No Oppo Supporters St.Kilda sack Brett Ratten

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
79 pages of reading
Lots of popcorn

There's going to be some upset posters very soon
You can drop your membership card in the bin thats by the door on your way out, we don't want you.

Mission Blues Brother GIF

We're getting the band back together

Corey Enright is doing well with the back 6. He knows the squad, has sat thru match committee, strategy meetings. Has sat with Gags and other coaches, talking about the types of players we need. He knows the club and the club knows him. Why not promote him to top job? He's better than a crazy gamble on Hird/Buckley/Lyon, who are complete outsiders and don't know our squad, nor do they know what we really are chasing.
If Boris is on the same page as the rest of the club, and has the players on side too, well- it's the best option in my opinion. 🤷‍♂️

Seeing as we need a coach now and not in two years that puts Enright ahead of Lenny. I am so hoping the club leans this way. He's a premiership winning player and a large majority of coaches since 2000 are. He's been around the best run club in the league and knows their tactics from a playing perspective and a coaching perspective. He knows the playing group. They clearly responded under him as the back six were right up there for the best defence in the AFL till the last few games.

Not to mention, he was a gun AFL player himself, inducted legend for Geelong and thus has a lot of respect in AFL circles.

So i am with you, he's the best option in my opinion as well.

Having processed everything for 24 hours a few thoughts. I think everyone is jumping the gun on Lyon being a fait accompli. The media is joining the dots based on a couple of vague comments by Basset about becoming ruthless. They were very careful about not discussing what they want in a new coach at the presser on purpose. I think the field is more wide open then people realise.

If it is Lyon there are two main concerns for me.

The Bubble

This won’t work at all in 2022 and beyond. It is the opposite of what footy clubs want. Has Lyon evolved past this? I can’t exactly imagine him saying g’day Saints fans and taking us through the game in a message to members video. But he has been in the media for a while now. I actually find him pretty compelling in his current roles and he has shown his personality and sense of humour more. I ultimately think he would have moved past the bubble mindset who knows maybe we need a little more us against the world. We are certainly the butt of all jokes with no respect in the wider football community.

Gameplan

As everyone has discussed he obviously will need to have evolved with the modern offensive game. This would require strong assistants with this skill set. Is this supposed to be Rath? Given how we played this year I’d have massive doubts on this. He’s certainly smart enough to understand the new style of play that works with 666 but is he too stubborn? I find it hard to believe that people can change as fundamentally as he would need to.

Like I said though, I really think Bassett is too smart to not at least canvas a wider field. I believe them when they say they have identified the traits they need and knowing that they should be able to target the right people based on this. Who that is I genuinely don’t know. Lyon certainly fits the bill on paper of some of the stuff that is obviously lacking but don’t see why it couldn’t be someone else either, Don Pyke for example as a start.

Ultimately if it is Lyon I would embrace it and it would be one hell of a redemption story but life is rarely that neat.

So he's saying the same stuff I'm saying. He definitely needs to adapt and we would be better, I just don't know if he has the ability to adapt or if he's stuck in his ways and that's just based on what I've seen from him, he has only had success playing to a system that is now outdated.

Pav was coached by him so he’d know a bit more than us I’d think.

Ultimately he’s actually saying exactly what you’re saying. He’s still good and he’ll need to work into the new support system and current coaching practices.

I get that you want him and you’re all in but seriously if we get 2018 Ross it’s not going to be good.
Ultimately guys. I couldn’t care about the X & O’s

I want him because he sets standards.

Because there is accountability.

Because I go to the footy now and I walk away questioning why do they not care or why do they look unprepared.

Because I’m sick of looking at other clubs and watching the stars roll off the conveyor belt or the lack of respect we get when we finally get one.

I researched so many articles on Ross last night. To a person they all raved. Freo boys saint boys.

He had the job at Carlton FYI. Sayers promised him the role. The board chickened out.

It wasn’t about a “process”.

Ultimately I know what im going to get with Ross. That’s what I need right now.

Maybe some newbie is better. Good chance they are worse. But ultimately the time it will take is what has turned me off this path.

We, need to know what this list is. Because if it’s shit. Then rebuild at the earliest convenience.

But you can only do that when there are not other questions. A poor season and a new coach is another question.

A poor season under Ross still means a clear direct answer and approach.

I know we will lose some players along the way. But those that go on his journey become good footballers.

That’s what I ultimately want. Good players playing for an even better stkilda.

The thing with a succession plan is it will happen anyway. Even if it's not officially what the plan is.

The only way it doesn't is if we are going really well.

I don't need the label. Lenny/Enright will learn under Ross. It'll make them better coaches and more prepared to take over if the time comes.

If Ross isn't performing, I can't see Bassat keeping him around.

Last edited:

Because I go to the footy now and I walk away questioning why do they not care or why do they look unprepared.

