd round.

You would almost be getting him for a net zero cost.

And sure maybe for only three years as Rioli's dont normally play into their 30's.

Picks in the 2nd round and kids dont help the Suns make finals next year. So yes its a 3 year window with him. At a very low cost.

Win win win.
I'm always amazed clubs don't get more inventive. Downside of them all being run by bozo ex footballers cos of cronyism.

You would almost be getting him for a net zero cost.

And sure maybe for only three years as Rioli's dont normally play into their 30's.

Picks in the 2nd round and kids dont help the Suns make finals next year. So yes its a 3 year window with him. At a very low cost.

If Rioli was wanting to come to the GC (highly doubt it), I wouldn't be against having him on.
Given the uncertainty about his capacity to contribute (and even this year he is a decent player only) I don't think you can ask for that much in return.

I would want part of the trade to bring in draft picks / points for next year.
Ie. GC 2022 second + Collingwood 3rd round
for Rioli + West Coast 2023 3rd round.

Allows you to get 2 young kids into your set up a year earlier.

If Rioli was wanting to come to the GC (highly doubt it), I wouldn't be against having him on.
Given the uncertainty about his capacity to contribute (and even this year he is a decent player only) I don't think you can ask for that much in return.

I would want part of the trade to bring in draft picks / points for next year.
Ie. GC 2022 second + Collingwood 3rd round
for Rioli + West Coast 2023 3rd round.

Allows you to get 2 young kids into your set up a year earlier.

Fair :thumbsu:

Don't want to deal with WCE after the picks fiasco last time. Especially not for a player with 3 years left who is probably fringe for our team.

Most of our later picks will either go to the Lions for their 1st round pick or moved to 2923 to help with our academy players next year.

We just need a great/good/reliable key defender and a small defender. It is painfully obvious and has been for a long time.

Recruit nothing but those two positions this off season.

We just need a great/good/reliable key defender and a small defender. It is painfully obvious and has been for a long time.

Recruit nothing but those two positions this off season.
If we don't get Jones heads should roll he's an obvious one to fit that really bad need.

We should make an improved pitch to Daniel Rioli with $650k likely to be available.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If it’s an A grade mid it would instantly make us better (Dunkley, Smith). If not, we have more pressing needs. Just back in Anderson, Rowell, Hollands etc. to come along.

4 blokes is not enough. Need 6 quality mids that can go into the centre square.
Hollands will end up in there eventually but we don't really have anyone else on the list who can help move the chains. We need to bring some help in. Kids aren't going to cut it, we don't have the time to wait for them to develop.

Hollands will end up in there eventually but we don't really have anyone else on the list who can help move the chains. We need to bring some help in. Kids aren't going to cut it, we don't have the time to wait for them to develop.
We have players we could inject into the midfield rotations. Ainsworth, for example, or Rankine (on the younger side, Hollands or Davies. We just don’t. We run with the same set-up game in, game out: Miller, Anderson, Rowell. With Swallow a rotation, and maybe an odd change for one or two bounces.

We have players we could inject into the midfield rotations. Ainsworth, for example, or Rankine (on the younger side, Hollands or Davies. We just don’t. We run with the same set-up game in, game out: Miller, Anderson, Rowell. With Swallow a rotation, and maybe an odd change for one or two bounces.
Rankine doesn't work hard enough at a midfield stoppage. I'm not sure what it is, but when he isn't inside the inside 50 he just sorta floats round at a stoppage.
Davies is a long way off being ready, really needs to work on finding more of the footy and having an impact for longer.

If Ranks leaves I'd draft the best mid we can get as well as the best key back.

If you can't make a gun mid come we need to develop our own and need more bites at the cherry. Too much deadwood on our list.

Those last five minutes - so many chances and we stuffed them all. Chol's goal kicking, Luko's kick direct to opposition with a open field in front of him, Ellis fumbling, McPherson just being McPherson, Mac Andrew's goal attempt. Farrah and Andrew only two defenders to hold their head up so that's a plus AND we still almost won!

Those last five minutes - so many chances and we stuffed them all. Chol's goal kicking, Luko's kick direct to opposition with a open field in front of him, Ellis fumbling, McPherson just being McPherson, Mac Andrew's goal attempt. Farrah and Andrew only two defenders to hold their head up so that's a plus AND we still almost won!
Yeah, win was there on plate. We really have to focus on converting opportunities. In most games we failed miserably.

If Ranks leaves I'd draft the best mid we can get as well as the best key back.

If you can't make a gun mid come we need to develop our own and need more bites at the cherry. Too much deadwood on our list.
It will take 3-4 years to develop them.

I really believe Anderson and Rowell will be much better from this year experience. Just first year playing inside 100%, still only 21 years old, Rowell only 37 games, recovering from OP. They will play in the middle again next year.

Mac could almost become regular next year with extra 5-7kg.

Rankine doesn't work hard enough at a midfield stoppage. I'm not sure what it is, but when he isn't inside the inside 50 he just sorta floats round at a stoppage.
Davies is a long way off being ready, really needs to work on finding more of the footy and having an impact for longer.
Probably just hasn’t had as much experience with centre stoppages compared to forward stoppages, which are very different. Not that it matter’s if he is half out the door.

I agree with Davies. He should be developing in the VFL.

I’m not saying we don’t need a good mid. But they need to be upgraded on Fiorini etc. or why bother. A mid/forward is probably a good option to look for to add more variety.

But defence is my biggest concern. Not half backs, but lockdown defenders and talls that can take the best forwards.

It will take 3-4 years to develop them.

I really believe Anderson and Rowell will be much better from this year experience. Just first year playing inside 100%, still only 21 years old, Rowell only 37 games, recovering from OP. They will play in the middle again next year.

Mac could almost become regular next year with extra 5-7kg.

If you can get an experienced A grade midfielder sign me up. If you can't then maybe we should get a top 10 rated mid with good leadership that can grow with Anderson and Rowell.

If you can get an experienced A grade midfielder sign me up. If you can't then maybe we should get a top 10 rated mid with good leadership that can grow with Anderson and Rowell.
I doubt we have a A grade player lined up. It will be more experienced Anderson, Rowell, Davies and Swallow, Miller again. Bowes, Flanders depth. Hollands could get a sniff next year.

If we get pick 4 (5) for Rankine it will be interesting who we will pick up but IMO, probably a midfielder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back