Transgender

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please be aware that the tolerance of anti-trans language on BF is at an all-time low. Jokes and insults that are trans-related, as well as anti-trans and bigoted rhetoric will be met with infractions, threadbans etc as required. It's a sensitive (and important) topic, so behave like well-mannered adults when discussing it, PARTICULARLY when disagreeing. This equally applies across the whole site.

Last edited:
I was thinking of all the trans women who become famous for being transgender and draw scorn from the transphobes. e.g Caitlin Jenner, Dylan Mulvaney
Even Dani Laidley, through no fault of her own, but getting her mug shots plastered over the front & back page of the papers.

These are the people who become flashpoints for widespread bigotry & hate from clueless folks online

I'm not talking about normal everyday transgender women whom we meet in our day-to-day lives.
Sounds like victim blaming to me.

I was thinking of the celebs. The trans-women who become famous for being transgender and draw scorn from the transphobes. e.g Caitlin Jenner, Dylan Mulvaney

Even Dani Laidley, through no fault of her own, but getting her mug shots plastered over the front & back page of the papers.

These are the people who become flashpoints for widespread bigotry & hate from clueless folks online

I'm not talking about normal everyday transgender women whom we meet in our day-to-day lives.
Probably the media's dodgy crap with the "look at that brave man transitioning to a woman" while they think "Nothing remarkable about a trans man - it's natural to want to be male". Male = apex, powerful, female = lesser.

Sounds like victim blaming to me.
No. You wondered why why trans men weren't as vilified as trans-women and suggested it was a form of sexism.

I suggested it was probably more to do with their visibility / invisibility

Maybe we need a few trans men to get work on Triple M and start dropping f-bombs, scratching their nuts and telling stories about the time they drank a slab of VB and ralphed all over their missus's carpet.

Probably the media's dodgy crap with the "look at that brave man transitioning to a woman" while they think "Nothing remarkable about a trans man - it's natural to want to be male". Male = apex, powerful, female = lesser.

Subconsciously maybe... A remnant of the male patriarchy...

Probably drawing a long bow.

Or that old pearler, we don't mind you being gay/trans, just don't rub it in our faces.

Definitely this.

That's the usual line from bigots: "I don't get care... Just stop trying to force it down my throat..."

Last edited:
I was thinking of the celebs. The trans-women who become famous for being transgender and draw scorn from the transphobes. e.g Caitlin Jenner, Dylan Mulvaney.. Even Dani Laidley, through no fault of her own, but getting her mug shots plastered over the front & back page of the papers. These are the people who become flashpoints for widespread bigotry & hate from clueless folks online. That's what Gough was talking about, I think...

I wasn't referring to normal everyday transgender women whom we meet in our day-to-day lives.
I think you may want to read up on the people you reference, if you think they became famous for being trans. Jenner was an Olympic gold medallist, with tv and acting gigs, big advertising roles, a household name. Laidley obviously an AFL player, then coach. Mulvaney was on Broadway.

This is what Back One Out was referring to:
I'm aware of the event which was for the trans day of visibility

I think you may want to read up on the people you reference, if you think they became famous for being trans. Jenner was an Olympic gold medallist, with tv and acting gigs, big advertising roles, a household name. Laidley obviously an AFL player, then coach. Mulvaney was on Broadway.
I know all that, dude... "become famous" has an ambiguous meaning in the sentence I used. I wasn't saying they went from complete unknowns to celebrities. I was saying they have now become famous purely for their gender identity.

Caitlin Jenner was plastered over the cover of magazines with numerous interviews, articles, awards ceremonies and other public appearances where the only thing she ever spoke about was being a trans woman (the trials & tribulations, the bravery it took to be herself, the difficulties faced by trans youth.)

Nobody cared about Bruce Jenner winning the decathlon in 1972. Not then. Not now. Years later, as a d-list celeb, she became semi-famous as Kylie & Kendall's eccentric father who lurked in the background as an extra in "Keeping Up With The Kardashians". But nobody really cared much about that either. It was only when she publicly transitioned that her 'celebrity' status shot through the roof.

Dylan Mulvaney was on Broadway, but so are hundreds of other people. Nobody cares about Broadway actors. Maybe a handful of them are stars. Not Mulvaney. She has now become a celebrity with 10 million followers on TikTok because of her very-public transitioning and her public campaigning for trans awareness.

IN SHARP CONTRAST TO.... comedy legend and Hollywood character actor, Eddie Izzard who has identified as genderfluid, but now uses she/her pronouns and goes by the name "Suzy" off-stage

Check out this recent interview with Seth Meyers where she talks about a range of things:
  • her one-woman stage performance of Charles Dickens's Great Expectations
  • performing her stand-up comedy shows in France and Spain completely adapted in the local languages
  • running 30 marathons in 30 days across South Africa for charity.

But she never once mentions her gender identity or makes an issue of it. Talks about everything else and comes across as very natural. I forgot all about her gender identity and just listened with interest to her stories.

Last edited:
But she never once mentions her gender identity or makes an issue of it. Talks about everything else and comes across as very natural. I forgot all about her gender identity and just listened with interest to her stories.
Isn't it great how far we've come?

2022 military study shows the @WorldAthletics blanket trans ban isn't justified or backed by research!

Usa Airforce Study finds Trans women’s running advantage is completely mitigated
after 2years.