Because I’m sick of looking at other clubs and watching the stars roll off the conveyor belt or the lack of respect we get when we finally get one.

I researched so many articles on Ross last night. To a person they all raved. Freo boys saint boys.

He had the job at Carlton FYI. Sayers promised him the role. The board chickened out.

Maybe some newbie is better. Good chance they are worse. But ultimately the time it will take is what has turned me off this path.

We, need to know what this list is. Because if it’s s**t. Then rebuild at the earliest convenience.

But you can only do that when there are not other questions. A poor season and a new coach is another question.

I know we will lose some players along the way. But those that go on his journey become good footballers.

I think he looks like the right choice because he's not the type to bottom out and re-develop. He will be looking for results sooner rather than later.

RTB sets the standards.
Lenny knows RTB's standards and won a Norm Smith living those standards.

I can easily see the allure of that combo and think it'd make an immediate impact.

RTB will squeeze all the juice out of our list lemons

We, need to know what this list is. Because if it’s s**t. Then rebuild at the earliest convenience.

That’s fair, fwiw all the things you want I also want.

I’m only pointing out that you don’t know that’s what Ross is now, nobody does.

Run a process and if he’s still the guy you think he is and he best fits then roll out the welcome mat but don’t just hand him the keys without some due diligence only to find out he’s actually got half a foot in the retirement home and all the vigour and fire is gone.

Chris Scott has done an excellent job on tinkering with their game after lasts year's prelim final, also doing it after losing Enright from his coaching panel,

A lot of people say things about Lyon like we will lose players along the way because of his hard approach but I’m struggling to think of many players apart from ball that we lost under him last time and ball was lost not because of his hard approach but because he couldn’t do some things Lyon wanted him to do on the ground. When you see the guys who played in that era out as a group Lyon is always there. They were a much closer group then than the players are now. Success does help that but also they were a close group anyway. Some of that credit must be due to the coach.

Run a process and if he’s still the guy you think he is and he best fits then roll out the welcome mat but don’t just hand him the keys without some due diligence only to find out he’s actually got half a foot in the retirement home and all the vigour and fire is gone.
100% agree. Surely it’s up to Lyon to convince the board he is all in and up to date on the game now than us convincing him to coach.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So he's saying the same stuff I'm saying. He definitely needs to adapt and we would be better, I just don't know if he has the ability to adapt or if he's stuck in his ways and that's just based on what I've seen from him, he has only had success playing to a system that is now outdated.

Would like us to go one of two ways.

Ideally for me it's Yze or Lappin, and if we need a mentor then fine, stick Ross in behind them for support.

If we don't go that way, bring Ross on with the look to succession plan him in 2 years into Hayes or Enright.

What I definitely do not want is Ross Lyon as senior coach with nothing developing underneath him.

Should be more discussion on what we are actually after in a coach. Agree with these posts from George, don't always.

There is a large amount of support for Ross L on social media as a 'hard proven coach'.

He has had very talented teams and still played a defensive outdated system and not adapted. His strength is his belief in what he does and experience he did my head in when he coached us but he would tolerate him if it was clear we developing a Yze, Lappin, Hayes or Enright (who I rate).

I know I am going to be criticised but believe our list is just at the stage of development of some players who have huge ceilings ie Windhager, Battle, Marshall, Gresham, Battle, Bytel Sharman, NWM - even King. Along with some very solid players Steele, Sinclair, Billings, Membrey, Howard, Paton, Wilkie, Crouch.

We need a coach who can do that. Show faith in the players, demand the best out of them, throw them to the wolves at times as they will develop through that. And develop accountability and faith.

Believe some players have been played out of position we need to show faith and play to their strengths ie Sharman is a forward, Hill will get crtitiqued but should be on the wing, Battle - yes he has done well down back but he is a great player and also could help King out in the forward line.

Owens, NWM, Windhager, Billings, Gresham, Bytel need time in the guts. We were beaten in the middle all of the second half of the year and also expected to much from King ie only one option - kick it to Max if he doesn't get it crumbed by Butler or Gresham when he played. Need more options going forward.

Sharman is a natural forward / footballer who can help in the forward line. And dare say so can Battle at CHF. King needs help down there and the delivery needs improving. The mid field and help in the forward line is what is needed

Like the character of Enright believe he would be good, Lenny Hayes is my all time favourite Saint and would love him to lead us to the promised land but I do not know if it is possible.

I like how we are going to the draft again after picking up Windhager, Owens and NWM. Would have liked another pick inside 20 but I niavely the list has potential for solid improvement.

Can handle gradual solid improvement can not handle the way we played in the second half of this season. Did not look like winning and players out of position.

Liked Ratten and wished we had success with him but it did not look like it was going to happen.

Hoping for stability and continued improvement. We are going to cop shit from outside believe we need to embrace the opportunity to work and improve.

