List Mgmt. 2016 National Draft - Rookie Draft Monday 28th

Remove this Banner Ad

I just had a look at Tim English after reading a good phantom draft write up on him. I might have to consider doing a complete 180 on him.

He's not a great tap ruck, not a great mark above his head, but by god has he got clean hands below his knees and a great kick on him, athletic as well. I heard a good comparison is that he is a cross between Tom Nicholls & Mark Bliclavs. Plays like a wing man / HBF

Still not a great list fit for us but he is a freak. I can see if we got SPS at 6, Freo would be keen for English and we could most likely get Brodie/Taranto at 8.

EDIT: Also Logue is a WA boy and also fills a need for Freo as a key defender with Zac Dawson on his last legs

EDIT 2: Just watched the highlights of Brodie, Taranto or Scrimshaw - if we get SPS at #6 I will be happy with any of these 3 and hopefully we will be in a position to choose from 2 of these kids

Last edited:

I just had a look at Tim English after reading a good phantom draft write up on him. I might have to consider doing a complete 180 on him.

He's not a great tap ruck, not a great mark above his head, but by god has he got clean hands below his knees and a great kick on him, athletic as well. I heard a good comparison is that he is a cross between Tom Nicholls & Mark Bliclavs. Plays like a wing man / HBF

Still not a great list fit for us but he is a freak. I can see if we got SPS at 6, Freo would be keen for English and we could most likely get Brodie/Taranto at 8.

EDIT: Also Logue is a WA boy and also fills a need for Freo as a key defender with Zac Dawson on his last legs

EDIT 2: Just watched the highlights of Brodie, Taranto or Scrimshaw - if we get SPS at #6 I will be happy with any of these 3 and hopefully we will be in a position to choose from 2 of these kids

English kind of reminds me of Zac Smith, amazing below the knees for a big guy but not much else going on. Hopefully he doesn't do the Zac Smith show brilliance every so often then look average the rest of the time.

Would much prefer an SPS on his feet than an English on his knees. SPS at 6, If Clayton is in normal form we'll probably take him at 4 should Jack not get bid on earlier. Just hoping Freo take English and Brisbane / Carlton don't bid on Jack to give us a free hit at Taranto or Brodie.

I would think Brooksby & Cameron would both be gone, as they're out of contract.

Those with 1 year left on contract include Grant, Malceski, Hallahan, Schade, Shaw, Willis, Matera & Rischitelli. Willis would probably be the cheapest to pay out. Hallahan hasn't done much yet, but could be ok if he gets a good run with injury & some fit outside runners to feed the ball out to. Malceski & Rischitelli probably haven't got many games left in them. Grant & Schade haven't done much with the chances they've been given. Shaw & Matera were both mentioned mid-year as being available, if we were offered a suitable trade. I don't reckon Lemmens has shown much yet either, but he has 2 years to run on his contract, so should be safe.

It will be an interesting decision, but I'd say Grant, Schade & Willis would be the most likely to be paid out. Malceski is also an option, if he doesn't think he can play a full season.

I would think Brooksby & Cameron would both be gone, as they're out of contract.

Those with 1 year left on contract include Grant, Malceski, Hallahan, Schade, Shaw, Willis, Matera & Rischitelli. Willis would probably be the cheapest to pay out. Hallahan hasn't done much yet, but could be ok if he gets a good run with injury & some fit outside runners to feed the ball out to. Malceski & Rischitelli probably haven't got many games left in them. Grant & Schade haven't done much with the chances they've been given. Shaw & Matera were both mentioned mid-year as being available, if we were offered a suitable trade. I don't reckon Lemmens has shown much yet either, but he has 2 years to run on his contract, so should be safe.

It will be an interesting decision, but I'd say Grant, Schade & Willis would be the most likely to be paid out. Malceski is also an option, if he doesn't think he can play a full season.

Willis only had 1 year whereas Schade has had 4 years and Grant has had 10 years in the system.

Willis should get a chance to prove himself this year

No way Willis gets cut already, I'd be surprised if that's even legal! Draftees must get there 2 years to prove themselves. Also, Willis could be a star, you don't ditch someone like that after one year in the system. Schade and Grant in particular have had a gazillion chances and you know that they aren't getting any better.... How long do you give Schade to be able to bench press 60Kgs.... Sheesh!!!
Thanks Fat Pizza, that post woke me up!!