228 TW lost a staggering 21% which is double the gender performance gap.

Chiccarelli (2022)is a follow up study to Roberts (2020) the Usa Airforce study with a much larger sample (same air force trans samples and controls) and found that the running advantage was also eliminated.

399772c59355e4f31545667dbe75bd88.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

emoji631.png
military study shows the @WorldAthletics blanket trans ban isn't justified or backed by research!
It doesn’t say that at all. In fact the authors very explicitly say that it doesn’t:

“…this analysis does not contribute to the ongoing discussion of the inclusion criteria for transgender athletes in cisgender sporting competition, and that is not the aim of this paper.”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think whenever someone shoots up a bunch of kids we shouldn’t be looking for the first thing that will alleviate them of culpability and semi-blame the victims just because we feel the need to take sides in the culture wars.
Hear hear - we should find out before they shoot anyone and punish them so thoroughly they never even dream of shooting sprees.

You're now in favour of early intervention after giving me the red downward thumb of death for suggesting it earlier? Fair enough.
Despite what many of you want to believe, here is my position:

If there are things we can do to improve the lives of young people and stop them going down paths of extreme antisocial behaviour we should do them. BUT when someone has just murdered a bunch of innocent people, discussion about how that particular perpetrator may have been mistreated in their life should be very, VERY low on our list of priorities. I.e., nobody was saying “guys guys guys hold your horses I think maybe Brenton Tarrant might have been bullied at school!”, and nor should they have been.

Despite what many of you want to believe, here is my position:

If there are things we can do to improve the lives of young people and stop them going down paths of extreme antisocial behaviour we should do them. BUT when someone has just murdered a bunch of innocent people, discussion about how that particular perpetrator may have been mistreated in their life should be very, VERY low on our list of priorities. I.e., nobody was saying “guys guys guys hold your horses I think maybe Brenton Tarrant might have been bullied at school!”, and nor should they have been.
Interesting.

We have a plane that’s crashed.

In general you support the idea of looking into what things make planes crash but you are utterly opposed into looking at the particular things that have made this particular plane crash.

You contend, despite not knowing what made this particular plane crash that planes that crash because of the particular way this plane has crashed…. dont need investigation because whatever it was shouldnt make a plane crash. Planes should fly fine with this fault that you are presuming was minor and not crashworthy.

Last edited:
Interesting.

We have a plane that’s crashed.

In general you support the idea of looking into what things make planes crash but you are utterly opposed into looking at the particular things that have made this particular plane crash.

You contend, despite not knowing what made this particular plane crash that planes that crash because of the particular way this plane has crashed…. dont need investigation because whatever it was shouldnt make a plane crash. Planes should fly fine with this fault that you are presuming was minor and not crashworthy.
If crappy analogies is what we’re doing then allow me to correct it:

We have a plane that’s crashed. Before it crashed the pilot got on the radio said “I am deliberately crashing this plane because I intend to kill a bunch of people”. Most people respond to the event in a normal way - they condemn the murderer without caveat or hesitation and express some sort of sympathy for the victims. EXCEPT for one Andrew Tate fan who just keeps shaking his head and saying “I bet his wife is a massive campaigner.”

We’re not talking about an engineering disaster. We’re talking an event with a known cause: an individual made the decision to do a bunch of murders.

If crappy analogies is what we’re doing then allow me to correct it:

We have a plane that’s crashed. Before it crashed the pilot got on the radio said “I am deliberately crashing this plane because I intend to kill a bunch of people”. Most people respond to the event in a normal way - they condemn the murderer without caveat or hesitation and express some sort of sympathy for the victims. EXCEPT for one Andrew Tate fan who just keeps shaking his head and saying “I bet his wife is a massive campaigner.”

We’re not talking about an engineering disaster. We’re talking an event with a known cause: an individual made the decision to do a bunch of murders.

And I think the point that others (including me) would want to try and figure out why that decision was made, looking for an explanation not an excuse.

And I think the point that others (including me) would want to try and figure out why that decision was made, looking for an explanation not an excuse.
Yeah you can call it an explanation if you want. I call it surmising about what might be one of a myriad of contributing factors. It doesn’t take much imagination to predict what “explanation” the parochial right winger would be putting forward for this event. Probably something that would also allow them to see someone shoot up a school and think “this wouldn’t have happened if not for those bloody lefties.”

Yeah you can call it an explanation if you want. I call it surmising about what might be one of a myriad of contributing factors. It doesn’t take much imagination to predict what “explanation” the parochial right winger would be putting forward for this event. Probably something that would also allow them to see someone shoot up a school and think “this wouldn’t have happened if not for those bloody lefties.”

That's fair enough too, pretty much what I think. And I'm not saying we just "oh they're transgender, they've had difficulties so that's why it happened", you'd investigate a bit deeper of course.

But yes this stuff gets harnessed by the grifters on both sides to push their separate agenda, we end up at the same place which is debating gun laws and pronouns I guess. Reasoned discussion doesn't get enough clicks I suppose.

Fact is that in America, its much easier to get a hold of a firearm than it is to get access to proper mental health care.
White, black, straight, gay, trans, other... Fact is they premeditated and willingly walked into a school and shot and murdered innocent children. Don't give me they were bullied. Don't give me "oh if people were nicer".... Absolute trollop.

If it were deep down a resentment to how they were treated, they'd have shot up a pub during a sporting match, instead they shot up a school full of children.
Its not a Trans issue, its a mental health issue, and an American systemic issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back