Scott Roth coach of the Tasmanian Jackjumpers has recruited a team that are no way as talented as every other NBL team but they embrace the way he wants them to play ie damn hard. Players describe playing defence as pulling the one piece of string and adjusting. The JJ's started 0-3 this season Roth did not back down from the situation and said there was a need to embrace the adversity and play hard, they are now 2-3. They may not win the championship this year due to others having more talent but they already have respect of the league. The Saints need that way of playing together and playing hard. Wish Roth coached AFL!! Roth sort guidance from other coaches including Craig Bellamy, we need someone who is humble but hungry, do not believe Lyon is that coach.

A lot of people say things about Lyon like we will lose players along the way because of his hard approach but I’m struggling to think of many players apart from ball that we lost under him last time and ball was lost not because of his hard approach but because he couldn’t do some things Lyon wanted him to do on the ground. When you see the guys who played in that era out as a group Lyon is always there. They were a much closer group then than the players are now. Success does help that but also they were a close group anyway. Some of that credit must be due to the coach.
My opinion on losing some is more that this list is soft.

Mentally they crumble under pressure.

So when you bring in someone renowned to demand every inch of their being. Some of our current players won’t be able to give that.

Chris Scott has done an excellent job on tinkering with their game after lasts year's prelim final, also doing it after losing Enright from his coaching panel,

I am sure that had nothing to do with the cats changing their game plan from kick/mark to playing on and moving the ball quicker into the forward line. Bit hard to fix that if you are the forwards coach!

But the process is talking to him.

You don’t need to interview him against career assistants.

That’s embarrassing.

Have the conversation and put him infront of the board and our key football stakeholders.

If it’s a yes. If the fire is there.

Get it done and let him get to work.

My opinion on losing some is more that this list is soft.

Mentally they crumble under pressure.

So when you bring in someone renowned to demand every inch of their being. Some of our current players won’t be able to give that.
I think they will all be fine. Footy players can adapt. They are also mentally tough. I doubt we lose anyone because of his hard approach. We really didn’t last time so I think it would be similar.

Should be more discussion on what we are actually after in a coach. Agree with these posts from George, don't always.

There is a large amount of support for Ross L on social media as a 'hard proven coach'.

He has had very talented teams and still played a defensive outdated system and not adapted. His strength is his belief in what he does and experience he did my head in when he coached us but he would tolerate him if it was clear we developing a Yze, Lappin, Hayes or Enright (who I rate).

I know I am going to be criticised but believe our list is just at the stage of development of some players who have huge ceilings ie Windhager, Battle, Marshall, Gresham, Battle, Bytel Sharman, NWM - even King. Along with some very solid players Steele, Sinclair, Billings, Membrey, Howard, Paton, Wilkie, Crouch.

We need a coach who can do that. Show faith in the players, demand the best out of them, throw them to the wolves at times as they will develop through that. And develop accountability and faith.

Believe some players have been played out of position we need to show faith and play to their strengths ie Sharman is a forward, Hill will get crtitiqued but should be on the wing, Battle - yes he has done well down back but he is a great player and also could help King out in the forward line.

Owens, NWM, Windhager, Billings, Gresham, Bytel need time in the guts. We were beaten in the middle all of the second half of the year and also expected to much from King ie only one option - kick it to Max if he doesn't get it crumbed by Butler or Gresham when he played. Need more options going forward.

Sharman is a natural forward / footballer who can help in the forward line. And dare say so can Battle at CHF. King needs help down there and the delivery needs improving. The mid field and help in the forward line is what is needed

Like the character of Enright believe he would be good, Lenny Hayes is my all time favourite Saint and would love him to lead us to the promised land but I do not know if it is possible.

I like how we are going to the draft again after picking up Windhager, Owens and NWM. Would have liked another pick inside 20 but I niavely the list has potential for solid improvement.

Can handle gradual solid improvement can not handle the way we played in the second half of this season. Did not look like winning and players out of position.

Liked Ratten and wished we had success with him but it did not look like it was going to happen.

Hoping for stability and continued improvement. We are going to cop s**t from outside believe we need to embrace the opportunity to work and improve.

Scott Roth coach of the Tasmanian Jackjumpers has recruited a team that are no way as talented as every other NBL team but they embrace the way he wants them to play ie damn hard. Players describe playing defence as pulling the one piece of string and adjusting. The JJ's started 0-3 this season Roth did not back down from the situation and said there was a need to embrace the adversity and play hard, they are now 2-3. They may not win the championship this year due to others having more talent but they already have respect of the league. The Saints need that way of playing together and playing hard. Wish Roth coached AFL!! Roth sort guidance from other coaches including Craig Bellamy, we need someone who is humble but hungry, do not believe Lyon is that coach.
Isn’t everything you said exactly how Lyon coached us previously? We hardly had young players back then that were up to standard. The only 2 were Steven whose groins were stuffed and armo who was given 12 games in his first year. If windhanger Milera owens etc are playing well and working hard he will play them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back