Champs Lg UEFA Champions League 2023/24 (Final: Borussia Dortmund vs Real Madrid) - On Stan

Champions League

Remove this Banner Ad

I was actually happy to have a genuine discussion, but your default setting (and I don't fully blame you) is to turn everything into a tit for tat because you're so used to irrational criticism of City. Maybe best to leave it there then.
It's not a tit for tat. I just don't see the point carrying on discussion with someone that can't get their head around the idea that a club that's had success is still looking at improving its squad and performances.

still dont understand why madrid scoring once in manchester should be considered at the same level as us scoring 3 times in madrid but so be it.

Agreed. Madrid could simply defend without away goals. With away goals they needed 2 goals to win the tie realistically. Encouraging attacking football.

If it were up to me id bring back away goals next season..

It's not a tit for tat. I just don't see the point carrying on discussion with someone that can't get their head around the idea that a club that's had success is still looking at improving its squad and performances.

Well you called my point stupid, and then weird, so it certainly felt that way. And even this post is more than a bit condescending.

I'm well aware that a squad is continuously looking to improve and that standing still is going backwards. But bringing in a striker to consolidate and focus your goal scoring in a very clear departure from Pep's previous style at City was done to achieve success in a competition you'd previously not been able to do well in. Haaland said itself, for a third time, so it's clearly not as bizarre a point as you keep trying to make it out to be.

And you won the CL last year, so perhaps it worked? And if that's good enough then that's great.

still dont understand why madrid scoring once in manchester should be considered at the same level as us scoring 3 times in madrid but so be it.

I guess in the same way that them scoring three at home is on the same level as you only managing one at home.

Haaland isn’t really expected to be involved a lot in the build up play. He might only touch the ball a few times a game and sometimes, it’s just for him to get on the end of it. All about timing, movement and supply.

Only one team can win the title each season so I wouldn’t say it’s a failure per se.

Sick burn.

Wasn't meant as a burn? Was just pointing out the rationale behind removing it.

City could only manage one goal at home, why should they get an advantage?

Haaland isn’t really expected to be involved a lot in the build up play. He might only touch the ball a few times a game and sometimes, it’s just for him to get on the end of it. All about timing, movement and supply.

Only one team can win the title each season so I wouldn’t say it’s a failure per se.

Absolutely agree with that. And he didn't get on the end of it, so he didn't do his job, which meant it was a disappointing campaign for him. No one (at least as far as I'm aware) has called him a failure this season, or a flop, or any other hyperbolic term that gets used all too often these days, just that I would have thought City would have wanted more from him in this campaign than he provided. 12 in 11 last season 6 in 9 this season, with only 1 in the knockouts (in a tie already decided). That was all I was saying.

I suspect if Haaland was asked how he summed up his CL campaign this year he'd say he was disappointed in himself not being able to contribute more, so I'm not sure why it's such a controversial comment to make.

Wasn't meant as a burn? Was just pointing out the rationale behind removing it.

City could only manage one goal at home, why should they get an advantage?

It might not have been meant as a burn, but the point you made was a good one. That yes, RM could only manage to score 1 goal in Manchester but City also only managed 1 goal in Manchester. So basically City and RM were exactly on the same level.

It might not have been meant as a burn, but the point you made was a good one. That yes, RM could only manages 1 goal in Manchester but do did City. So basically City and RM were exactly on the same level.

All good, I think with a lot of the discussion on this board lately if you disagree with someone you're trolling or looking for a quick gotcha or whatever and sometimes genuine points are dismissed or marginalised as a result. Sometimes a contrasting opinion is just that, a different view to prompt a discussion. It doesn't have to be stupid or weird or disingenuous.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Absolutely agree with that. And he didn't get on the end of it, so he didn't do his job, which meant it was a disappointing campaign for him. No one (at least as far as I'm aware) has called him a failure this season, or a flop, or any other hyperbolic term that gets used all too often these days, just that I would have thought City would have wanted more from him in this campaign than he provided. 12 in 11 last season 6 in 9 this season, with only 1 in the knockouts (in a tie already decided). That was all I was saying.

