Preview 2023 Rd 11 Carlton vs Sydney Friday May 26 7:50PM @ SCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Team is in:-

IN:
Tom De Koning, Brodie Kemp
OUT: Ed Curnow, Jack Silvagni, Lewis Young

After starting last weekend as sub, George Hewett has been elevated to the starting 22.

Backs:Sam DochertyJacob WeiteringNic Newman
Half-backs:Brodie KempMitch McGovernAdam Saad
Centreline:Blake AcresPatrick CrippsOliver Hollands
Half-forwards:Matthew KennedyHarry McKayTom De Koning
Forwards:Corey DurdinCharlie CurnowJesse Motlop
Followers:Marc PittonetGeorge HewettSam Walsh
Interchange:Jordan BoydAdam CerraMatthew Cottrell
Matthew Owies
Emergencies:Ed CurnowLachie FogartyJack Silvagni
Lewis Young

Last edited:
Enough with the anti-Cripps stuff please Juddy.

This is a ludicrous comparison.
What's wrong with my opinion? Are you saying Cripps chases down opposition when they are running more than Dow? No idea how it's a ludicrous comparison as I've never seen Cripps do it.

And I'm more than ok to have a differing view to you J. That shouldn't be shot down or disregard in an open forum

I'm more concerned about our dismal record at the half-sized SCG, historically, we play terrible footy there.
Last time we tasted victory was 2011 and we've only achieved this result twice in the last 29 seasons.
Look to the future….things are different now …most of our players are available and they’ve had time to play cohesively together ….it’s just a matter of time before it all clicks…our season is still alive. A win here sets us up for remainder of season. I liked that sayers said we want to play finals.

McGov played some great football last year, I was so pumped for him to dominate this year. Incredible just how many players we have playing below their best. In 2023c, think only Charlie, Doc, Newman, Cerra & Owies have been in consistent good form. (Leaving Hollands out because it is his first year)

5 players isn't great; it's only my opinion and maybe I missed one or two more, but as a team we have a lot of players off their best at the moment.

I'm reckon the Swans will come out fired up tomorrow thinking they have a good chance to roll us
It’s all most a fore long conclusion. Teams know to bring the heat first half and 9 out of ten times the game is over by half time. Swans may have a considerable injury list but the are a cohesive unit, their culture and never die attitude as well as their toughness will easily account for the marshmallow of a team that we are at the moment.

All things considered our talent should shine through but it won’t. Team is too disjointed and bereft of the thing that matters the most …. Pride!

No one said Dow is better than Cripps. Try and keep up
Agreed but he offers something Cripps and our other slow mids don’t offer.

This is where Voss doesn’t have much of a clue. Use each players skills for a specific role.

Cripps can get real dirty wrestling and extracting the ball. Passes out to Dow. Dow does a sidestep or two, quick hand pass out to Cerra or Walsh running it out.

Our mid group would be much more balanced with Dow in the mix.

Seth Meyers Go Time GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

images-1.png
images.jpeg-14.jpg

The major concern I still have with selection, is playing 6 dedicated defenders and Doc splitting his time back and mid

Bite the head off, play 7 defenders, with Doc playing mid/forward
You mean Sam "long bomb to no one" Docherty play mid/fwd. That'll fix the connection issues.

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I wouldn't wanna be a kid on draft night getting selected to go to Carlton. I'd be thinking to myself gee, why would I wanna go to a club that doesn't reward their kids who are busting their backsides in the VFL? Ollie Hollands of course.
WTAF is this? Do you think that no one would want to go to Carlton as an 18 year old draftee on the strength of Dow not able to perform at senior level in almost 6 years? Wow. Then state that we have Ollie. Mind boggling.

If Fish gets picked this week we are a serious rabble. The MC is a huge problem with their selections week in week out literally all season. WTF are we continually picking Ed? Don’t get me wrong I love the guy but let’s get down to brass tacks, if the MC had any integrity in the selection process, which lets be frank, weaves itself into the fabric of the club non performers (Ed, Hewitt) and passengers (McGov) should be out this week.

