Socceroos Best Socceroos Team?

Remove this Banner Ad

PowerfulPies2023

Club Legend
Oct 5, 2023
AFL Club
Collingwood
Surely it's that great 06 side led with the likes of Bresh, Hazza, Cahill, Grella, Neil, Aloisi, Moore, Chippers, Skoko and imo an overrated Mark Viduka. Let's not forget Schwarzer. I can't remember if Vidmar was in the squad? Many didn't rate King Culina they reckon he was a pass the ball backwards and sideways type of guy. Thoughts? What if Kewell played against Italy? I reckon we could have got them. They gave us one hell of a ride getting to the World Cup on pens vs Uruguay and those pre-world cup friendlies against Greece, Holland and Liechenstein. The Japan game, the come back. The buzz for Brazil. The Cro-down with Croatia and of course the drama and disapointment of the Italy game. It only just dawned on me that we got to the 2018 WCup by getting past Syria on pens then we beat Honduras obviously and we got there again on pens vs Peru in 2022. We've had some good success from the spot. Did we lose to Canada in qualifying for 1990 via a shootout?

2010 was one that got away imo Pim Verbeek that half baked potato was a pathetic Manager more so than Pittman in the ruck and we played with no striker vs Germany. Stupid red by Hazza which was a red for hand ball on the line against Ghana when we had the lead. Just give the ******* goal and stay on the field you flog. Beat Serbia 2-1. Went out on goal difference. 2014 was a gallant effort and they did us proud in those first two games. Hoe about Tim Cahill's goal vs Holland? Lecki should have gave us a two goal cushion in that one. 2018 was heroic vs France, good against the Danes but just outclassed vs Peru. Nothing to criticise in that one. I'm not even sure if that warranted a pen vs France with that Griezman challenge? We've really pushed The World champions or eventual world champions to the limit each time. 2022 was fantastic and once again somewhat unexpected I reckon we played very, very well.

2006 for me though for the nostalgia but also the quality of football and the quality we had on the park. Amazing names and fantastic times.

View attachment 1888539

You could make a case for this team IMO. Failed to qualify in 2002 and doesn't have Cahill but top end players like Kewell, Viduka and Moore were a shitload better in 2002. They were all basically crocks by the time of the 06 WC.

That's the thing

If Australia on Football Manager had what clubs do in the General Info section most of that squad would be considered Legends, the rest Icons, maybe one or two Favoured Personnel...

2006. The new young generation now though is the best we've ever had for quite some time. I predict our team will be doing fantastic things in 4-5 years time.

People talk about the media being a hindrance to the game in Australia...

Garang Kuol scores a hatrick in the A league, might be on the end of a News sports report.

Scores a hatrick for Newcastle, first second or third sport news story

Farina getting sacked was the best thing for us.

No way we achieve that or perhaps even get to the world cup without Hiddink. * he was a god send.

How does everyone reckon this team would of gone at France 98 ?

View attachment 1891383
Interesting indeed mate. How on earth did we blow that 2 goal lead at home to Iran? Had we got through we would have played Yugoslavia first wbo beat Iran by a goal to nil. Not sure if it was a deflected free or if it went in directly.
Mihajlović
13px-Soccerball_shade.svg.png
73'

A solid team who led Germany 2-0 and could have had Holland in the 2nd round if not for a missed spot kick then lost at the death. We could have beaten them with a bit of luck but I think a more likely result would be a draw. We had some good results in the confed cup the year before besides the final.

Germany we lose. Bierhoff and Klinsman had that airiel dominance and could score in a flash, which they did.

USA game we drew with them in a friendly late that year I believe but at worst a draw, maybe a win. Iran beat them, every game is different but I'd say we win.

I feel we miss out by a point and you have to give Yugoslavia the benefit of the doubt. They got the results at that World Cup where as we bottled it to even get there.

That 97 game still haunts me. How good would it have been had we got to France 98.

2005 and 06 made up for it. But still a golden chance gone begging.

Denmark - Draw
France - Draw
Senegal - win

They wouldn't have liked our style. Wouldn't have suited them. Then again Uruguay are a blood and guts team and had to come back from 3-0 down to draw 3-3.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back