Player Watch Jay Rantall (Delisted 2021)

Remove this Banner Ad

Probably the right decision but I still really feel for him because his attitude was top notch.

If he has a good attitude and can run all day why delist, looked ok as a tagger.

Any plans to put him on the rookie list?

Any young player delisted this year can consider themselves very unlucky. Hardly any VFL to develop their game.

This guy should have concentrated in Athletics not AFL footy. Great endurance runner but as far as footy smarts MEHHHHHH

In terms of % of players who make it, AFL is the easiest sport to earn a good income. Not saying it's easy, but easier than other sports.
I guess it helps that 22 players take the field instead of 11 or five

Yep, just didn't have the skill set to make it. I can't believe two Senior coachs gave him opportunity over others this year, ridiculous!
He definitely didn't have the skills or footy IQ to make it he's just an athlete that can run all day but not really find it. I gotta say I was concerned that he really wasn't coming on in the VFL either so it didn't surprise me that he was given the chop.

He definitely didn't have the skills or footy IQ to make it he's just an athlete that can run all day but not really find it. I gotta say I was concerned that he really wasn't coming on in the VFL either so it didn't surprise me that he was given the chop.
Gotta feel for him, as "what VFL"?!

For mine, Hine sometimes gets a stiffy for the two k time trial superstars. I'd have liked a better look at him though than what we got, because he, IMHO, had potential to be a good tagger. Not that you go out of your way to draft taggers, but the likes of Ling and Levi were terribly skilled, but were good (to excellent in the case of Ling) defensive mids who won their own pill.

Gotta feel for him, as "what VFL"?!

For mine, Hine sometimes gets a stiffy for the two k time trial superstars. I'd have liked a better look at him though than what we got, because he, IMHO, had potential to be a good tagger. Not that you go out of your way to draft taggers, but the likes of Ling and Levi were terribly skilled, but were good (to excellent in the case of Ling) defensive mids who won their own pill.

Rantal did not look like he would get the Big Body to be a Hard Tagger

Real chance to make some decent money at the lower levels. Will get better with game time. Good luck to the kid for his future.

Signed with Norwood now.

Unlikely to see him at AFL level again but... but from i saw of him in the pies vs Werribee game last year... he should have a very solid career at state level.
Can't come straight from the womb and onto the G ..
Was never gonna make it

Obvious from day one IMO

Sometimes ya just can't play them 🤷‍♂️

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rantall won a SANFL premiership today and was among the best on ground. Honestly think he offers more than Chugg and was unlucky not to be rookied.

Or that that the SANFL standard is significantly below that of AFL and we should also be sceptical of the figures being bandied around supporting our interest in Frampton.

Or that that the SANFL standard is significantly below that of AFL and we should also be sceptical of the figures being bandied around supporting our interest in Frampton.
Except for the fact that Frampton was very good at AFL level this season too

Dekka seems to rate it given he plucked out two players from the MSD from it.
Can't recall any real dissent on here regarding Rantall's delisting. I don't believe he would ever have become an AFL regular. Certainly there may be players capable of stepping up a level, but we should not let Rantall's good form cast doubts on our decision to cut him loose. Even Carmichael and Johnson are not guaranteed success at this stage of their careers.

It’s not significantly below. If you’re best on ground in a SANFL, WAFL or VFL grand final you’re good enough to play AFL.

Some players just take longer to mature, plenty of mature age players from State Leagues have had very good AFL careers.

Can't recall any real dissent on here regarding Rantall's delisting. I don't believe he would ever have become an AFL regular. Certainly there may be players capable of stepping up a level, but we should not let Rantall's good form cast doubts on our decision to cut him loose. Even Carmichael and Johnson are not guaranteed success at this stage of their careers.
I don't think the two 2020-2021 covid affected years helped his development.

But I am happy he is doing so well over there. Seems to have put on some more weight physically and can play in the middle with bigger bodies

Dekka seems to rate it given he plucked out two players from the MSD from it.

3?

John Noble (West Adelaide)
Ash Johnson (Sturt)
Josh Carmichael (West Adelaide)

Plus didn’t all our draftees last year come from sanfl?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back