AFC Asian Cup 2023 (Qatar Champions)

Who do you think will win AFC Asian Cup 2023?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Time to split all the power in asian has gone to the West

Financial yes. Political power no.

Oceania into East Asian confederation.

East Asian Cup 8 teams every 4 years.

Australia
South Korea
Japan
China
NZ
Thailand
Vietnam
Indonesia

* the oil money sportswashers.

Australia
South Korea
Japan
China
NZ
Thailand
Vietnam
Indonesia

I like it! should happen now that World Cup qualifying is a lot easier in both confederations. So how can it be done is the question? do both confederations have to approve of a split and a merger or do the countries of East Asia and Oceania need to lobby FIFA to get involved to create a new confederation? I don’t know the politics of it all man seems it’ll be a lot harder than we think.

I like it! should happen now that World Cup qualifying is a lot easier in both confederations. So how can it be done is the question? do both confederations have to approve of a split and a merger or do the countries of East Asia and Oceania need to lobby FIFA to get involved to create a new confederation? I don’t know the politics of it all man seems it’ll be a lot harder than we think.

The main obstacle is the ME petrostates crave the political connections & footballing prowess of East Asia. They just want to control it for their own needs.

Another thing Australia/South Korea/Japan is 3 out of the 5 best nations in Asia right there. Of the two other AFC powerhouse Iran & the rest of the Arab world do not get on and are openly hostile.

I reckon a split would see East Asia get 4.5 spots and west Asia 4 spots in WC qualifying. This equals some very unhappy Arab nations.

Which is about right. Australia/Japan/Korea/NZ with one of Thailand/China/Vietnam being the other 0.5.

So ultimately the petrostates will just throw money at East Asian nations to ensure AFC remains united but on their terms. That's why we see ridiculous things like South Korea offering to host Asian Cup 2023 in South Korea but the AFC turning round and taking it back to Qatar causing issues as it had to be played in Jan 2024.

For it to happen you would firstly need:

1. OFC to agree to be absorbed into East Asian confederation. Probably not too difficult to do, the OFC confederation has little power financially, politically and in football terms. I don't see OFC objecting too much to becoming a sub association of East Asia as long as they receive financial support.

2. East/West Asia division of nations. This is the tough part. FIFA won't allow one side to do it unilaterally as that would cause absolute chaos. The division of nations amongst East/West would have to be agreed. Guess who won't want to be giving up the footballing prestige Aus/S Korea/Japan brings to Asia - Saudi Arabia.

What’s even more embarrassing is Iran, Japan, Korea, Australia and Saudi Arabia not even making semis or the final.

Seems a lot of nations are over constantly playing tournaments in the ME. Except for Qatar for some reason.

Seems a lot of nations are over constantly playing tournaments in the ME. Except for Qatar for some reason.
Agree.
As an Australia football fan, just no one listens or understands the hectic and grinding Asian Word cup qualifying route.
Travelling to Kuwait, Uzbekistan, Iraq trips are nuts. These nations actually put money in the game and players are fit, tactical hard to break down.
Japan for instance. I’d back them to beat Germany, Spain, Italy more than they would v Jordan, Iran, Iraq, Saudi Arabia. Just the style of football they play.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The issue is hosting tournaments aren’t cheap.
Don’t mind playing it in Qatar this year. They’ve had the World Cup. Save money at least.

Playing in Indonesia wouldn’t work. Infrastructure pretty poor, the country can’t afford it.
Could do China? I mean if Qatar and Saudi Arabia can host, China is fine.

Japan hasn’t done it since 1992. South Korea 1960!

Instead it’s back to some empty extravagant stadium full of men. Nice

The issue is hosting tournaments aren’t cheap.
Don’t mind playing it in Qatar this year. They’ve had the World Cup. Save money at least.

Playing in Indonesia wouldn’t work. Infrastructure pretty poor, the country can’t afford it.
Could do China? I mean if Qatar and Saudi Arabia can host, China is fine.

Japan hasn’t done it since 1992. South Korea 1960!

Instead it’s back to some empty extravagant stadium full of men. Nice

Nah, utterly disgraceful it went to Qatar. Firstly, it was hosted in the same region in 2019 and Qatar previously hosted in 2011.

China won the hosting rights for a July 2023 tournament. China then pulled the plug due to a 0 covid policy for a July 2023 tournament in early 2022.

South Korea stepped up immediately to host in July 2023. There was no bidding process and magically Qatar got it again - pissing off the South Koreans massively. Surprise surprise, a mid season tournament needed due to the shitty ME weather. Totally unnecessary when South Korea, a much better host, was ready to go and were able to host in the agreed upon July 2023 timeframe.

It is utterly disgraceful this tournament ended up in Qatar.

Nah, utterly disgraceful it went to Qatar. Firstly, it was hosted in the same region in 2019 and Qatar previously hosted in 2011.

China won the hosting rights for a July 2023 tournament. China then pulled the plug due to a 0 covid policy for a July 2023 tournament in early 2022.

South Korea stepped up immediately to host in July 2023. There was no bidding process and magically Qatar got it again - pissing off the South Koreans massively. Surprise surprise, a mid season tournament needed due to the shitty ME weather. Totally unnecessary when South Korea, a much better host, was ready to go and were able to host in the agreed upon July 2023 timeframe.

It is utterly disgraceful this tournament ended up in Qatar.
Actually didn’t know that.
Qatar just love to play politics. Any code punishes the federation itself if politicians get involved.
Not to Saudi Arabia and Qatar.

Remember reading about South Korea but I assumed it was outbid.
COVID have complicated so much.

World Cup in Qatar THEN Asian cup in Qatar, then Asian Cup in Saudi THEN World Cup in Saudi Arabia.

Incredible there will be 4 major tournaments in Middle East in our lifetime, let alone 10-15 years apart.

Overkill. Fans and its citizens don’t even care to touch the two countries.

Meanwhile South Korea, England, Japan all haven’t been touched for 30-50 years.

Australia
South Korea
Japan
China
NZ
Thailand
Vietnam
Indonesia

Rumour has it if you mention oil, money or sportswashers 3 times a wild moomba appears.

Damn, the whole thing was there for the taking, those missed goals against South Korea hurt big time. Ah well.

I suspect one day soon the OFC will merge with the AFC, and I suspect the Russian national side might end up joining the AFC too.
Hard to argue against the merging, given the qualification spots available. It makes sense.

HOWEVER, it boils down to the Middle East Oil Fund. There has been opposition before on Australia's acceptance to AFC, and you'd imagine Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Iran will be against unification.

Russia is an interesting one. They won't be accepted in any sports for quite some time. Pretty bad, I know.
Israel and Palestine are still accepted in both UEFA and AFC respectively.

Like seriously, WTF is this? Using the one major tournament we have a chance to win as a “testing ground”?

It’s complete horse manure to even say that - pretty sure the likes of Fornaroli and Gethin Jones aren’t playing for us in 2026 WC.

He should be sacked for his comments in the last 24 hours alone.

I doubt the Russian clubs would want to leave Euro because of the champions league cash. Whichever oligarch that owns Zenit and the Moscow teams wouldn't allow it.
At this stage it looks like they'll never get back in UEFA.
I'm hoping they never do get back with UEFA. Would be better for Australia to have Russia around as another big fish to test themselves against. Big Russian clubs in the AFC Champions League would be cool too.

Back