Preview Changes Rd 4 vs Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Whatever changes we make can we have at least one marking forward and one crumber if we are going to bomb it long inside 50

On Pixel 7 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app
Watching hawthorn today, even they were able to atleast provide a decent contest down the line against Stewart. Chol even stuck his knee into Stewart. We are so useless we can’t even manage a tall player down the line that can even provide an aerial contest

Changes for Round 4:

Outs: Milera (injured), Murphy (no good/injured), Borlase

Ins: Curtin, Nankervis, Cook

FB Daniel Curtin Mark Keane, Brodie Smith
HB Mitchell Hinge, Josh Worrell, Max Michalanney
C: Lachlan Sholl, Jordan Dawson, Chayce Jones
HF Ben Keays, Izak Rankine, Josh Rachele
FF Chris Burgess, Darcy Fogarty, Taylor Walker

FOL Reilly O'Brien, Matt Crouch, Jake Soligo

IC Luke Pedlar, Nankervis, Cook, Laird

SUB: Ned McHenry.

Laird gets zero CBA's. Primary 3 midfielders are Dawson, Crouch, Soligo. With Rankine / Rachele going attending about 30% and Pedlar getting about 5 CBA's.

Firstly. I'd move Laird to back pocket.

Out: Milera, Smith, Pedlar, Jones, Sholl, McHenry, (Murphy)
In: Curtin, Nankervis, Dowling, Berry, Edwards, Ryan (Pedlar)

FB: Worrell ~ Borlase ~ Laird
HB: Michalanney ~ Keane ~ Hinge
C: Soligo ~ Crouch ~ Nankervis
R: Obrien ~ Dawson ~ Rachele
HF: Dowling ~ Walker ~ Keays
FF: Rankine ~ Fogarty ~ Burgess
B: Edwards ~ Berry ~ Ryan ~ Curtin
S: Pedlar
This looks a better balance on paper, for me I'd put soligo to dawsons role, tgen hinge to wing and Dawson to half back. I would also consider bond and cooke to the bench in rotation

Petty is currently in 'wait a year and get him for free as a free agent' territory
Definitely, Pettys form certainly doesn't warrant paying any draft capital for, let him develop an extra year at a club that knows how to develop players and then if he still wants to come home bingo.
Time is the great revealer, we can now see our draft picks have been dismal in some area's. We just need guys that can football and have the mindset of champions, not victims.
There's a coaching and development problem at AFC, and the elephant in the room is the board, this is the number one priority for change

Cohesion?

Create a better environment and a better structure and allow natural footballers to actually play their own game. Select players based on form and not based on their history with the club.

Rewarding mediocrity is a problem for cohesion. It makes players think if they can be subpar they will be rewarded. eg; Lachlan Murphy and Sholl. Brodie smith is being rewarded a cheap game because we can't show a bit of back bone by dropping a "club legend" on the verge of his 250th despite being out of form for the better part of 3 years.

There is no structure. We've got 'Hospital Ball legend' Rory Laird, 'Handball Happy Harry' Matt Crouch and ROB rolling out most of our CBA's why do you think there is average forward 50 entries? Must be cohesion. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. Nick's is in complete denial blaming the players. He chose those players. We pride ourselves on fostering a culture where underperformance goes unpunished.

I watched Fog like a hawk last night. His lead patterns are shot (or shite) but he doesn't know how to get himself into position again. He's happy to be second to the footy. Cohesion though.

The only bloke who could truly hold his head high last night was Jake Soligo. Who was the only player who gave us any form of excitement when he got the footy.

Players are a product of their environment. This environment created by Nicks is stripping all talent out of the blokes, who have any X factor. Rankine & Rachelle look a shell of themselves, continually double-guess themselves. Flair? What flair... Guaranteed if they played for Collingwood or Geelong they would not be like this.

Nicks is a disgrace for blaming the players. I think he may have had a brain fart and forgot he selected that team of duds to field the side. He showed a lot of his true self by blaming others and not owning the fact that he got it wrong as a leader and make the right changes moving. As the coach, it's imperative for progress rather than deflecting accountability onto others.

But cohesion.
Well said mate, coqching and development is lacking, and a big set of kahunas to boot, no tough decision making.

Changes for Round 4:

Outs: Milera (injured), Murphy (no good/injured), Borlase

Ins: Curtin, Nankervis, Cook

FB Daniel Curtin Mark Keane, Brodie Smith
HB Mitchell Hinge, Josh Worrell, Max Michalanney
C: Lachlan Sholl, Jordan Dawson, Chayce Jones
HF Ben Keays, Izak Rankine, Josh Rachele
FF Chris Burgess, Darcy Fogarty, Taylor Walker

FOL Reilly O'Brien, Matt Crouch, Jake Soligo

IC Luke Pedlar, Nankervis, Cook, Laird

SUB: Ned McHenry.

Laird gets zero CBA's. Primary 3 midfielders are Dawson, Crouch, Soligo. With Rankine / Rachele going attending about 30% and Pedlar getting about 5 CBA's.
Smith is completely cooked.