Dow with his week in week out consistent effort in the 2s should be a shoe in, along with Kemp (who needs a good 3-5 week block).

WTH happened to TDK? A few weeks ago he was ready to sign and now he looks like leaving. Could it be he wants to leave such a s**t show of a club with no selection integrity.

Just seems Voss with his handling of selection is alienating players. From all reports Fish played a stinker in the 2s and strikes me as one of the cancers at the club, talented yes, conditional absolutely.

Who is driving the standards at the club?

If I have to see more s**t from the aC, already losing a game before the ball is bounced, I’ll literally have a god damn aneurism

Say all that is 100% true, it still does not excuse the MC on its selection integrity. Fact is our midfield is playing like s**t and Dow is tearing it up in the VFL. Last I remember this is AFL footy where the object ofthe game is to make finals not throw your toys out of the pram.

Ifwhat you are sayi gis true then it’s no wonder we are a basket case of a club.
I’m still very critical of the way we handled Stocker. Different circumstances but similar vibes with Dow and TDK.
Some might argue there’s a touch of vindictiveness with our approach.

I’m still very critical of the way we handled Stocker. Different circumstances but similar vibes with Dow and TDK.
Some might argue there’s a touch of vindictiveness with our approach.
Good grief, we’ve dragged up stocker now. Get a grip, this is the Carlton Sydney preview thread. If everyone wants to denigrate the club, players match committee etc etc etc there are other threads dedicated to such drivel.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But Gov surviving is purely a by-product of not wanting to make further changes/not having anybody else to replace him with.

Plenty of others on this list…

Motlop - witches hat. doesn’t kick goals, often out of position, can’t lay a tackle, way too small
Weitering - abysmal in 2023
Boyd - barely AFL level
Hollands - runs all day without any impact, can’t kick
Cottrell - done nothing since returning

I would have included Kennedy and Hewett.. but we do have someone who could come in for both.. we just refuse to pick him.

Giving up 10cm on Young.

Young has many deficiencies but his length and size make him an above average stopper.
His deficiencies are all mental, he talked about a lack of confidence last year and it's obvious to see that all our players are second guessing themselves, taking too long to make choices when they have the ball.

Hope he and the rest can get a few wins and loosen up, it'll make a massive difference

If we talk about selection integrity then fog should be the sub and I think our small forwards have been stinking it up .. need to win tonight so we don’t fall behind the pack and then launch for the rest of the year after the melb game/ bye

McGov played some great football last year, I was so pumped for him to dominate this year. Incredible just how many players we have playing below their best. In 2023c, think only Charlie, Doc, Newman, Cerra & Owies have been in consistent good form. (Leaving Hollands out because it is his first year)

5 players isn't great; it's only my opinion and maybe I missed one or two more, but as a team we have a lot of players off their best at the moment.

I'm reckon the Swans will come out fired up tomorrow thinking they have a good chance to roll us

He only played 6 games last season so maybe the problem is he cannot play consistently good football over the course of an entire season. His career output supports this view. IMO he is a grossly overrated footballer and the sooner he is gone from our club the better.

Either way if he puts in another game like the one he played against the Pies then he is gone as Marchbank surely isn’t too far away from senior team selection. I’d actually prefer to see Plowman back in the side than watch Gov play the way he has the last few games. Embarrassing the jumper.

Gov was good until he picked up that injury in the north game and was good that game too.

Has been rather trash since.

I wouldn't wanna be a kid on draft night getting selected to go to Carlton. I'd be thinking to myself gee, why would I wanna go to a club that doesn't reward their kids who are busting their backsides in the VFL? Ollie Hollands of course.

Cowan has also played this year.

It’s only Dow really. I’m sure Binns will get a look in at some point as well.

Gov will likely be at WC next year. Maybe Vossy keeps playing him so his value doesn't drop...

There was actually a report in the West this week that Jeremy McGovern had a coffee with Chris Judd a couple weeks ago in Perth, so the insinuation was that if McGovern brothers play together next season it might be at Carlton. I haven’t slept properly since reading the article.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back