Big Bash Future

Remove this Banner Ad

Is 15,000 people per game a success? Rhetorical question.
Is 15,000 people paying good money to see domestic cricket a success?

Is domestic cricket being watched by hundreds of thousands of people on TV every night a success?

Is Aaron Hardie having to play in pressure situations in front of 25,000 and hundreds of thousands at home helpful for Australian cricket?

Is Australian cricket getting record broadcast revenue a success?

Is thousands of kids and mums going to the cricket a success?

Is domestic cricketers having the chance to play with international stars a success?

Is Tim David going from grade cricket to making millions playing around the world a success?

Is having test players play domestic cricket for the first time in years a success?

All rhetorical questions, of course.

Before BBL, and even now during the existence of BBL, what were the crowds like at domestic one daters and domestic test matches…

Now compare the crowds at BBL? Even if they are down compared to previous season, there are now longer seasons, and with games being played in regional towns. But still, compare the BBL crowds and therefore revenue to any of the other formats of domestic cricket.

Before BBL, and even now during the existence of BBL, what were the crowds like at domestic one daters and domestic test matches…

Now compare the crowds at BBL? Even if they are down compared to previous season, there are now longer seasons, and with games being played in regional towns. But still, compare the BBL crowds and therefore revenue to any of the other formats of domestic cricket.
The BBL's only purpose is to make money.
The Shield is not there for that reason, the Shield is to develop players (does a bad job as senior players are rarely available) for the only important national mens team - the Test side.
Comparisons of crowds are not relevant.

The Shield is not there for that reason, the Shield is to develop players (does a bad job as senior players are rarely available) for the only important national mens team - the Test side.

Agree in part,

BBL should be aiming to be a pathway to other domestic comps around the world and be seen as a way of developing players in the short forms. Every first class player in Australia wants an IPL contract and to be able to play in various Leagues around the world.

Nice to think it's still all about Shield and Test Cricket and it still is in part but every player has one eye on getting an opportunity in the various comps. For the future of the sport the BBL has to play a development role as well.

Sure I am not the first to post this but fewer teams and fewer games. Haven't watched BBL for a while but have watched this year.

The season goes forever and it is a little disheartening seeing players who were there almost at the start still going around due to a lack of depth.

Victoria v Tasmania drew 45,000 to a game. But that was also back when they only played a few games so people made the effort. Now if there’s 14 games in Melbourne there is no urgency to attend one.

The current product can only dream of 45,000 at a game.

Sure I am not the first to post this but fewer teams and fewer games. Haven't watched BBL for a while but have watched this year.

The season goes forever and it is a little disheartening seeing players who were there almost at the start still going around due to a lack of depth.

Last year I might have agreed with you but with our best playing now I don't think the season has gone on too long at all. At the very least, if they're going to shorten it then FFS don't overlap it with the test series. We need our best players playing in it. Higher standard = higher crowds and TV ratings = more money = better international players = higher crowds and TV ratings.......

Victoria v Tasmania drew 45,000 to a game. But that was also back when they only played a few games so people made the effort. Now if there’s 14 games in Melbourne there is no urgency to attend one.

The current product can only dream of 45,000 at a game.

I went to a WA vs NSW one day game in 2004 which just happened to be Steve Waugh’s last game at the WACA which sold out with 16,000 spectators. Here is an article on it that I found on google.

They may have different purposes. But it does show the BBL average crowds are still decent for domestic cricket.

After all BBL has the third highest average attendance in Australia, after only the AFL and NRL.

And if the crowds have now levelled out, after previous seasons hype waning, there is potential to grow from a substantial base audience.

When their team is called the Stars they need to try and attract big name players to justify their name.
Huh? They were named after the observation wheel, the biggest failure in Victoria post-Kennett. They have well and truly lived up to that.

Everybody knows the truth about the two Melbourne teams:

rensstars.png

I like cricket and there is nothing else on, so sometimes I will have a t20 garbage on in the background at home.

But putting a microphone on David Warner might be it for me.

I reckon we've reached the point in the comp where it's a few games too many. 10-11 games per team then finals seems to be the happy medium for me, as it feels like a bit of a pointless stretch on now.

Not that they'd ever do it, but combining the Melbourne and Sydney teams into one each would give us 6 team basically state comp, play it as VIC, WA, TAS, QLD, NSW, SA and do a full home and away season would be 10 games each. I reckon there'd be a bit more interest state vs state franchises.

Still happy for international players, less teams would mean better quality rosters too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why has there been a small flip in interest in the BBL?

Some of the National Team (Smith amongst others) have been playing.

It‘s not rocket science
Which will always be odd to me as you can already watch all these players a hell of a lot playing against other international quality players.

Which will always be odd to me as you can already watch all these players a hell of a lot playing against other international quality players.
The gap between elite cricket and domestic widens every year - I take every opportunity I can to see elite players live. Smith is not my cup of tea (I’m a traditional technique coach) but when he’s going it is glorious. He’s a once in a generation player

Under this proposal, the top 2 teams both play a knockout final which was something they got rid of....

I don't like it, a finals series needs to reward the top teams somehow. Maybe home games are enough?

I think the reduction of games really is for the benefit of Sydney and Melbourne who have the two teams. I think seven home games works for the other four states with at least one home game (maybe two) played at a regional venue which was part of the reason for increasing the games.

I love the difference between rules no Agar for Scorchers but Smith plays of Sixers

Hmmmmm love the rules
It's just crazy.

It's not just Agar, it's Todd Murphy and others as well not available.

CA should've just said all squad players will be available until this date.

Now it's opened up to possible bias.

It's just crazy.

It's not just Agar, it's Todd Murphy and others as well not available.

CA should've just said all squad players will be available until this date.

Now it's opened up to possible bias.
And once again benefits the Sydney sides, here is an extra 300k to pay Steve Smith, also you guys are playing Scorchers they can't have Agar but we will give them Morris. Sydney you get Lyon/Smith for that game

Almost like they want a Syndey Grandfinal no matter what

And once again benefits the Sydney sides, here is an extra 300k to pay Steve Smith, also you guys are playing Scorchers they can't have Agar but we will give them Morris. Sydney you get Lyon/Smith for that game

Almost like they want a Syndey Grandfinal no matter what
Sixers don't get Murphy.

Sixers don't get Murphy.
Still get Lyon and SOK if not injured, and you could argue the bloke who has scored 260+ in 3 games is a bigger in then Murphy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back