Freo robbed !!! Ball was clearly touched. AFL media trying to cover up the obvious umpire error

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 2, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Why won't they show us the "down the ground" footage from behind the goals?

I'll tell you why... Because Hewett's kick which was marked by Cotterell deflected off Aish's outstretched arm by about one metre.
It was an absolute howler of a non-decision from the umpires. Incredible that none of the 4 umpires were in position to see this.

I just assumed that the Freo players were complaining that Nat Fyfe touched it off the boot. Like most people, I thought, "Oh well... Umpires can't always tell if a player gets their fingernail on the ball. Freo are probably grasping at straws trying to claim it wasn't a mark."

But then I saw this footage and I was shocked...

It's so typical of the AFL that they'll do anything to gloss over the mistakes from umpires, especially the ones which decide a game.

Nathan Schmook's match report on afl.com had the headline "Undisciplined Dockers hand Blues controversial win"

No, they didn't. The 4 blind umpires handed the Blues a controversial win by not calling "touched, play on". The match was decided by Cottterell's match-winning goal with 45 secs left. The dissent shown by Jordan Clark which led to Carlton's 10th goal simply cost Freo the chance of salvaging a miracle win in the final seconds (which in all likelihood, probably wasn't gonna happen anyway.)

Schmook wrote, "Matthew Cottrell was then awarded a mark and converted his set shot as Dockers players pleaded with the umpire that the ball had been touched."

Why doesn't he write that the ball WAS touched and that Cotterell should not have been awarded the mark?

That's the real story... Pathetic journalism.

I watched the "The Round So Far" highlights with Riley Beveridge and Kane Cornes. They're repeating the same ploy, focusing more on the free kick against Clark for dissent. They're even using the "down the ground" footage from behind the goals to show the exact moment he said something to the umpire. :drunk::drunk::drunk::drunk:

I'll ask again, why won't they show us this "down the ground" footage from a few seconds earlier and let us all see the wicked deflection the ball took off James Aish's arm?

They showed a close-up from a different angle where you can see the ball brushes Aish's hair (after it hit his arm) and Cornes pours cold water on the Dockers' protests, saying "That's a mark. We're paying that a mark in every instance. We always have."

Blatantly misleading the football public.

Incredible how they choose cover the umpires' arses and the AFL arses by not coming clean and admitting the obvious error

Shite journalism... That's what you get when they're all AFL bootlickers.

F**k the AFL.

edit: Blues fans, please try to take club colours out of this and look at the over-arching story. You got the 4 premiership points. Well done. But this is more about the umpires being unable to make an OBVIOUS decision between the four of them and costing a team a hard-earned win and then the AFL media not reporting the facts and trying to spin the story.

Last edited:
Happy Jim Carrey GIF

The umpires trying their best missed the correct call and it was decisive for Carlton. It’s unfortunate…but what else is there to say? When you don’t put your opponent away that’s always a risk.

It was touched. Can’t be overturned as it has to be seen by in umpire.

The frustration is understandable but this stuff happens. Peter Riccardi against us in 2002 and a GF which will never be mentioned ever again, for instance.
I think the point of the thread is the cover-up

It was obviously touched and the AFL's media won't acknowledge that at all

Can't expect the umps to see everything but the AFL want to present them as perfect, the cover-up is pretty lame

On SM-A225F using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The umpires trying their best missed the correct call and it was decisive for Carlton. It’s unfortunate…but what else is there to say? When you don’t put your opponent away that’s always a risk.
Once upon a time, we had one field umpire.

For years, we had two field umpires.

Then we had three field umpires

Now we've got FOUR field umpires.

How many fricken umpires do we need to get these calls right? Is it asking too much to have one field umpire standing back off the pack in a central position where he would've seen the deflection off James Aish? What the hell were they all doing???

Blaming Fremantle for not putting Carlton away is just a cop-out. Sure, there's some truth in that, but it's besides the point. Cotterell was awarded a mark which should've been called "touched, play on". It decided the game.

Last edited:
Good lord that is a ridiculous melt.

