Player Watch #2: Jacob van Rooyen – re-signed until 2029

Remove this Banner Ad

Club site has him at 194. No one thought Petty would turn into the player he did when Tomlinson went down.

At the end of the day we've gotta find someone who can do the job. Whether that's Turner or Logue or whoever else, cause we're not going to find a gun key forward at the trade table.
I agree but Turner's an interceptor. Having him play on the resting ruck or second tall completely negates his game. If we move Petty forward we should explore a trade for a key defender because I think it leaves us short. If May does a hammy we can't have Lever as the main key back that's just suicide

It seems counterintuitive to add another lumbering ruck to a side that has been getting run over the top of in games far too often.
The coaches (just Goodwin?) seem wedded to the idea of having a ruck advantage where the opponent’s weaker ruck can be exploited with Melbourne having two first-ruck worthy rucks in the team.

Problem is I don’t see the fruits of that strategy coming through.

This is the JVR thread, and he has rucked for significant patches in the VFL. Yes he’s undersized even more at AFL level, but why not try him at AFL level as the relief ruck? He will get slaughtered in the taps, but he looks like he would be effective once the ball hits the ground.

The coaches (just Goodwin?) seem wedded to the idea of having a ruck advantage where the opponent’s weaker ruck can be exploited with Melbourne having two first-ruck worthy rucks in the team.

Problem is I don’t see the fruits of that strategy coming through.

This is the JVR thread, and he has rucked for significant patches in the VFL. Yes he’s undersized even more at AFL level, but why not try him at AFL level as the relief ruck? He will get slaughtered in the taps, but he looks like he would be effective once the ball hits the ground.
Why would you play JVR in the ruck? May aswell play Sparrow then and actually have a midfielder

Why would you play JVR in the ruck? May aswell play Sparrow then and actually have a midfielder
JVR was effective at ground level when relief rucking in the VFL. Until I saw him in a couple of games I wouldn’t have thought he would be as good as he was with his hands.

Not that Carlton are the template, but he’d be on par as a relief ruck with Silvagni or Cripps. So it’s done at AFL level.

Melbourne have a history of trying to use players at Casey in positions where they will play at AFL level. That’s to the extent of having VFL level players with no genuine AFL prospects on-ball while AFL listed players are on flanks.

Maybe it was out of necessity, but they tried JVR as a relief ruck so that makes me think it’s on the coaches’ mind at least. They had other options, like Tomlinson who has second rucked at AFL level, and still trialled JVR there.

I think it’s moot anyway, there is now speculation Melbourne is interested in Meek. Add that to the Grundy speculation and it seems they are going down the two genuine rucks path.

JVR was effective at ground level when relief rucking in the VFL. Until I saw him in a couple of games I wouldn’t have thought he would be as good as he was with his hands.

Not that Carlton are the template, but he’d be on par as a relief ruck with Silvagni or Cripps. So it’s done at AFL level.

Melbourne have a history of trying to use players at Casey in positions where they will play at AFL level. That’s to the extent of having VFL level players with no genuine AFL prospects on-ball while AFL listed players are on flanks.

Maybe it was out of necessity, but they tried JVR as a relief ruck so that makes me think it’s on the coaches’ mind at least. They had other options, like Tomlinson who has second rucked at AFL level, and still trialled JVR there.

I think it’s moot anyway, there is now speculation Melbourne is interested in Meek. Add that to the Grundy speculation and it seems they are going down the two genuine rucks path.
Silvagni and Cripps also had their seasons ruined. Silvagni was dropped by the end and Cripps was banged up

Having a debutant 19 year old playing the hardest position on the ground (undersized second ruck) has career killer all over it

Silvagni and Cripps also had their seasons ruined. Silvagni was dropped by the end and Cripps was banged up

Having a debutant 19 year old playing the hardest position on the ground (undersized second ruck) has career killer all over it
It’s only a reckless risk if JVR hasn’t trained for it properly. JVR is undersized but not dangerously undersized.

If you think JVR is potentially too valuable as a forward to risk as a second ruck in centre bounces full stop, I can see that. I’m staggered Beveridge puts Bontempelli in the ruck every now and then. JVR clearly nothing like Bont, but it’s a massive risk.

If Melbourne lose Jackson and don’t go for Meek/Grundy/Lobb, and JVR is in the team as a forward, who does the relief rucking? An aging, non-agile and injury prone TMac? Surely the ship has sailed on Weid?

