Goulburn Valley FL 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Grant Lawrie, Alan Thorpe, Mick Gayfer, David Robertson, Robbie Bolzon (he even played a final with a broken thumb/hand IIRC) Paul Hawke, Paul Hogarth, Ty Esler, Damien Houlihan.... even had Derek Kickett for a couple of weeks.
Bloody hell they were great times to watch GVFL footy. No points system and a very lax salary cap.....
Care to have a crack at a best of gv team from that era Ringo??
I didn't see enough of that era as I was trying to get a kick elsewhere but happy to have a crack at the best ever I've seen. Just need some think music.

Grant Lawrie, Alan Thorpe, Mick Gayfer, David Robertson, Robbie Bolzon (he even played a final with a broken thumb/hand IIRC) Paul Hawke, Paul Hogarth, Ty Esler, Damien Houlihan.... even had Derek Kickett for a couple of weeks.
Bloody hell they were great times to watch GVFL footy. No points system and a very lax salary cap.....
B M Gayfer (Tat) J Vick (Ky) L Wellington (Tat)

HB S Hart ( S/Un) T Hotton (Mans). G Cole (Sey)

C D Code (Shep) S Ash (Shep) R Richards (Sey)

HF G Cooper(Moor). G Campbell (E/Roch) R Miller (Roch)

F P Morgan (S UN/Roch) S Saad (Sey) C Sholl (Ech)

R J Solomon (Sey)
RR K Height (Ech)
R R Archard (Ech)

Int P Newman(Ky) P Scanlon (Sey) B Parker (Ton) J Sutherland (Swans)

Emerg: B Murray (Ech)

* Watched more Seymour and Echuca games over the journey and I'm sure I've missed some absolute freaks.

I didn't see enough of that era as I was trying to get a kick elsewhere but happy to have a crack at the best ever I've seen. Just need some think music.
Mines mainly 90s...

Jeff VanderMeer (Mo) Ian Boyd (SU/Ky)
Robbie Bolzon (Tat)
Robbie Miller (Ro) Mick Gayfer (Tat)
Robbie Gilbert (Ton)
Brad Campbell (Ton,Ky,Mo) Steven Ash (Shepp)
Andrew Johnston (Ky)
Brenden Parker (Ton) Grant Lawrie (Tat)
Simon McCarty (Ro)
Phillip Morgan (SU/Ro) Chris Stuhldrier(Ky) Rhys Archard (Ec)

Jarrod Sutherland (SS) Brad Sparks(Ro)

Dean Strauch (Shepp)

Benny Gugliotti (Ky)
Leo Darveniza (Mo)
Derek Percival (SS)
Jon Soloman (Sey)

Apologies to
Anthony Mellington, Gary Cooper, Gary Harvey, Peter Foott, Alan Thorpe and many others

Last edited:

Mines mainly 90s...

Robbie Bolzon (Tat)
Robbie Gilbert (Ton)
Andrew Johnston (Ky)
Simon McCarty (Ro)

Dean Strauch (Shepp)

Benny Gugliotti (Ky)
Leo Darveniza (Mo)
Derek Percival (SS)
Jon Soloman (Sey)
Percival was a gun, Sparksy was brilliant week in week out..geez there have been some great players over the years. Simon Buckley was handy as well.

Been told Sparks was brilliant on field... and just as good after the match 🤣🤣
When we played at Sale, he was skipper. His house was known as the 'Spark Club'... it was the place to be on a Saturday night. On of the funniest people I've come across but just a great guy. There are many other stories but they are not for here lol! His mate Hawker was a step up on him too.

When we played at Sale, he was skipper. His house was known as the 'Spark Club'... it was the place to be on a Saturday night. On of the funniest people I've come across but just a great guy. There are many other stories but they are not for here lol! His mate Hawker was a step up on him too.
Hawker got allergic to his shirts after 10pm didn't he 🤣🤣

Hawker got allergic to his shirts after 10pm didn't he 🤣🤣
Sparks was a terrific leader at Sale. Bloody hell he could play. Hard, tough and relentless. Pace was probably the reason he didn’t make it at a higher level. Certainly was a challenging match up when I came up against him but the first to buy you a drink at the after match.

As Ringo stated, he played just as hard off field. Certainly some stories there that I was told.

Hawker… where do you start.… has a list of endless stories and shenanigans that have him as a key player/figure. What a character.

Percival was a gun, Sparksy was brilliant week in week out..geez there have been some great players over the years. Simon Buckley was handy as well.
There are some great players in that team. For mine I would place Stephen Ash and Shane Schottner at the top of the heap during my time in the league. They were both outstanding players and most importantly even better people. Grant Laurie was also outstanding, worked hard every week and never played a bad game.

As for value on and off field, big Ty Esler would be up top. What a unit and he certainly could drink!

There are some great players in that team. For mine I would place Stephen Ash and Shane Schottner at the top of the heap during my time in the league. They were both outstanding players and most importantly even better people. Grant Laurie was also outstanding, worked hard every week and never played a bad game.

