Socceroos World Cup Qualifiers Socceroos V Bangladesh/Palestine

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Travel warnings based on Australia Smart traveller advice?

I have been contemplating travelling to India and Bangaldesh in the past.................those countries under Smart traveller have risks associated with them. (Not a Green light )

Countries in Asia confederation with no risk id imagine would be: Aus, Korea, Japan, Qatar, UAE, Singapore, Thailand, Malaysia, Hong Kong?

Someone may want to correct me.

Travel warnings based on Australia Smart traveller advice?

I have been contemplating travelling to India and Bangaldesh in the past.................those countries under Smart traveller have risks associated with them. (Not a Green light )

Countries in Asia confederation with no risk id imagine would be: Aus, Korea, Japan, Qatar, UAE, Singapore, Thailand, Malaysia, Hong Kong?

Someone may want to correct me.
The countries with a green light as per smart traveller are:

Cambodia
Malaysia
Taiwan
Mongolia
Bhutan
Vietnam
Laos
Japan
South Korea
Brunei
Singapore
Oman
Qatar

Could rotate the mid & fwd around a bit more, give the younger guys a go for a bit
Maybe against Bangladesh or if qualification for the next phase is guaranteed but the teams like Palestine and Lebanon who are ranked around that 15-20 in Asia could absolutely pull our pants down if we're not on the ball.

Maybe I'm just conservative but in following the Socceroos, I've seen us get done by Kuwait, draw with Thailand, be outplayed on a cow paddock in Kyrgyzstan, lose multiple times to Jordan. Palestine and Lebanon are around the quality of these teams (probably a step below Jordan).

Playing the kids is always popular with the fans because it gives us something new to look at but people who say we could put out a u23s or A-League team and win think all the teams below Australia are essentially like Guam, Bangladesh, Laos etc. When there are actually levels to it.

Maybe against Bangladesh or if qualification for the next phase is guaranteed but the teams like Palestine and Lebanon who are ranked around that 15-20 in Asia could absolutely pull our pants down if we're not on the ball.

Maybe I'm just conservative but in following the Socceroos, I've seen us get done by Kuwait, draw with Thailand, be outplayed on a cow paddock in Kyrgyzstan, lose multiple times to Jordan. Palestine and Lebanon are around the quality of these teams (probably a step below Jordan).

Playing the kids is always popular with the fans because it gives us something new to look at but people who say we could put out a u23s or A-League team and win think all the teams below Australia are essentially like Guam, Bangladesh, Laos etc. When there are actually levels to it.

Good point. Palestine / Lebanon have many professional players amongst their ranks. I believe Lebanon even once drew a game with South Korea.

Away games are difficult in the region even when at a neutral venue like Kuwait.

AFC footballing strength

1. Japan
2. South Korea
3. Australia
4. Iran
5. Saudi Arabia
6. Qatar
7. UAE
8. China
9. Iraq
10. Uzbekistan
11. Kuwait
12. Bahrain
13. Oman
14. North Korea
15. Syria
16. Jordan
17. Thailand
18. Vietnam
19. Indonesia
20. Lebanon
21. Palestine
22. Singapore
23. Malaysia
24. Hong Kong
25. India
26. Myanmar
27. Krgyzstan
28. Tajikistan
29. Phillipines
30. Turkmenistan
31. Cambodia
32. Taiwan
33. Bangladesh
34. Laos
35. Pakistan
36. Afghanistan
37. Yemen
38. Nepal
39. Mongolia
40. Brunei
41. Sri Lanka
42. Maldives
43. Macau
44. Bhutan
45. Guam
46. North Mariana Islands
47. Timor

As you can see after the top 15 it drops off very quickly. I would say Singapore are the lowest ranked team capable of an upset.

For me a 24 nation Asian Cup seems overkill. Far too many weak sides.