How about instead you take club colours out of it and acknowledge that it while it was touched (which the AFL have acknowledged) it was a quick kick out of a pack that happened to glance a player in an unusual way and didn't appear touched at full pace. That happens all the time, and the touched part isn't the story here. Had Cottrell just gone back, taken his kick, and the ball gone back to the middle it would have been a curiosity - yep, probably touched, but easy to miss, and now lets get on with the last 40

Do controversial decisions happen? Yep, all the time. Had Carlton lost by a goal I'd probably be a bit aggrieved by several free kicks - I mean, 6 out of Freo's 9 goals came from free kicks 20m out from goal. But we all would have had a bit of a whinge and moved on.

The unusual/interesting story in this case is CLEARLY the dissent decision, which drew much more attention to the touch, and is a very rare occurrence. And the story is that it either represents some incredibly poor discipline by the Freo player(s) involved, or is a much bigger umpiring story. And there's probably another aspect which is when the dissent decision should have been paid (ie: if it was that bad, should a 50m penalty have been given earlier to Cottrell, instead of allowing the dissent to continue until after the goal then paying a second kick).

Ultimately, the touched call is an unfortunate missed call that is a fairly routine situation. There was still a heap of time left in the game, Carlton had the ball deep, had generated plenty of chances and had all the momentum. That's a non-story - I mean, what more is there to say? It's not reviewable, we don't want that sort of thing to be reviewable (are we going to review every field kick to see if it was touched? the game would go for 9 hours) and there's not much for the media to talk about.

The dissent decision is a far bigger issue and it is understandable that the media is focusing on that tb.

Once upon a time, we had one field umpire.

For years, we had two field umpires.

Then we had three field umpires

Now we've got FOUR field umpires.

How many fricken umpires do we need to get these calls right? Is it asking too much to ask to have one field umpire standing back off the pack in a central position where he would've seen the deflection off James Aish? What the hell were they all doing???

Blaming Fremantle for not putting Carlton away is just a cop-out. Sure, there's some truth in that, but it's besides the point. Cotterell was awarded a mark which should've been called "touched, play on". It decided the game.

Do you really think they’ll remove human error by adding more humans? I get it was a bad call but umpires these days are pretty much professional athletes trying their best to be as accurate as possible. I bet they feel like shit today and are back in training tomorrow trying to get better. What more can you ask?

Bloody Oath it was touched. They want to cover it up well yeah welcome to life and all the piss poor people and things that come with it. Gutless. If Freo were given phantom free kicks in front of goal then bad luck then it's fair and square that the Blues were handed one back. But if we're going to go in detail were the Blues given any free kicks in front of goal previously that weren't there? Or free's that led to goals? Were Freo denied other chances in front of goal? The plot thickens.

Can't expect the umps to see everything but the AFL want to present them as perfect, the cover-up is pretty lame

'Cover Up'. Hmmm... ok.

On the Fox Footy website: https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl
Front Page Video titled: "AFL Videos: Fresh vision reveals CLEAR touch" (emphasis from the website)

On The Age Website: https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...-seals-win-for-the-blues-20240406-p5fhvu.html
Headline: "Ball was touched before Blues mark but dissent decision correct says AFL boss"

On the AFL website - feature video is Kane Cornes discussing the incident:
https://www.afl.com.au/
Headline "Viscious Query in Dissent Drama" - 60 seconds into the video they show repeated slow-motion video of the touched call and this is really the first footage shown after Cottrell kicking the goal. (Cornes' conclusion is that it should be paid a mark)

How on earth is this a cover-up? The AFL have acknowledged it was touched, every major media source is repeating that.

It's just that no-one thinks the touched part is the big deal. They all think the dissent decision a far bigger story.

Welcome to the AFL. Hope you enjoyed your first game.

Same thing happened in a game years ago when WCE played Pies at Marvel.

They showed a 4k shot of Priddis clearly touching a ball before it went through for a goal then suddenly, that footage was no longer available and all they had was 'grainy' inconclusive shots.

AFL is just WWE for football.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back