My attempt at a team that Nicks will never pick:

Michalanney Butts Worrell
Nankervis Keane Curtin
Dowling Soligo Hinge
Rachele Fogarty Pedlar
McHenry Burgess Gollant

ROB Dawson Rankine

Crouch Laird Keays Edwards

Em: Hamill

Out
Walker inj Milera inj Smith cooked/retire Sholl omit/squib Borlase omit Murphy inj Jones omit

In
Gollant Nankervis Dowling Curtin Butts Edwards Hamill

Last edited:
I have a feeling we won't see too many unforced changes this week - purely because we are playing a strong mature team, on a prime time stage. We will be too scared to make the moves needed.

Once we get pantsed though, the changes will start happening.

I swear we go through this every year. Forget everything we learnt from the previous season over summer, and repeat the same mistakes at the start of the next year.

I have a feeling we won't see too many unforced changes this week - purely because we are playing a strong mature team, on a prime time stage. We will be too scared to make the moves needed.

I swear we go through this every year. Forget everything we learnt from the previous season over summer, and repeat the same mistakes at the start of the next year.
Can’t, the following week we will play a strong team away, couldn’t expose young players to that, we need experience:

If Murphy is fit it’s going to be an interesting call what happens. Drop Pedlar and Murphy survives or drop Murphy who was relegated to sub, did **** all with his 3 turnovers from 4 touches.

Can’t, the following week we will play a strong team away, couldn’t expose young players to that, we need experience:

Yet more indesputable evidence that Rory Laird is a absolutely shithouse footballer.. a hack.

Oh, damn, did I say that out aloud again?..

Ooops… The laird fanbois in here will come after me!

The bloke isnt a midfielders arseh*le. Hes a kick and hope accumulator that doesnt do any damage with his possessions.. apart from damage to his own side.

There’s a reason he was overlooked in his draft year.. and was only picked up in the rookie draft.

Cause he’s crap.

But the Mark Ruccuito “he gets 30+ possessions a game so he must be a gun” theory that has crippled this club for a decade still reigns supreme..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

“Once we get pantsed though, the changes will start happening.“

Since when has this ever happened?..

We’ve been getting pantsed for a good few years now and the same “back the boys in”.. “experience and continuity” ideology has consistently been applied at the selection table.

The only way we get change is by changing those coaching and running the football department.

We need a massive broom.

“Once we get pantsed though, the changes will start happening.“

Since when has this ever happened?..

We’ve been getting pantsed for a good few years now and the same “back the boys in”.. “experience and continuity” ideology has consistently been applied at the selection table.

The only way we get change is by changing those coaching and running the football department.

We need a massive broom.
It always takes us a few weeks to see the obvious.
We will make some changes - not enough and not what's actually required, but we will. Not until after this week though. This week will be all about experience.

I’ve never seen a game where we were not only so shit and fumbly, but even when we’d fumble and miss kick, and looked like we had time or enough numbers to recover it, would still **** it up.

Brodie Smith is just past it man. He’s playing some looney tunes footy rn it’s so sad. The whole club is delusional, look at how Daniel Rich omitted himself from the Brisbane team last year to find form. That’s what a decent club does, ours is full of underachievers who think they’re better than they are.

I bet we rest Tex, Smith for that Carlton away game. Curtin, Cook & Nankervis play, we give the kids lots of centre square time. Murphy sub.

When we get pumped we'll be able to say See the kids aren't ready, bring back Tex and Smith (& Sloane), go back to the old stagers in the centre square, Murphy in the 22.

It'll be treated as a Ben Davis at Kardinia game.

Nankervis Keane Curtin
Dowling Soligo Hinge
Rachele Fogarty Pedlar
McHenry Burgess Gollant

ROB Dawson Rankine

Out
Walker inj Milera inj Smith cooked/retire Sholl omit/squib Borlase omit Murphy inj Jones omit

In
This is what I hope happens (except I do hope Tex is fit but seems unlikely), but there is next to no chance of it. Hard to see how the team would be worse off by doing it either

Begin Rant
Cut out our cancers Laird, Smith, Murphy to begin, incoming Dowling to wing Nankervis bf, Curtin I don’t care where but be attacking. No good dropping Pedlar poor bastard and tell him to work on his deficiency in the twos, same game plan, just free him up like all our young guys to play their natural games, we’ve *d you guys up long enough we are stifling your progress, do your thing.
We know Nicks can’t do this other wise he looks like an idiot who has stuffed up 4 years of progress.
Get something happening that at least looks like our development is progressing our future players,
Fog
Thilthorpe
Jones
Rachelle
Soligo
Nankervis
Worrell
And I could keep going, I’m a sick of seeing players show what they have, plateaus out then regress.
To have so many players out of form it is not an individual issue, it’s coaching wake The * up and start taking responsibility or get out, implement a team rule that if you win a ground ball stoppage the first thought is to reflex h/ball till we find our free runner, no f*n hack kicks, an use the overlap runners, you see you give.
I could go on forever as we all could, oh and you people making these decisions die by your sword and get the F* out because we are starting to tune out

Nankervis Keane Curtin
Dowling Soligo Hinge
Rachele Fogarty Pedlar
McHenry Burgess Gollant

ROB Dawson Rankine

Out

In
I like this game..

Team Nicks will never pick

Nank Keane Laird
Curtin Crouch Cook
Soglio Tex Keays
Rankine Burgess Rachele
RoB Dawson Dowling

Int Jones Edwards Fog Bond

Sub McHenry