AFC footballing strength

1. Japan
2. South Korea
3. Australia
4. Iran
5. Saudi Arabia
6. Qatar
7. UAE
8. China
9. Iraq
10. Uzbekistan
11. Kuwait
12. Bahrain
13. Oman
14. North Korea
15. Syria
16. Jordan
17. Thailand
18. Vietnam
19. Indonesia
20. Lebanon
21. Palestine
22. Singapore
23. Malaysia
24. Hong Kong
25. India
26. Myanmar
27. Krgyzstan
28. Tajikistan
29. Phillipines
30. Turkmenistan
31. Cambodia
32. Taiwan
33. Bangladesh
34. Laos
35. Pakistan
36. Afghanistan
37. Yemen
38. Nepal
39. Mongolia
40. Brunei
41. Sri Lanka
42. Maldives
43. Macau
44. Bhutan
45. Guam
46. North Mariana Islands
47. Timor

As you can see after the top 15 it drops off very quickly. I would say Singapore are the lowest ranked team capable of an upset.

For me a 24 nation Asian Cup seems overkill. Far too many weak sides.
Kuwait are the team that seem far too high in these rankings. They didn't even qualify for the 24 team Asian Cup after losing to Indonesia at home in qualifying. They lost to India at home in World Cup qualifying last week.

Kuwait are the team that seem far too high in these rankings. They didn't even qualify for the 24 team Asian Cup after losing to Indonesia at home in qualifying. They lost to India at home in World Cup qualifying last week.

Wow, didn't realise they were that bad!! I remember them being decent in the past. Losing to India is pretty embarrassing.

Sigh, some of us have seen us too many times have our pants pulled down
Agree with you though, but just need to keep rotating players through qualifiers to continue to develop our depth

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Away games are difficult in the region even when at a neutral venue like Kuwait.
every qualifying round we get these banana peel games where we play away at neutral venues :(

every qualifying round we get these banana peel games where we play away at neutral venues :(

It's still a pain. Kuwait requires multiple flights, permissions etc. The ground was also pretty crap. Neutral venue that would be easy for us would be Singapore.

It's still a pain. Kuwait requires multiple flights, permissions etc. The ground was also pretty crap. Neutral venue that would be easy for us would be Singapore.
Certainly for us, but if I was a neutral, Kuwait would be a better alternative home ground
See it as kinda being similar to our games in London

Its niche as hell but I remember that away game against Kyrgyzstan. I reckon Jedinak scored a free kick that hit a mount of sand/dirt and bobbled over the keeper's arms who had it covered had it not been for the shitty ground.

Its niche as hell but I remember that away game against Kyrgyzstan. I reckon Jedinak scored a free kick that hit a mount of sand/dirt and bobbled over the keeper's arms who had it covered had it not been for the shitty ground.
Yep that happened in like the first 5 minutes, it was nearly a half volley that ended up bouncing over his head.

I can remember the ground was absolutely heaving with fans and the concourse was in front of the stands so you could see everyone moving around the ground from the main TV camera for the game.

At this stage just win and guarantee qualification for the next stage, then worry about playing kids.

I believe if we beat Lebanon and the other game ends in a draw we are qualified after 3 games lol.

Table would look like this

Australia 9 Points
Lebanon 2 Points
Palestine 2 Points
Bangladesh 2 Points

Technically with 3 games left and 9 points up for grabs any of the 3 teams in the group could catch Australia mathematically but because they all play each other again there's no way mathematically we could finish 3rd in the group.

Which goes to show just how ridiculously easy this stage of AFC qualifying is although it still beats playing Oceania nations.

I believe if we beat Lebanon and the other game ends in a draw we are qualified after 3 games lol.

Table would look like this

Australia 9 Points
Lebanon 2 Points
Palestine 2 Points
Bangladesh 2 Points

Technically with 3 games left and 9 points up for grabs any of the 3 teams in the group could catch Australia mathematically but because they all play each other again there's no way mathematically we could finish 3rd in the group.

Which goes to show just how ridiculously easy this stage of AFC qualifying is although it still beats playing Oceania nations.
Hey, who doesn’t forget the highs of playing football juggernauts such as Vanuatu and Fiji?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back