Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
WHEN CAN I PLAY? READ BELOW:
  • PlayStation (Physical): Thursday 4 May
  • PlayStation (Digital): 8:01am AEST Thursday 4 May
  • Steam: Currently 8:01am AEST Thursday 4 May, may be moved to 12:01am AEST
  • Xbox (Digital or Physical): TO BE CONFIRMED, unlikely to be 4 May

Those that pre-ordered PS versions will be able to play on Thursday, disks will have already been mailed by retailers, they will also be available in-store.

Steam will also be available Thursday.

Stating the obvious, we are still having issues with XBox.

Seriously, anyone that looks hard knows there’s issues - why do you think there are so many exclusives for a particular platform that are not marked as exclusive, but are only on that platform.

If I took that road, life would have been a lot easier.

Xbox digital and retail will release at the same time - that is not a decision we get to make.

It applies now and I will no doubt pay a price.

Re: commentary team
Hamish is still there, Daisy didn't make it into the final version of the game.

We added Gary and increased the workload of Harf.

Re: game availability/release dates
I can never give 100% guarantee about anything in the future, but as it stands today, the statement I am prepared to make it that all stock that is at retailers on 4 May will be available for sale.

As to the amount that will be there for sale, and whether it is enough, that is a question I cannot answer.

It will be made digitally available on the various platform holder electronic stores.

Clarifying, the game will not release prior to 4 May 2023.

I am vague as there is one platform that has had sufficient stock at retailers and the other has not, and I cannot name them (contractual reasons).

The game will not be further delayed because of the numbers of units in stock.

Re: Steam listing
I've already put in a request for the screenshots to be replaced with current ones, they'll probably only be there for a day.

As much as the feedback has generally been positive, these are old, meant to be placeholder only and were not meant to go live.

Re: playing lists
All playing lists are accurate for the 2023 season.

Re: content creator footage
This is all prior to day one patch (as some have noted updates like numbers etc are apparent)

Re: Career mode
A head's up on Career mode.

At the AFL 23 Launch night I mentioned the non-team based Individual Career Mode in an interview with Dean (Twistie3). As alluded to at that same event, we were working with the AFL and AFLPA to include as many past legends in the game as possible.

The great news is that we have received approval for far more AFL legends than were previously envisaged, but this has meant that we had to make the tough decision to divert resources away from the Individual Career mode development. The individual Career Mode function will not make it into AFL 23, Career Mode will be entirely team based. I expect this mode to be include in future iterations of the game.

Re: microtransactions
You do not have to make purchases, things can be earned.

Re: general development
So fundamentally flawed, in so many ways, it’s bananas.

We are doing AFL as it’s a passion project, without us doing it there would not be one being made.

So much more upside with making games that are played internationally, let alone one that will not even be played in every state in this country.

Last edited:
I think the best method would be for Big Ant to designate a scoreboard colour to each uniform for each team. Maybe a back up as well for this sort of real life match up where Collingwood are at home (black/black) against Carlton (navy/white) and the jumper colours are too close so you’d put their scoreboard graphic in white ideally.
Easily remedied for custom uniforms as well given it’d just mean you have to designate the main uniform colour yourself.
Big Ant if you’re reading this (don’t wanna be the person to ping) I’d suggest this would be a handy addition so that if someone who’s less familiar with the teams would be able to tell who’s winning at a glance, especially if they’re watching a stream. I’m as much a footy tragic as they come yet when I went to Collingwood v Port this year the jumper match up was Collingwood in black v Port in white, yet the scoreboard at the ground had Collingwood as the white team and Port as the real team, got confused earlier on when Port kicked a goal and I didn’t see Collingwood’s tally go up cause I instinctively looked at the white score.
I think Ross has mentioned earlier that they have limitations with changing the score graphic based on what the team wears but could be something they work and add for later
25090308-CBF2-4009-946D-634A0C80203B.jpeg

Last edited:

Finally got around to watching last nights stream. Just want to start off by saying that as someone who isn’t a big fan of YouTuber/streamers, Michaels stream is actually really chill to watch. Not a fan of the “crazy” streamers my kids watch with their Minecraft vids, so just seeing a chilled out Aussie bloke on stream just having a yarn and playing games is refreshing. Thanks heaps for doing that mate - as you said you’re not a full time streamer, so getting what you could for us was great.

Video just reinforced more that I’m happy with my preorder and Thursday can’t come soon enough. Gutted we’ve got no Holy Grail, and not sure if SANFL/VFL can be used in management mode, but otherwise top notch so far.

The team management menu doesn’t look finished yet. It’s presentation seems a bit eh, at the moment.
Interesting the team management menu actually changes once you start moving arrows. Shows the career stats for the player selected which is a cool feature, and one I was really hoping for. I think this screen feels unfinished though because of the massive gap on the player profiles on the left hand side. Maybe the room is there to have player photos slotted In for the final build?

Also it would feel more complete having the team colour next to the name rather than just the two shades of blue which makes it feel generic. JNT BA

Attachments

• 1766825B-9D54-47B0-8BE8-6D4ACBAEA227.png
    1766825B-9D54-47B0-8BE8-6D4ACBAEA227.png
    766.4 KB · Views: 151
The team management menu doesn’t look finished yet. It’s presentation seems a bit eh, at the moment.
Probably not a thought shared by anyone but if we wanted a more realistic management mode, you wouldn't see the other teams lineup when selecting your own. Have thought this for the last few games. AFL teams name their squads without knowing how their oponents will be lining up.