I still think it won’t matter as Melbourne will have Gawn and another first ruck type as their preferred setup. If Gawn or that other ruck get injured, or like when Preuss was around it just doesn’t work, then it will be interesting to see what happens.

It’s only a reckless risk if JVR hasn’t trained for it properly. JVR is undersized but not dangerously undersized.

If you think JVR is potentially too valuable as a forward to risk as a second ruck in centre bounces full stop, I can see that. I’m staggered Beveridge puts Bontempelli in the ruck every now and then. JVR clearly nothing like Bont, but it’s a massive risk.

If Melbourne lose Jackson and don’t go for Meek/Grundy/Lobb, and JVR is in the team as a forward, who does the relief rucking? An aging, non-agile and injury prone TMac? Surely the ship has sailed on Weid?

I still think it won’t matter as Melbourne will have Gawn and another first ruck type as their preferred setup. If Gawn or that other ruck get injured, or like when Preuss was around it just doesn’t work, then it will be interesting to see what happens.
I don't think it's a risk to injury I think it's a completely pointless move. Cripps is there so they have an extra mid, silvagni has a great verticle but he was playing 2s by the end of the year. No one who's any good plays as an undersized second ruck it's a killer for confidence and development. He's not winning taps and he's not a gun mid, literally may aswell play Harmes as the second ruck then cause atleast he will get his 20-25 around the ground

It's against Bigfooty rules to post screenshots identifying posters FYI.

I doubt anyone knows Grundy's trade value unless they know how much of his contract is subsidised by Collingwood.
Anyware from Treloar/B Brown to Brad Hill (Freo to StKilda) is possible.
It’s actually not as far as I’m aware.

Posters are certainly asked not to quote posts from elsewhere on their own board with a tag - but this isn’t the case here

All this talk of playing JVR back and in the ruck is doing my head in. He looks like a natural forward and has just played a year in that position with good results.
It would be a real Melbourne move to shift his position now.

All this talk of playing JVR back and in the ruck is doing my head in. He looks like a natural forward and has just played a year in that position with good results.
It would be a real Melbourne move to shift his position now.
So we shouldn't shift Petty?

So we shouldn't shift Petty?
We could still shift Petty forward if need be but we have more cover in our back half than our forward half, Tomlinson and Turner could cover for Petty.
I don't see the sense in moving a natural young, promising forward into defense.

JVR has been very good in the ruck this year at Casey and i wouldn't have any worries about him doing it at AFL level for 5 minutes here and there, but i'd prefer that we just use him as a forward and don't spread him too thin.
also we have Tomlinson who can play defence if Petty goes forward, but i'd go with Turner myself as oppo talls don't really hurt us, it's the quick ball movement and ground balls that do, and Turner is way more agile than Tomlinson. our rucks can drop back and help cover the high balls coming into defence off of slower plays.

I'm just pleased we will win the premiership next year when JVR comes in - unless he requests a trade, due to not being given a game this year. Shame we miss the threepeat though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

His ass looks big to me. As did Dusty's when he came on the scene! Guaranteed 3 flags coming up, 3 Norms and a Brownlow for JVR!
Man, Jack Trengove should've jagged us five flags then. Need some more thicc players, do your work JT.

...? I didn't realise JVR was proven at afl level. how many goals has he kicked?

Also, he's a better defender in my opinion.
Danster last month: JVR is the best KPF on our list (despite never having played a game at AFL level).

Danster now: JVR is a better defender (despite never playing senior football as a defender).

Next, we're going to recruit Grundy, and JVR will be the best ruck on our list.

...? I didn't realise JVR was proven at afl level. how many goals has he kicked?

Also, he's a better defender in my opinion.

Maffew "76 kgs in clothes and boots" Jefferson is proven however

do you ever get sick of playing the contrarian ?

Danster last month: JVR is the best KPF on our list (despite never having played a game at AFL level).

Danster now: JVR is a better defender (despite never playing senior football as a defender).

Next, we're going to recruit Grundy, and JVR will be the best ruck on our list.
You realise both of those statements are true?

Just because JVR is better than Ben Brown doesn't mean he isn't a better defender. It doesn't take much to be better than Ben Brown or Weideman. Also, I love how you say 'never played senior football' and ignore the fact that he's played a lot of footy as a defender. JVR joined melbourne as a teenager. how much senior experience would you expect him to play? lol

Tom McDonald was a forward when he was drafted. Ballarat's AFL draft hopefuls: Tom McDonald

Yet he spent the first 6 years of his career playing in the backline despite 'never playing senior football there'.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back