Player Watch #9: Luke Davies-Uniacke [Part II] - [Herald Sun] LDU has parked contract talks with the club & is expected to command offers of more than $1m a season

Remove this Banner Ad

A scenario where Luke insists on entering FA and we agree to trade him for multiple 1st rounders to rebalance the list via trades isn't out of the question imo.

The club would prefer to retain him but he's in one of the few areas we have quantity (I ain't calling it depth) and could be used to get a quality player of need.

Imagine this (far fetched because it requires the GWS player to bail and saints would need to address 1st rounder use rules but captures the gist):

LDU to St Kilda
St Kilda 2024 R1, 2025 R1 to GWS
Sam Taylor to North Melbourne

Suddenly LDU doesn't look as indispensable..

All this would achieve would be ruin a good player in Taylor who would be on anti depression medication in year two, while we’d continue to lose games.

There is something very wrong with the club and bringing in 2-3 players (even gun players) wouldn’t even make a dent in this shitshow

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Interesting takes guys.

If you give me:

LDU is leaving either way for

Scenario A - trade LDU as pre-agent for equivalent talent in position of need, control our destiny

Or

Scenario B - wait for FA compensation

I'm seriously considering A.

Thought I was clear Taylor was a far fetched example. Sub in whatever player or combo suits.

We turned Logue's head in 2022 so the task isn't as impossible as it appears.

Interesting takes guys.

If you give me:

Scenario A - trade LDU as pre-agent for equivalent talent in position of need, control our destiny

Or

Thought I was clear Taylor was a far fetched example. Sub in whatever player or combo suits.

Agree - LDU is one of those players where the FA comp is not enough - even pick 2 - compared to his worth to us.

The only way to make it work for us is to trade with the club he wants to go to - and a trade for an LDU type player will be 2 picks in the top 6 (maybe over 2 years) plus a mature player. IF LDU did want out then a trade at the end of this year is the way to go - we still hold some cards at the end of this year - we hold none at the end of the following year.

We can’t afford to lose him but could you honestly blame him if he left? He needs help and he’s not getting it. No midfielder could possibly play to their best while sitting at the feet of Xerri….
This is delusional nonsense. This year Xerri averages three less hit outs to advantage a game than Gawn. So if we had Max, Luke would possibly receive one extra hitout to his advantage every week. It would make stuff all difference.

Luke is the senior midfielder. He should be the one helping everyone else, not the other way around.

The ball was run out of our forward line so *en easily and he was one of the reasons...

That's the fist game I've seen since before my youngest kid was born and it was pretty poor.

Alot of campaigners just don't chase at all. I get what some of youse are whinging about now. Paul Curtis is a pretty shithouse runner but at least he tries unlike some of the better runners we have that just don't.

Adelaide were running thru the middle in numbers with no one doing anything about it. Honestly you don't see it properly on tv but as a result I just assumed it was players were gassed and unfit not that lazy. Stevens, Powell and even Scott (maybe, he did alot of running as well so maybe I'm being unfair,), they all look similar but it was all of them at one point, and they were just standing there as Adelaide players waltzed out of the backline with no one going with them or even trying. It was shithouse. They weren't the only ones tho. Adelaide were sitting off us too, waiting for a skill error or turnover about 30m out from goal and just set up for it. Curtis and Drury were the only players who worked hard from the forward line to stop Adelaide's run. Neither of them are as fast as some other players who didn't work hard.

It'd be almost worth putting Sheezel forward and telling him to play like he's in defense and its Adelaide's (or anyone we're playing lol) forward line. That's where we need to defend from. And we need someone else creative down there. Curtis is ok but it was a bit sad otherwise. Would have liked to have seen Eddie Ford's game if he'd played. Curtis was okay in the middle too. Someone like Jed Anderson would be really handy in the middle right now just as a bit of muscle.
Glad you say drury having a dip because on the telecast he looked to be working pretty hard imo.

This is delusional nonsense. This year Xerri averages three less hit outs to advantage a game than Gawn. So if we had Max, Luke would possibly receive one extra hitout to his advantage every week. It would make stuff all difference.

Luke is the senior midfielder. He should be the one helping everyone else, not the other way around.
No you're right. Xerri is better than Gawn. In fact Xerri owns Gawn.

If I had to choose one of Gawn or Xerri to ruck to LDU, I would choose the X-man. And then stab myself in the eyeballs.

No you're right. Xerri is better than Gawn. In fact Xerri owns Gawn.

If I had to choose one of Gawn or Xerri to ruck to LDU, I would choose the X-man. And then stab myself in the eyeballs.
RUOK?

What is this crazy deflection? Nobody is saying Xerri is better than Gawn. You want a scapegoat to explain why your favourite player is struggling, I get it. But blaming poor performances from Luke on X is nuts.

That's actually a very insightful point. We've witnessed brilliant mids like Lachie Neale excel in clearances even while their own ruckman was losing the hitouts. LDU should be able to get his hands on the ball whether or not Xerri is giving him silver service.

I think the analysis from Rick18 a couple of weeks ago on midfield positioning in the square was very illuminating. You can criticise the tapwork of X, but the group as a whole is misfiring in the ease in which the opposition are clearing the ball. It's not all on Luke, it's not all on X, it's on positioning and establishing a working balance.

We're in desperate need of 3 or 4 quality small forwards, ones who chase arse and tackle all day.
the mix we've got at the moment isn't working and hasn't worked for close to a decade.
Its on the club as much as anything.
Need 2 smalls and 2 talls up forward.

I have NFI how we are to get the balance right.

