FA Cup FA Cup 2023/24 (Final: Man City vs Man United) - On Paramount+

Football Association Cup

Remove this Banner Ad

Bullshit.

To say that not a single small clubs fans wouldn't love a replay if it meant a day out at the biggest clubs stadiums is just lying.
Only if you completely and utterly ignore the fact that by progressing they could easily draw a bigger club at their home ground in the next round.

If you wanna cherry pick arguments why not say would you rather west ham away, win a penalty shootout then play arsenal away or play West ham at home, draw and then lose the replay away which the small teams would lose almost all of the time

Only if you completely and utterly ignore the fact that by progressing they could easily draw a bigger club at their home ground in the next round.

If you wanna cherry pick arguments why not say would you rather west ham away, win a penalty shootout then play arsenal away or play West ham at home, draw and then lose the replay away which the small teams would lose almost all of the time

Penalties should be scraped all together.

No game should be decided by them.

Lol

You want to talk about decisions that would unevenly benefit the bigger clubs there's one.

It's a decision that's been taken where there's benefits for all clubs as a result. People complaining about it just don't like change and think it somehow detracts from their own nostalgic memories about memorable replays.
Change is good when it results in improvements.

I don't think this does.

One thing or sure, this change hasnt been made to benefit the lower league clubs, and the reaction of many is perfectly understandable to me.

Doesn't solve penalties for every other competition and game that uses it outside the first 5 rounds of the FA cup but cool story

So then these Euro competition regulars should be pushing for only one game, none of this 2 legs bullshit.

I mean if it's an issue with the FA Cup it's must be an issue elsewhere.

1p per occasion someone has a cry about charges that haven't been proven.

Will raise much more.
Let's do both. Solve football equity and equality and have some spare for the UK cost of living issues.

Big footy again solving big problems

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So then these Euro competition regulars should be pushing for only one game, none of this 2 legs bullshit.

I mean if it's an issue with the FA Cup it's must be an issue elsewhere.

Playing a game over two legs is completely different to the concept of a replay.

The people up in arms about the scrapping of replays should be channeling that energy in to the real issue which is the need for a fairer, more even financial distribution to these smaller clubs rather than literally hoping for pot luck in a cup draw, and then hoping you draw rather than win because that’s more financially beneficial.

I can't agree with that. Would not have one of my favourite moments to rewatch if that had been the case previously. Pens are great theatre.

Last edited:
The people up in arms about the scrapping of replays should be channeling that energy in to the real issue which is the need for a fairer, more even financial distribution to these smaller clubs rather than literally hoping for pot luck in a cup draw, and then hoping you draw rather than win because that’s more financially beneficial.
I think clubs are entitled to push for a better financial deal without needing to give up things that are important to them as a tradeoff.

I think it is important for them to fight for a better financial deal. But equally important that they don't let the Premier league walk all over them in the process.

The people up in arms about the scrapping of replays should be channeling that energy in to the real issue which is the need for a fairer, more even financial distribution to these smaller clubs
Which could easily see progress if 20 greedy premier league clubs, or the majority of them, would approve the EFL funding deal they are currently blocking.

Fans of clubs lower down the pyramid don’t care that much about progressing. They can’t win the competition so getting to the 3rd or 4th round really makes no difference. They want to draw the biggest club they can, and if they can’t knock them off in 90 minutes they’ll happily take a big away day or a massive night at home.

It’s not a massive deal, but is another example that the authorities think clubs lower down the pyramid should be thankful they’re allowed to be a part of it.

A lot of lower clubs are annoyed and rightly so. They weren't consulted. My club, Scunny, has joined many others in joining Tranmere's statement.

I love replays. Yes, they can get annoying at times. But sometimes, they are bloody fantastic and so worth it. Clubs should do better to win it if you don't want a draw. Go all out knowing you might lose.

One last thing; FA Cup should always be on the last day of the English Season.

Why are replays important to teams? Put aside this notion that the replay is always at the bigger club and thus brings more money which is a stupid argument, what other reason is there?
Penalties can be stupid. I much prefer a replay over ET and Pens. ET could easily be as taxing as another match. And we all know what will happen with 5 subs and 9 players on the bench, another change made by the Elites. oh look, he comes Haaland and co off the bench. Have another 30 mins against this tiring mob.

Tradition. 150 years of it

One extra home/away game. Something to look forward to with a draw. another match with gate receipts, which may be very beneficial to the club. And not just PL to L2. But L2 to the lower ends of the pyramid. Another stadium to visit, or a chance to win it at home.

Stuff the Elites. All this talk about one extra game if you are not good enough to win in 90 mins. Our squads are smaller and yet we play as many games as the elites. We have 46 matches in a league, the stupid Paint trophy, which the academy leagues have ruined with a stupid group stage. It is all about the Elites just wanting to play among themselves more often.

Stuff the Elites v2. They did this without any input or vote. They just did it

These are the blokes the lower league clubs should be going after.

Parry is a politician only interested in the top end of football, Ridsdale shouldn't be allowed in any position of influence in football after Leeds. Moxey is hated by anyone that supports a club that he's had any influence over. Not sure on Kavanagh.

These are the blokes the lower league clubs should be going after.

Parry is a politician only interested in the top end of football, Ridsdale shouldn't be allowed in any position of influence in football after Leeds. Moxey is hated by anyone that supports a club that he's had any influence over. Not sure on Kavanagh.

The agreement which now sees the abolition of replays from the competition format was agreed solely between the Premier League and FA. Ahead of the deal being announced there was no agreement with the EFL nor was there any formal consultation with EFL Clubs as members of the FA and participants in the competition.

Sounds like a complete stuff-up by the FA and PL. PR disaster, right when there is a review of football in the House of Commons

More and more EFL clubs are slamming it and that will continue as the pile on starts.

at least with FIFA Votes, you have to bribe the small nations to vote for you. The PL/FA couldn't even be bothered doing that (as they continue to contest money back to the EFL)

Sounds like a complete stuff-up by the FA and PL. PR disaster, right when there is a review of football in the House of Commons

More and more EFL clubs are slamming it and that will continue as the pile on starts.

at least with FIFA Votes, you have to bribe the small nations to vote for you. The PL/FA couldn't even be bothered doing that (as they continue to contest money back to the EFL)
That's appalling if the EFL weren't even consulted.

Take back my criticism of the EFL reps (on this occasion)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back