Review Good bad ugly vs Port Adelaide R8 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Watching at the game I saw him in the middle of 3 of them and thought "Bugger, he's toast here." Then just waltzes out like it's a training run. Not sure if elite from him, putrid from the Power, or both.

Its a good morning, my partner commented that he finally gets to see a team he supports win a trophy (Spurs fan - and just starting to get into AFL).

But the icing on the cake has been watching my salty Port supporting family all over social media this morning, including one who has started "beef" on an AFL article and then tried to deny that she is a (paid up member, goes to every game) Port supporter and claim she supports another team!

Half tempted to respond to her comments with a photo of her at their last home game asking when she decided to switch clubs.
Probably about 9:30pm last night.

What is with people praising Ken's presser, and taking the blame for the decision to play Rozee?

'Oh, Ken is so brave, he's taking responsibility.'

Every man and his dog knew that Rozee shouldn't play. Everyone knew he'd be a liability and have a risk of injuring his hamstring further.

'I saw him running and kicking the ball far!'

Ah yes, that should be enough to allow him to play despite a 'nick' in the hamstring, and a high pressure night Showdown match in cool weather after a six day break.

It's not brave. It is trying to get ahead of criticism.

If anything, the decision to play him was negligent, and saying he 'owns the decision' after the match should not let him off the hook.

What is with people praising Ken's presser, and taking the blame for the decision to play Rozee?

'Oh, Ken is so brave, he's taking responsibility.'

Every man and his dog knew that Rozee shouldn't play. Everyone knew he'd be a liability and have a risk of injuring his hamstring further.

'I saw him running and kicking the ball far!'

Ah yes, that should be enough to allow him to play despite a 'nick' in the hamstring, and a high pressure night Showdown match in cool weather after a six day break.

It's not brave. It is trying to get ahead of criticism.

If anything, the decision to play him was negligent, and saying he 'owns the decision' after the match should not let him off the hook.
Speak for yourself. I am all in favour of anything that keeps the heat off Ken Hinkley. I like him right where he is.

Is this a serious question?

Subs are generally brought on to provide fresh legs. Smith, although down on form, is an experienced player able to impact the game in an offensive and defensive manner, depending on game situation.

Not using that grey matter, GreyCrow

Came on fresh for 2 disposals from 26% TOG, so multiply it by 3 for a full game. And that’s him coming on fresh is it? And wasn’t his sole kick a point kick out? Great contribution, his and yours.

Bad: Watching the replay the commentary was quite poor. Whether it is BT's obvious early onset Dementia or the other commentators completely misunderstanding goal celebrations, glad I was at the game instead of at home.

I watch it on mute.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watching at the game I saw him in the middle of 3 of them and thought "Bugger, he's toast here." Then just waltzes out like it's a training run. Not sure if elite from him, putrid from the Power, or both.

Moved the Power players like a pile of paper 🤣🤣

Speak for yourself. I am all in favour of anything that keeps the heat off Ken Hinkley. I like him right where he is.

Where was the bottle of water or can of Diet Coke last night?
Oh that's right Josh was coaching.

Sholl's chase downs where he got nowhere near his opponent and didn't prevent an effective disposal would have been recorded as pressure acts. Gives some indication that not all pressure acts are equal. So saying X player had Y pressure acts is some pretty piss poor analysis without drilling down into the impact on the contest or subsequent contests.

That said it is good to see a player chase and show endeavor, but what is better is when those acts are actually effective.

Just using Sholl as an example, thought he was alright, did some good things including that goal from the pocket. Not a fan though.

Bad: Watching the replay the commentary was quite poor. Whether it is BT's obvious early onset Dementia or the other commentators completely misunderstanding goal celebrations, glad I was at the game instead of at home.
Can't be any worse than last week's game when if you just listened to the commentary, you'd think North were just about to overrun us.

Who in the league can do that?
Walker obviously, Fog possibly.
Can’t think of many others that can kick around 50m on their non preferred.

Having taken off from a standing start

Obviously wish he'd kicked it, but was very encouraged by it. One of the signs that Fog might have his confidence back. When he believes he's one of the best players on the field, he is.

Good:
Fogarty finally looking like he should, 9 (4 contested) Marks, 2 Goals and worked further up the ground.

Not sure why but I just love Nankervis, he has coolness and skill in heavy traffic.

Worrell Butts and Keane all with intercept Marks, they have been great all year and one of our strengths ironically. You feel they can handle any forward line at the moment.

Himmelberg, Gollant or Burgess. I don't know, Berg gets to those down the line contests a bit better I feel. Thilthorpe can't come back quick enough!

Bad:
We had a decent night of umpiring, apart from that JHF Push in the back. Watch out next Sunday when every Brisbane player throws their arms out and acts like they have been shot while diving to the ground after a slight bump on the arm.

Wasn't really a night for Cook, needs to find a way to be more involved, why did Curtin get the chop instead of him?

Ugly:
How this Port side beat Essendon by 12 goals is beyond me.
Our midfield got well beaten around the ground in the first half, watching Butters, Houston and JHF just run out of contests is annoying but they kicked it to Dixon who basically gave away free's because he is absolutely rubbish.

Honestly I dont think we will make finals from here unless we beat Brisbane and Collingwood in the next 2 weeks. We have Sydney twice, Essendon away, GWS at home, Geelong away and Brisbane away to come.

Oh dear.... not sure anyone has caught this yet, tempted to let the Port board know...

I've spotted Rozee trying to be subtle and stretch the hammy out less than 5 mins into the first Q.

He then feels his hammy, so you can bet he's aware of it THAT early into the game...

Footage is at 7.45 on the full replay

1714704445046.png

I found it interesting both Dawson and Worrell bounced the ball with their right hand, also within seconds of each other 😄

Remove this Banner Ad

Back