Strength Weight Training: Anything and Everything II

Remove this Banner Ad

Any thoughts on the behind the neck overhead press? I do that one at home a bit standing up, only with light weight though but I've never really had the slightest hint of hurting anything.
I used to do that seated on the um er.... Smiff Machine

Geez I was flirting with danger for a while

You can probably do it if your shoulder flexibility is good, but I'd stay front of the face

Has everyone seen the woman killed under the squat bar? It's not overly gory, because the cctv isn't super clear.
My guess is that, after seeing the bigger guy lift it, the woman has playfully said something like, "can I see how heavy that is? I'll just lift it off the supports and put it back down." It looks like she's missed supports

1m05 into it.

Last edited:
Any thoughts on the behind the neck overhead press? I do that one at home a bit standing up, only with light weight though but I've never really had the slightest hint of hurting anything.

There's a school of thought that if it doesn't give you any issues then proceed if you want.

I have pretty good shoulder flexibility and could perform them pain free if I chose, but I'm in the camp of the extra risk not being worth the potential reward. There's safer variations to get the same result so why tempt fate.

Has everyone seen the woman killed under the squat bar? It's not overly gory, because the cctv isn't super clear.
My guess is that, after seeing the bigger guy lift it, the woman has playfully said something like, "can I see how heavy that is? I'll just lift it off the supports and put it back down." It looks like she's missed supports

1m05 into it.

Yes I posted this on here when it happened many months back.

Purely an ego lift, 4 plates, I mean wtf. She paid the ultimate price for it too.

Not to mention traumatized her daughter for life.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's a school of thought that if it doesn't give you any issues then proceed if you want.

I have pretty good shoulder flexibility and could perform them pain free if I chose, but I'm in the camp of the extra risk not being worth the potential reward. There's safer variations to get the same result so why tempt fate.
What about the other controversial barbell exercise the standing upright row? I've always been able to do that one fine but more so that the btnp can definitely 'feel' how that could be a bad idea for some people, the wider grip does feel a bit safer than the narrow.

Surely a lot of this is common sense, only use lower weight and you should be able to work out if it's going to cause issues rather than putting lines through exercises. In saying that maybe as you for most just use safer alternatives, I only do them at home with basic equipment and not in the gym.

What about the other controversial barbell exercise the standing upright row? I've always been able to do that one fine but more so that the btnp can definitely 'feel' how that could be a bad idea for some people, the wider grip does feel a bit safer than the narrow.

I reckon if you're going to do those you're better off using DBs so your arms and shoulders can move through a more natural range of motion.

There is a place for the Smith Machine for gym users
I can suggest a few places.... none of them are indoors though ;)

Comps done and dusted!

Only just made it.. the water load got me to 110kg on the morning of competition and I spent almost 6 hours from 08:00am - 1:45pm sitting in a sauna to cut 5kg of water, and then weighed in at 2:30pm and started competing around 5pm. I ended up weighing in at 104.92, literally made it by the skin of my teeth as I couldn’t fit another sauna sit in, let alone actually do another sit as I was absolutely spent by the end.

Ended up going:
S - 220kg
B - 137.5kg
D - 260kg, dropped 270kg just before lockout. Form went to s**t for the 270, just didn’t have anything left in the tank and ended up way too extended. I’m cutting down to 105 as priority so I don’t have to weight cut again. Came 4th out of 7. 3rd and 2nd were about 30kg ahead of me and first beat me by 57.5kg. Keen to see what I can deliver when I don’t water cut 5kg on the day of comp.

Comps done and dusted!

Only just made it.. the water load got me to 110kg on the morning of competition and I spent almost 6 hours from 08:00am - 1:45pm sitting in a sauna to cut 5kg of water, and then weighed in at 2:30pm and started competing around 5pm. I ended up weighing in at 104.92, literally made it by the skin of my teeth as I couldn’t fit another sauna sit in, let alone actually do another sit as I was absolutely spent by the end.

Ended up going:
S - 220kg
B - 137.5kg
D - 260kg, dropped 270kg just before lockout. Form went to s**t for the 270, just didn’t have anything left in the tank and ended up way too extended. I’m cutting down to 105 as priority so I don’t have to weight cut again. Came 4th out of 7. 3rd and 2nd were about 30kg ahead of me and first beat me by 57.5kg. Keen to see what I can deliver when I don’t water cut 5kg on the day of comp.