As for value on and off field, big Ty Esler would be up top. What a unit and he certainly could drink!
Ashy and Toot Morgan for onballers, just unbelievable footballers who could find the ball at will and use it.
Robbie Miller down back just backed himself in the contest and took some unreal hangers, the granny where it was Miller v Mellington was a ripper
and of course Stuhly up forward. Might have been lead and mark but the conversion rate was extremely high.
Sutherland in the ruck, tough and uncompromising and protected his on ballers any way possible 🤣 or Jonny Soloman, great leap great hands and laconic enough to make you think was he really trying 🤣

Mines mainly 90s...

Robbie Bolzon (Tat)
Robbie Gilbert (Ton)
Andrew Johnston (Ky)
Simon McCarty (Ro)

Dean Strauch (Shepp)

Benny Gugliotti (Ky)
Leo Darveniza (Mo)
Derek Percival (SS)
Jon Soloman (Sey)

Apologies to
Anthony Mellington, Gary Harvey, Peter Foott, Alan Thorpe and many others
Paul Hawk- Rocket Mctherson- Greg Kirkman- Robbie Britain - Lally Bamblett - Steve and Trav Ryan - Peter Gorski -Garry Kitto -Kev Storer-Ian McRobert ect ect just so many jayc

Paul Hawk- Rocket Mctherson- Greg Kirkman- Robbie Britain - Lally Bamblett - Steve and Trav Ryan - Peter Gorski -Garry Kitto -Kev Storer-Ian McRobert ect ect just so many jayc
David Lucus, Mark Lambourne, Simon Eishold, Brenden Hogan, Daryl Taylor, Russ Byrnes, Michael Gallagher, Adrian Bassett, Scott and Reece Langan.... as I said Swoop the glory years 😆

B M Gayfer (Tat) M Reid ( Ton ) R Harrison ( Ton )
S Hart ( S/Un) R Miller ( Roch ) J.Vanderneer ( Moor )
B Wong ( Moor) S Ash (Shep) R Archard ( Echuca )
HF G Cooper(Moor). B Parker ( Ton ) B Campbell ( Ton / Shepp )

F S Saad (Sey) S Ryan ( Tat ) C Sholl (Ech)

J Solomon (Sey)
D Code ( United )
P Morgan (Roch )

Int P Newman(Ky) P Scanlon (Sey) B Warburton ( Swans) K Height ( Ech )

Unlucky . Atkins (Ky) Souter (Ton ) McPhee (Rochy ) Rachelle ( swans )

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dean Archer as a local Tatura boy from that era was better than average.

From the team I picked I reckon the only recent player additions would be Paul Kirby (a former Rushworth player 😆), Paul Newman, Saad Saad and Simon Buckley.

From the team I picked I reckon the only recent player additions would be Paul Kirby (a former Rushworth player 😆), Paul Newman, Saad Saad and Simon Buckley.
Sparks was a terrific leader at Sale. Bloody hell he could play. Hard, tough and relentless. Pace was probably the reason he didn’t make it at a higher level. Certainly was a challenging match up when I came up against him but the first to buy you a drink at the after match.

As Ringo stated, he played just as hard off field. Certainly some stories there that I was told.

Hawker… where do you start.… has a list of endless stories and shenanigans that have him as a key player/figure. What a character.
Sale would've won the Premiership in 93 if Sparksy hadn't departed. Hawker is an all time off field great. He was a very good player as well. A night out with those two guys was as good as it gets. Made Sale a great place to be..two of the best.

Gary Cooper come on down ... in the 80's. Tatura have been a mighty club in the GV in my experience. Jayco, you forgot Greg Dax! 1992 and the spray he gave Antrobus in the GF.

Gary Cooper come on down ... in the 80's. Tatura have been a mighty club in the GV in my experience. Jayco, you forgot Greg Dax! 1992 and the spray he gave Antrobus in the GF.
Could never forget Daxy (he'd already been mentioned)... coached me at Rushy. And that spray was one of the best.
Story goes Antrobus was that shitty he didn't even shower after the game, just jumped in his car and pissed off 🤣

My god Swoop some great names there! You forgot Richard Warburton and Peter Shemshedin (sic) (Shepp Swans full back) He was frightening and huge!

And I want to add Tank Mcphee and Dirty Williams. Ash Byrne at Echuca won them several flags!

Could never forget Daxy (he'd already been mentioned)... coached me at Rushy. And that spray was one of the best.
Story goes Antrobus was that shitty he didn't even shower after the game, just jumped in his car and pissed off 🤣
Sorry mate. Was trying to catch up with the sudden influx of posts on the thread. Magnificent work from you getting that rolling. With Ringo's old Sale mates Sparks and Hawker playing at Rochy in the 90's i'm still intrigued why we didn't have all three at Tigerland in that period. 😁😎

Sorry mate. Was trying to catch up with the sudden influx of posts on the thread. Magnificent work from you getting that rolling. With Ringo's old Sale mates Sparks and Hawker playing at Rochy in the 90's i'm still intrigued why we didn't have all three at Tigerland in that period. 😁😎
They couldn't afford Ringo 😆

Another worthy of mention is Morrison Medalist Mick Keenan in the mid-80's playing against Code, Gorski, Loveless, Lovison, et.al. 5.7 and won a league medal in a terrible side.

I could talk 90s gvfl footy for days mate....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back