HFs who are either out or on the precipice:

Taylor, Thomas, Stephenson, Zurhaar*

HFs who are played in different -possibly inferior - positions because we have too many HFs:

George, Fisher, Sheezel, Lazzaro, Drury, Ford

Players we play at HF because we have too many inside midfielders:

Simpkin, Powell, Greenwood

Capable HFs: Curtis

Unproven/Young HFs: Duursma, Harvey

Who the f*ck did this??! Like wtf can you call this mess??

I think the analysis from Rick18 a couple of weeks ago on midfield positioning in the square was very illuminating. You can criticise the tapwork of X, but the group as a whole is misfiring in the ease in which the opposition are clearing the ball. It's not all on Luke, it's not all on X, it's on positioning and establishing a working balance.
I'm not sure we have had the best mix of players in there or that they are being coached well. Especially on how to handle things like Luke being regularly scragged at stoppages. We should be able to use this to our advantage but never seem to.

We started the year with LDU, Powell and Wardlaw at most stoppages, presumably to build some chemistry, it didn't work well. It was noticeable on the weekend how much better we looked when Curtis went in there. Small sample size I know, but I think we should be using him and Cam much more.

I'm not sure we have had the best mix of players in there or that they are being coached well. Especially on how to handle things like Luke being regularly scragged at stoppages. We should be able to use this to our advantage but never seem to.
Some defensive blocking occasionally would help him a lot, without a doubt, but the ability to do that comes down to positioning too. Until we get better at that, we probably aren't giving him the best opportunity to show his true ability.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We started the year with LDU, Powell and Wardlaw at most stoppages, presumably to build some chemistry, it didn't work well. It was noticeable on the weekend how much better we looked when Curtis went in there. Small sample size I know, but I think we should be using him and Cam much more.
Reckon Clarko is a very hard head and we will continue to see an occasional left field move like PC but we will persist with an anointed core until it comes good. Probably more minutes for Sheez, but nothing too radical until the likes of Goater and Bergman become fixtures down back.

Reckon Clarko is a very hard head and we will continue to see an occasional left field move like PC but we will persist with an anointed core until it comes good. Probably more minutes for Sheez, but nothing too radical until the likes of Goater and Bergman become fixtures down back.
You are probably right on Clarko, he is a stubborn prick, but I don't like it.

You are probably right on Clarko, he is a stubborn prick, but I don't like it.
Yeah I get where you're coming from. Sometimes your greatest strength can be your greatest weakness and vice versa.

Interesting takes guys.

If you give me:

Or

Understand what your saying, but LDU is a hole we cant fill. He's just a different player to mids we have
For that very reason he stays and hope we're a hell of a lot more competitive in 25.
Ill say again, if i were LDU id want to stay. He's first year elsewhere would be 2026 and we'll be vastly better then with plenty of upside still. While other teams start to come off a bit and look for youth with Tassie coming just around the corner.

I’m sick of people comparing the two, one is a b&f winning premiership captain, the other hasn’t been able to get on the park for a whole season yet just got a four year deal thrown at him. Last weeks game Max Gawn had Petracca, Oliver and Viney at his feet to crumb the ball. Xerri had LDU, Wardlaw and Phillips.

I’m not sure how many games you’ve watched this year but blind Freddy can see LDU (our senior mid) getting man handled at every CBA because he’s playing a guessing game to know where the ball is going to end up after Xerri’s disposal. Xerri is having a good year but where our midfield is at we need someone who can tap to any sort of advantage to give our mids a chance to clear the ball

There was a cracker in the 3rd or 4th quarter in Hobart where LDU was the only mid on one side f the stoppage and X only had to paddle it to him and he was off to the races. X drags the ball back in and gets done htb...

Synergy is a big problem at the moment.

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Interesting takes guys.

If you give me:

Or

Honestly it’s a decision if executed that could change the club.

LDU is a commodity that we won’t get the best of if his mind is set on leaving.

Just to clarify, hitout to advantage isn’t the only stat to look at with respect to Xerri’s influence or lack of.

What about hitouts to advantage the opposing ruckman is getting? Vs the neutral ones where it’s in dispute but at least in the open as opposed to in congestion? Vs the ones Xerri himself clears and butchers but doesn’t give the midfield a chance to clear it decisively?

Just to clarify, hitout to advantage isn’t the only stat to look at with respect to Xerri’s influence or lack of.

What about hitouts to advantage the opposing ruckman is getting? Vs the neutral ones where it’s in dispute but at least in the open as opposed to in congestion? Vs the ones Xerri himself clears and butchers but doesn’t give the midfield a chance to clear it decisively?

It is definitely more complicated. But the point I was making was that the difference in these stats between an elite ruck like Gawn and an average one like Xerri isn't sufficient to lay the blame for our midfield failures at X's feet. Hitouts really aren't that important in today's game, good midfields can dominate clearances despite losing them, though X is holding his own.

Otherwise, I'm not sure why you would want the ball in the open and in dispute, this is where we are getting destroyed. We either want a decisive hitout to advantage or X to grab it or hit it to his feet.

I’m sick of people comparing the two, one is a b&f winning premiership captain, the other hasn’t been able to get on the park for a whole season yet just got a four year deal thrown at him. Last weeks game Max Gawn had Petracca, Oliver and Viney at his feet to crumb the ball. Xerri had LDU, Wardlaw and Phillips.

I’m not sure how many games you’ve watched this year but blind Freddy can see LDU (our senior mid) getting man handled at every CBA because he’s playing a guessing game to know where the ball is going to end up after Xerri’s disposal. Xerri is having a good year but where our midfield is at we need someone who can tap to any sort of advantage to give our mids a chance to clear the ball

Spent the summer raising the same points and where we are in the middle. Got yelled down numerous times and gave up. X has presence but is yet to deliver the tap presents
Boom tish play on

Remove this Banner Ad

Back