Wowee that cut you did was outrageous to then perform as you did, I'd be dehydrated as ****

Wowee that cut you did was outrageous to then perform as you did, I'd be dehydrated as ****
Oh I definitely rehydrated with:
1L Hydralyte premix bottle.
3L of Powerade.
2L of water mixed with 4 tablets of hydralyte in each litre bottle.

I had the above within the 2 hours post weigh in and competing. Didn’t really eat apart from 2 spoons of honey and I had a little bit of rice after squats as my coach and others said I looked pale and sick like a ghost. He wasn’t real impressed with me doing the cut as he didn’t want me to do it, but we live and we learn. Won’t be doing it again and all ended up okay.

Classic RU though, went to the gym tonight and benched a 140kg PB and then a 145kg PB.

Very excited for the next comp in May with no cut. Expectations right now are:
S - 240
B - 150
D - 280
T - 670

Last edited:
Oh I definitely rehydrated with:
1L Hydralyte premix bottle.
3L of Powerade.
2L of water mixed with 4 tablets of hydralyte in each litre bottle.

I had the above within the 2 hours post weigh in and competing. Didn’t really eat apart from 2 spoons of honey and I had a little bit of rice after squats as my coach and others said I looked pale and sick like a ghost. He wasn’t real impressed with me doing the cut as he didn’t want me to do it, but we live and we learn. Won’t be doing it again and all ended up okay.

Classic RU though, went to the gym tonight and benched a 140kg PB and then a 145kg PB.

Very excited for the next comp in May with no cut. Expectations right now are:
S - 240
B - 150
D - 280
T - 670
Lel, we have those days

145kg is my PB also, but I haven't maxed out my bench in 11 months, that triple at 130kg I did last week was my best effort of this year so far, just going hard on sumos all year

Used a proper deadlift bar tonight, funny how much more whip they give, can take out heaps more slack in the bar with them, still improving my base weight at least, built up to a 5, 4, 4 at 130kg tonight, I think I'll go close to 1RMing my bodyweight soon enough

Lel, we have those days

145kg is my PB also, but I haven't maxed out my bench in 11 months, that triple at 130kg I did last week was my best effort of this year so far, just going hard on sumos all year

Used a proper deadlift bar tonight, funny how much more whip they give, can take out heaps more slack in the bar with them, still improving my base weight at least, built up to a 5, 4, 4 at 130kg tonight, I think I'll go close to 1RMing my bodyweight soon enough
My max 6 months ago was 115 and it was grindy. Not sure where my bench has come from!

Deadlift bars and bumpers is the best, so much slack pull.

Still going rock solid

Big row day on Sunday, incorporated trap bar farmers into my routine for grip strength, really enjoyed that one, hopefully will help with my deadlifting

3x5 at 120kg for bench yesterday, a 3 set PB for me there, still worked up to 45kg incline dumbbell presses afterwards too, so was pretty happy with both major chest movements there

Sumo'd 160kg tonight at a 1RM PB as I felt good at 140kg x4 the previous set. I didn't quite get it first attempt, had the strength to get it up but was losing my grip 3/4 up, so I had to bail on it and had a 6-7 minute breather/quick wizz, chalked up and got it up really easily 2nd time around. The 150kg 1RM like 6-7 weeks ago I did was an absolute grinder compared to this, really psyched myself up for it and it went up smoothly, no grip problems after chalking. Tried 170kg seeing how easily a chalked up 160kg went up but I knew I was beat, barely got it off the floor, so that has to be my new target over summer, it'll also be more than I weigh too, so it'd be a big achievement to lift more than my bodyweight seeing where I was pre covid with the injuries and stuff.

So I've been trying this single set with slow movements program for the past few weeks .
Its torture . Have never pulled up so sore.

Will keep at longer to see if I actually get any gains or strength improvement out of it .
Slow eccentrics are brutal but as far as I recall have shown a lot of positives.
Good example being doing negatives to build up to pull ups.
Same with physio for Achilles tendonitis, it's often slow lowering down from your toes to work and stretch the calf.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back