A thought that approximately 0 people would agree with

Do you not know how this thread works by now mate? 🤣🤦🏻‍♂️ at least after release date it hopefully winds down 🤞🏽
I know I engage in a lot of the dribble in this thread, but I seriously don’t even know anymore if these people are stirring or are genuine whinges. Sometimes a whinge will start, I’ll start laughing along thinking they’re taking the Mickey, and then realise it’s a genuine unstable outburst. I love this thread

role playing lol GIF by Hyper RPG

Finally got around to watching last nights stream. Just want to start off by saying that as someone who isn’t a big fan of YouTuber/streamers, Michaels stream is actually really chill to watch. Not a fan of the “crazy” streamers my kids watch with their Minecraft vids, so just seeing a chilled out Aussie bloke on stream just having a yarn and playing games is refreshing. Thanks heaps for doing that mate - as you said you’re not a full time streamer, so getting what you could for us was great.

Video just reinforced more that I’m happy with my preorder and Thursday can’t come soon enough. Gutted we’ve got no Holy Grail, and not sure if SANFL/VFL can be used in management mode, but otherwise top notch so far.
Appreciate the kind words.

What you described is exactly the type of vibe I like all my streams to be, just a casual hangout and a bit of fun!

As soon as I have the new gameplay I'll let you all know too!

Probably not a thought shared by anyone but if we wanted a more realistic management mode, you wouldn't see the other teams lineup when selecting your own. Have thought this for the last few games. AFL teams name their squads without knowing how their oponents will be lining up.

A thought that approximately 0 people would agree with
Yeah interesting point I agree with part of what you said but disagree at the same time because it’s a video game and you need the opportunity to choose who your player(especially defenders) will man up on.

In saying that maybe in career mode there could be a team selection screen mid week in career mode where you announce team selection(omit players, replace injured) without seeing the oppositions lineup. And then on game day you can select matchups.

So the sequence of events in career mode:

1.(Monday-Wednesday)training session
2. (Thursday)Team Selection screen- don’t see opposition lineup.
3. Game day- Matchups screen

Another idea for you JNT BA

Edit: I also hope players in the squad can get injured in training and when playing simulated reserves matches.

Last edited:
Sometimes a whinge will start, I’ll start laughing along thinking they’re taking the Mickey, and then realise it’s a genuine unstable outburst.

Spot on 🤣 although if there’s a silver lining to it, enough people spat the dummy about Dusty’s tatts and it’s been rectified by Big Ant (great find Michaels ) so at least when its warranted it CAN be useful. That being said….450 of 454 pages on here have mostly been the same dribble lol

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The forward line gameplay in the Melbourne game from Caden looked really good, in the Swans game, that side view and everything looked too distant to decipher much, unless you go full screen on a big tv. I can see a lot of potential with yearly updates on the BA engine.

At the AFL 23 Launch night I mentioned the non-team based Individual Career Mode in an interview with Dean (Twistie3). As alluded to at that same event, we were working with the AFL and AFLPA to include as many past legends in the game as possible.

The great news is that we have received approval for far more AFL legends than were previously envisaged, but this has meant that we had to make the tough decision to divert resources away from the Individual Career mode development. The individual Career Mode function will not make it into AFL 23, Career Mode will be entirely team based. I expect this mode to be include in future iterations of the game.

Happy with this, this year will be much more entertaining playing as a whole team anyway, and if there are heaps more legends available that’s great news.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

The forward line gameplay in the Melbourne game from Caden looked really good, the Swans game, that side view and everything looked too distant to decipher much, unless you go full screen on a big tv.
For the camera I’m a dynamic end to end man myself, where you can view side to side options by swinging the right analog stick left to right

Thanks for the heads up. Hopefully there is enough evidence that people are super keen for it, so that it does make the cut for a future game.

Awesome News! AFL is is such a team performance focused game( unlike cricket) was never one to play individual careers in past AFL games. So am absolutely wrapped with this decision to shift focus. Incredible, by the sounds of it, there are way more legends then what has been released to the public so far. Thanks for the update Ross, can’t wait!

As much as I like individual career mode, happy to hear about more legends in the game. Hope scarlo and Enright eventually turn up

I actually thought the whole management mode seemed very light on:
  • There doesn’t seem to be any state league integration - so you can’t track how players are performing, you can’t even see which teams won in other leagues (which you could in Evo 2) and it doesn’t seem like you can manage a state team before earning an AFL job.
  • I couldn’t see any kind of training system so I’m not sure how we’re supposed to develop new draftees
  • There’s also a calendar view but I don’t know what would appear on there other than your weekly game

I’m assuming this is because it’s the early build because otherwise it’s a pretty bare bones management mode.

The great news is that we have received approval for far more AFL legends than were previously envisaged, but this has meant that we had to make the tough decision to divert resources away from the Individual Career mode development. The individual Career Mode function will not make it into AFL 23, Career Mode will be entirely team based.

I’m happy with this!! Footy probably isn’t the best sport to replicate playing as one player unless you’d play as a midfielder to stay busy! In saying that Ross, will the Legends featured be locked behind Pro Team only or will there be an avenue to incorporate them into Management Mode or even List Manager? Cheers

Career mode options being cut to make room for the microtransactions mode.

BigAnt have transcended their humble beginnings and are now officially on par with EA.

Not that surprised they couldn’t work out a way to make the gameplay engaging with player career to be honest. Bit of a shame as the foundation from the cricket game was so strong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back