General Sport Discussion (non-AFL)

Remove this Banner Ad

Observation I've found:

In the past 10 years (2007-16) every NRL team has made the prelim final at least once. In the AFL us, Carlton, Essendon, Gold Coast, Melbourne and Richmond have not made it to the prelim (so only two thirds of the comp had) in that period.

Since 2003 the NRL had 10 different teams win the premiership (Panthers, Bulldogs, Wests Tigers, Broncos, Manly, Dragons, Storm, Roosters, Rabbitohs and Cowboys). The AFL has only 7 different premiers since 2001 (us, Port, Swans, Eagles, Cats, Hawks and the scum), but more alarmingly only 4 different premiers since 2007 (Cats, Hawks, scum and Swans)

This re-inforces my belief that the draft doesn't create an equal comp (look at the NBA as an example). What is important for an even comp is a salary cap.

Some pretty incredible stats.

Not a fan of baseball, however, I just saw that a professional MLB player named Jose Fernandez died today aged 24 in a boating accident. Does anyone follow the sport? Sad news.

Check out his life story - it was already amazing. Was poised to be one of the all time greats if he continued on his career trajectory.

Check out his life story - it was already amazing. Was poised to be one of the all time greats if he continued on his career trajectory.

Generational talent.

Not a fan of baseball, however, I just saw that a professional MLB player named Jose Fernandez died today aged 24 in a boating accident. Does anyone follow the sport? Sad news.

A lot of the Miami reporters didn't actually go to the Dolphins game today, they were shocked by his death. Apparently he was a really well liked player and person by/in the media.

I don't follow the MLB much at all but get a bit of cross-over and read some stuff incidentally through following the Dolphins.

Dude was a phenomenal pitcher, won Rookie of the Year AND came 3rd in Cy Young voting which is incredible, then become the youngest starting day pitcher in about 3 decades in his 2nd season. He was the face of the franchise in Miami and is a huge loss, not only as an athlete but as a human. His family defected from Cuba 3 times, being caught the first 2 times and arrested. At one point when they were on an overcrowded boat getting out of Cuba when he saw a lady get washed overboard and without hesitation he jumped in to save her, only realising it was actually his own mother when he grabbed her.
If you've got time watch the video of him being reunited with his grandma after so long without seeing her, it's heart-wrenching.

Observation I've found:

In the past 10 years (2007-16) every NRL team has made the prelim final at least once. In the AFL us, Carlton, Essendon, Gold Coast, Melbourne and Richmond have not made it to the prelim (so only two thirds of the comp had) in that period.

Since 2003 the NRL had 10 different teams win the premiership (Panthers, Bulldogs, Wests Tigers, Broncos, Manly, Dragons, Storm, Roosters, Rabbitohs and Cowboys). The AFL has only 7 different premiers since 2001 (us, Port, Swans, Eagles, Cats, Hawks and the scum), but more alarmingly only 4 different premiers since 2007 (Cats, Hawks, scum and Swans)

This re-inforces my belief that the draft doesn't create an equal comp (look at the NBA as an example). What is important for an even comp is a salary cap.

Good stats. One more I'd add is that since the end of the Super League in 1997 only three teams have made the NRL grand final two or more years in a row. The Roosters did it in 2002-2004 and Manly did it 2007/08. The Storm did it 2006-2009 but they were later found to have breached the salary cap in a couple of those seasons. Apart from that every season has seen two different teams in the GF. In the same period there has only been four AFL grand finals where neither of the two teams played in the previous year's GF. It's definite strength of NRL and a weakness of AFL.

Edit, added Manly after forgot them in initial post.

What are the cowboys going to do TheBrownDog keep Dak or bring back Romo. Good place to be in but tough none the less. I tend to think a Romo led offence has a higher ceiling as long as he's 100% fit (or as close to his version of 100% fit) but its hard to shake up an offense that is working well for you.

What are the cowboys going to do TheBrownDog keep Dak or bring back Romo. Good place to be in but tough none the less. I tend to think a Romo led offence has a higher ceiling as long as he's 100% fit (or as close to his version of 100% fit) but its hard to shake up an offense that is working well for you.

Not sure it will matter as long as Elliot keeps developing. Was super pissed when Dallas drafted him.

Romo for mine. We've been running a playbook that suits Prescott's limitations but Romo is capable of so much more.

Poor Tony if he has a bad game though. Will be on a hiding to nothing. Prescott already at messiah levels with some people.

Loving our season though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Danny Green v Anthony Mundine at the adelaide oval, surely no one would pay good money to see this blatant retirement fund grab.

i used to be a fan of boxing back in my younger days when there weren't 5 or 6 different bodies giving our "world champion" belts.

oh for the days of- Ali, Frazier, Cervantes, Foreman, Hagler, Hearns, Duran, sugar Ray Leonard, Monzon. also loved Anthonys father Tony Mundine and Hector Thompson who used to fight at the old festival hall in brisbane.

boxing these days is a joke, not much better than the old days of Mario Milano/Killer Kowalski/Andre the giant etc. and world championship wrestling.

I still enjoy the boxing much more than MMA. Heavyweight boxing is definitely a joke though, it's all freak show giants now instead of speed, skill and footwork.

Between watching the surprisingly interesting live updates on the MLB website and listening to the first Test on radio I haven't done a bit of work for many hours now...

Imagine if you had foxtel go on your computer and an optus account linked to your cricket australia login therefore could watch both at your desk. Hypothetically speaking of course.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back