Opinion Commentary & Media VII

Remove this Banner Ad

The fact is Lmac has not got anywhere near his 2020 form probably since the first game against Hawthorn in 2022?

That was more than two years ago. He's cooked.

Jy hasn't been the same footballer after yet another concussion. He's fumbling, turning the ball over and is unable to proactively contribute to the team. He's in jeopardy of losing a chunk of his footy career.

This is our predicament and I haven't even mentioned the other senior players with their own issues.

The club put itself into this mess when it pissed off the best players it had for almost two decades and decided to replace them with no one. Rudderless leadership will lead to rudderless on-field performance.

We can blame the compromised drafts, blame the development and blame Brad Scott, but the issue with this club was it never took the situation with the footy department seriously enough and let it get out of control on a catastrophic scale (more than once mind you).

The club should be ashamed of what it has done to itself, and it's supporters. I feel for Clarko and his team.

Not sure how to really put it but the heat on the club isn't going to change much.

Yeah, we can drop Jy and Lmac or whatever but the fact that they are playing at such low confidence means we are going to be in more pain. The issue with our team is not just the co-captains, its just that no one from our senior group wants to lead this club out of this mess and put an end to the endless embarrassment.

The only players that want to make change are Wardlaw and Sheezel. Our co-captains simply don't care. They are not leadership material. Would Clarko's job be easier if we had just 5 of the oldest players from another team and replace our oldest 5? 100%. It would make a huge difference.

The issue is personnel, and it starts at the top. The team cannot get out of this mess until the young guys get more exposure and get used to the AFL system. I can't stress how crucial it is to understand there isn't a way out of this.
Mate, I'm sure you're not an idiot but your insistence that Jy and Luke "simply don't care" makes you look like a lot like one. Everything else you said, fine, have at it. But that one phrase really lets you down and undermines your entire post.

Mate, I'm sure you're not an idiot but your insistence that Jy and Luke "simply don't care" makes you look like a lot like one. Everything else you said, fine, have at it. But that one phrase really lets you down and undermines your entire post.
I'm 100% being extremely harsh and possibly getting too personal.

But the critical situation with the footy team starts at the top and I get that perhaps they are still trying, but they are still trying because they have to not because it's ingrained in their blood. The team needs a leadership core that is unwiltering in it's desire. Mate, we are kidding ourselves if they are actively trying to improve their game and perhaps enforce standards. It's not happening and this has been the case for a while now.

Give the keys over to Sheezel and whatever but this isn't going to change much. The issue stems from the fact we don't have a leadership group that can fall back on something to steady the ship. It's not healthy. We have no other avenues to stop this rot.

So it is what it is but I don't see how this turns around. Our senior players have fallen into a trap where they are actively looking for ways to feel sorry for themselves. This isn't just footy anymore, it's mental health sorta stuff now.

Last edited:
This is why it is very important to keep Sonja in the top job. Don’t get me wrong I think she is the best person for the job regardless of sex.

But the AFL and the rest of the league would prefer us gone and have 18 teams.

Sonja’s skill set around public speaking, involvement with government, charity and frankly the fact that she is a women would make the AFL vs her and North Melbourne an absolute PR disaster for them.

I feel much safer with her in charge and she is 11110% stay in Melb.

Imagine we still had Buckley in charge?

FWIW, I think the young players know they are the key to getting out of this mess but it's not going to happen as easily as we would hope.

It's just not going to happen.

There was also the weird leaks around when we played contract shenanigans with a few club favourites. The strange "it's Rama's fault" story that came after we decided to pull contract offers from BBB and put him up for trade, or the finally offering Taz two years after Richmond did, with it then being framed as him abandoning us.

If you're on the list and you see that stuff you just go 👀
Amateur hour. How I suspect Mr Bean would manage a professional sports club.

“What do they stand for?”, claims the Broady boy who’s lived in Toorak for 30 years.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
That's also the sort of facile crap that got Eddie McGuire laughed out of the executive suite at Channel Nine in Sydney after that nepo simp Jamie Packer foolishly handed him the top job.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We can’t make the mistake of thinking the AFL want to reduce the teams. They are all about expanding.

It’s also silly for anyone bringing up the uneven numbers in relation to byes. The byes are here to stay at the players association insistence.

The only reason to ever review a teams status in the league is, like it always has been, an irreversible financial drain.

DEVELOPMENT AND COACHING

They also lost gun midfield coach Jordan Russell, who some say was Noble’s whipping boy.
Co-captain Jy Simpkin praised Russell as the best assistant he has had on the eve of the season.
“I was lucky enough to win two best-and-fairests and he no doubt helped me with a lot of that,” Simpkin said.
“I’ve had a couple different line coaches and the reason why I loved ‘Russ’ so much was because after games and on weekends if he could tell I was flat or wasn’t my normal self, he would always reach out to make sure I was doing OK.”
Russell chose to reunite with Carlton senior assistant Ash Hansen – who he worked with at the Bulldogs – and is in charge of the Blues’ firing forward line this year.

The one bloke we employed who was doing his job and we still failed to keep him.
But I am so happy we have Patchy the hard as nails shinboner. He will do the job for us ay!

Last edited:
This is one question I’ve always wanted to know the answer to. What is our training standards like compared to the best teams? I wouldn’t have a clue. We now have the answer which isn’t overly surprising I suppose given our output in games but nonetheless it’s freaking disappointing ! Surely the coaches know it’s not up to scratch so what are they doing about it??

If there’s one question I have over Clarko it’s been does he now second guess himself in terms of his ruthlessness given what happened at Hawthorn and today’s environment.

I recall JHF saying the difference in training was stark at PA and also Ben’s recent comments. People can say what they like about those 2 but there’s obviously some truth to it.

It’s probably why we don’t get the best out of players who come from other teams, they arrive at North and think they’re on easy street ie freaking holiday!

Not good enough as a club.
The training standard issues go further back. I first heard of large differences in application on the track around the time we traded a ruckman down the highway.

Of particular note was the difference in players driving the standards and accountability themselves. This stems from, you guessed it, strong leaders....

Sent from my SM-G781B using BigFooty.com mobile app

We can’t make the mistake of thinking the AFL want to reduce the teams. They are all about expanding.

It’s also silly for anyone bringing up the uneven numbers in relation to byes. The byes are here to stay at the players association insistence.

The only reason to ever review a teams status in the league is, like it always has been, an irreversible financial drain.

Good point. Also, consider this is the same organisation collectively fellating itself over the success of Round Zero and Reacha Round, one of which creates more byes and an uneven number of games played. A 19th team is simply a step closer to 20 teams and an extra weekly game to sell in media rights deals. It's all about the Benjamins.

Could it actually happen, could the AFL make us fold or forcibly take our licence away?

How far off are we from winning? This time next year?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

The AFL can't fold a club - they only have the ability to take licences away.

Given that we've managed to turn profits while other Vic clubs actually managed to consume more AFL distribution over the last 15 years, the AFL has no real grounds to do so. Even so, AFL distribution isn't charity from the AFL; clubs earn the AFL that money from our games that they sell to broadcasters.

I knew the pile on would come from the usual suspects if we started the season poorly, but I didn’t expect our right to exist to come up as a talking point.

Its a full scale assault of all levels of the Club at the moment and if we don’t respond on field it’s only going to get worse.

Saints, Suns and Dons next 3 games, the boys need to show something to slow down the media. They are in hyena mode.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back