I suspect if Haaland was asked how he summed up his CL campaign this year he'd say he was disappointed in himself not being able to contribute more, so I'm not sure why it's such a controversial comment to make.
Probably a fair valuation. I’m sure most strikers would want to score more. I can’t speak for how good the service is in the CL but he definitely missed some gilt-edged chances in the PL.

until recently one was considered more important and difficult than the other.

And it's no longer viewed that way. Why should the onus be less for City to produce at home? If the away goals rule still existed you would have gone to Manchester and sat on the lead, and RM would have had to chase a result, when they had managed to score 3 at home, requiring you to score none at home. I can see why that would be considered unfair.

I hear there are some solid strikers in League 2.

Ok?

If you signed a world class striker, where does that leave Kai?

For certain fixtures and tactics, he’s very effective as a false 9. As the volume of league goals that Arsenal have scored this year reflects with him in the middle. He’s much more effective in that shape and system than as the left 8, which I believe Arsenal need to heavily invest in this summer.

This doesn’t necessarily need to become a Havertz discussion, because in fairness to him, his goal won you the CL three seasons ago in capitalising on that said moment. Arsenal need to strengthen the squad to compliment him, not replace.

Don't know if the analysis supports this but apparently it was changed because teams were parking the bus at home in first legs to avoid conceding an away goal.

All good, I think with a lot of the discussion on this board lately if you disagree with someone you're trolling or looking for a quick gotcha or whatever and sometimes genuine points are dismissed or marginalised as a result. Sometimes a contrasting opinion is just that, a different view to prompt a discussion. It doesn't have to be stupid or weird or disingenuous.

You’re correct, it was the wrong thing of me to say. You weren’t meaning it as a gotcha. It was a good point you raised in any case. City and RM were very close throughout the tie. 4-4 and then a penalty shootout is as close as it gets.

And it's no longer viewed that way. Why should the onus be less for City to produce at home? If the away goals rule still existed you would have gone to Manchester and sat on the lead, and RM would have had to chase a result, when they had managed to score 3 at home, requiring you to score none at home. I can see why that would be considered unfair.
there should be less onus because they went to someone else's home ground and scored, something that is viewed as more difficult and there should be a higher reward. why bother with 2 legs home and away then?

Well you called my point stupid, and then weird, so it certainly felt that way. And even this post is more than a bit condescending.

I'm well aware that a squad is continuously looking to improve and that standing still is going backwards. But bringing in a striker to consolidate and focus your goal scoring in a very clear departure from Pep's previous style at City was done to achieve success in a competition you'd previously not been able to do well in. Haaland said itself, for a third time, so it's clearly not as bizarre a point as you keep trying to make it out to be.

And you won the CL last year, so perhaps it worked? And if that's good enough then that's great.
Like I said, I think you're premise is wrong so dont really care to discuss it any more.

If you think we signed Haaland for the Champions league, fill your boots.

Last edited:
there should be less onus because they went to someone else's home ground and scored, something that is viewed as more difficult and there should be a higher reward. why bother with 2 legs home and away then?

There's an argument that all knock out games should just be at neutral venues then as the result will be pretty heavily impacted by who has the home leg first vs second.

Like I said, I think you're premise is wrong so dont really care yo discuss it any more.

Of you think we signed Haaland for the Champions league, fill your boots.

Haaland thinks it so that's good enough for me. If you didn't care to discuss it you could have left it there instead of the unnecessary replies that were intended to belittle my point of view. As I said I don't entirely blame you for how you interact when you perceive someone to be criticising City, but treating each discussion on its merits would be a start.

There's an argument that all knock out games should just be at neutral venues then as the result will be pretty heavily impacted by who has the home leg first vs second.
if away goals mean nothing then they might as well. but there's no incentive to really do anything but match the result in the first leg now currently.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back