Review Round 5, 2024 vs Fremantle

Remove this Banner Ad

Freo looked the better side tonight but you take the wins any way you can.

Tonight’s showing was the perfect example why the Sack Ken Hinkley thread keeps breaking records, he was totally schooled by Longmuir & had no answer to Freo’s defensive game style.

Freo were well organised around the contest, while we looked out numbered & disjointed.

I know Charlie was big towards the end, but I’m convinced we are a better side when he’s not in it. Our forward structure would work so much better with Marshall & Georgie offering leads into open space instead of the Hail Mary BS. The other issue with Charlie is he’s simply to banged up & not mobile enough to play the modern game.

Lastly, what is it going to take for the brains trust to realise McEntee is not AFL standard?

A very weak aspect of our game is the ability to take releiving marks in packs coming out of defence. We never have appropriate tall representation / enough contested marking ability. Dixon cant do it, Soldo didnt do it tonight and Marshall just tends to cease existing so I dont know where it would come from.

Esava and Aliir need to communicate and stop jumping into each other when trying to spoil
The defence is still gelling. Its almost complely new. If it isnt ironed out by mid season you can assume itll be an issue all year.

I have no idea how we won that. Until that final siren went I was expecting a Ken Hinkley special. Play in a hard fought finals type contest and just fall short (the getting blown away option wasn't on the cards).

I don't know who played well, it felt like Miles Bergman made things happen whenever he had the ball, albeit without a heap of touches.

Thought Lachie Jones was good, provided some good cover and his pace forced some hurried kicks. Stopped some of their breakaway plays with powerful tackling.

Georgie was good in patches, Dixon was a statue who came to life twice.

The midfield was all cameos.

This is what happens when I try to be positive about them. I apologise for tempting the footy gods.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Terrible game to watch . I think we were definitely off the boil , maybe believing the hype about last weeks performance. Freo play such a dour one on one clog up the corridor game and luckily for them two big key defenders who clogged up the forward line too . Luckily we have the same I guess as BZT, the Rat and Allir were all good , Jones , Burton and Farrell were good as well such was the defensive nature of the game . I thought Powell Pepper was poor and McEntee even worse , every now and then he p,as a goodish game but I don’t see it really myself , surely we have better . Marshall was ordinary , so was Byrne Jones . Wines average Houston was ok . Bergman pretty good Drew solid but not spectacular, Burgoyne , promising, Dixon , struggled but did contribute. Georgiades not bad not bad . Soldo solid though not overly effective bit like Burgoyne . Rioli was ok but fairly quiet really . Butters was my best for us , Rozee was good without being outstanding. JHF a bit down but contributed. Mead was ok when he came on .
Credit to Freo ugly but challenging game style . Jackson’s a beast and Fyfes still good and those key backs made us look like the Crows when they played them , thankfully we kept trying and trying led by Rozee and Butters and just did enough to win .
Take the 4 points and run

I don't know who played well, it felt like Miles Bergman made things happen whenever he had the ball, albeit without a heap of touches.
Kicked that goal, almost another from about 60. and took 2-3 contested marks against the odds. All near the end of the game.

I had him 2nd best for us. Very hard to pick a best after the top 3 or 4.

Thought defenses for both sides were well on top, forward structure once again was bomb long and hope. Needed the coaches to open up forward space ie let jhf go one on one, but Hinks does what he does, work hardery longery.

Kicked that goal, almost another from about 60. and took 2-3 contested marks against the odds. All near the end of the game.

I had him 2nd best for us. Very hard to pick a best after the top 3 or 4.

That goal was sensational.

Who did you have best?

Very frustrating game, we just couldn't take our chances with forward entry again being a huge issue. We do some of the most beautiful clearance work you've ever seen and we have one of our best ball users by himself in 15m of space breaking forward out of the centre square, and we seem to find a contest instead of a target. Why? Why can't we generate a simple mark on a lead in that scenario? Every other team can do it.

The clearance work here needs to be a wakeup call that we're not invincible in the middle, we need to step up against good midfields like Freos. That said, it always felt like we were doing more with our clearances when we got them, Freos were shallower and more contested.

That said, absolutely massive to step up and win in the last 5 minutes. Finally executed when it mattered. JHF enormous. Everyone enormous. We need to find ways to win as the season goes on and hopefully that gives them some belief that they can make something happen if our backs are against the wall.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back