Any of those kids before SPS. We already have enough wiry, outside midfielders. Would be fine taking him at 10 if he's there, but we need to pick based on needs in the draft this year and he's certainly not the sort of player we're lacking.

No way Willis gets cut already, I'd be surprised if that's even legal! Draftees must get there 2 years to prove themselves. Also, Willis could be a star, you don't ditch someone like that after one year in the system. Schade and Grant in particular have had a gazillion chances and you know that they aren't getting any better.... How long do you give Schade to be able to bench press 60Kgs.... Sheesh!!!
Thanks Fat Pizza, that post woke me up!!
It's a pleasure. It is awfully quiet after the storm of that trade period. I guess there'll be an announcement soon about who has been cut. I'm not sure what the rules are about cutting first year players, but agree it would be tough on him. He hasn't shown me anything to make me think he'll be a star. He looked like a deer in headlights in his brief time at AFL level so far. He'd need to improve to keep his spot for 2018.

It's a pleasure. It is awfully quiet after the storm of that trade period. I guess there'll be an announcement soon about who has been cut. I'm not sure what the rules are about cutting first year players, but agree it would be tough on him. He hasn't shown me anything to make me think he'll be a star. He looked like a deer in headlights in his brief time at AFL level so far. He'd need to improve to keep his spot for 2018.

Fat Pizza, you have forced me to get out the McKenzie Willis highlights package. Granted this was in the TFL but it was pretty bloody exciting on draft night when I went from McKenzie who? to how good is this bloke

Any of those kids before SPS. We already have enough wiry, outside midfielders. Would be fine taking him at 10 if he's there, but we need to pick based on needs in the draft this year and he's certainly not the sort of player we're lacking.

We are getting 4 draftees, if SPS is the best kid in the draft then we get him and get 3 big bodied players with our other picks and ship off a couple of underperforming wiry guys on our list for this gun. Maybe we could stick him in a forward pocket until he is ready for the midfield.

In saying that I would take a pass on English - 3 relatively mature rucks and Crossley next year means we can't afford to take him from a list balance POV

IMO with our picks:

1. Taranto
2. Ainsworth
3. SPS
4. Brodie
5. Scrimshaw / Logue

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting thread on the main board suggesting that Essendon take Setterfield with the number one pick.. They reckon GWS won't match and that WS will end up being the best player out of the draft in years to come ala Bontempelli...
Obviously ramifications for us especially if Brisbane are set on Ainsworth. . Means we might get a shot at Mcclug... probably means nothing of the sort but who knows this draft might be even more open than any of us think..

Interesting thread on the main board suggesting that Essendon take Setterfield with the number one pick.. They reckon GWS won't match and that WS will end up being the best player out of the draft in years to come ala Bontempelli...
Obviously ramifications for us especially if Brisbane are set on Ainsworth. . Means we might get a shot at Mcclug... probably means nothing of the sort but who knows this draft might be even more open than any of us think..
No way - Setterfield is even less likely than Bowes to be selected at #1 . Can't remember an Allies game where he actually performed - even his TAC cup games have been inconsistent. Admittedly he has height. build and maybe potential - but no way a first pick. GWS are confirming this by positioning to take McGrath ahead of him (they hope).
Agree GWS will let Essendon have him - but surely they will not be stupid enough to bid when they have options of McLuggage / McGrath

Last edited:
I don't think Essendon would go past McLuggage, but if we some how snapped him up with 4. What a get with Bowes and McL coming into the team it would be.
Essendon may go McGrath - but McLuggage would go 2 - so don't see either of these two coming to us..

No way - Setterfield is even less likely than Bowes to be selected at #1 . Can't remember an Allies game where he actually performed - even his TAC cup games have been inconsistent. Admittedly he has height. build and maybe potential - but no way a first pick. GWS are confirming this by positioning to take McGrath ahead of him (they hope).
Agree GWS will let Essendon have him - but surely they will not be stupid enough to bid when they have options of McLuggage / McGrath
All GWS did was confirm they didn't think he was a first pick, it only really matters what Essendon think as they have first pick...
Bontempelli went number 4 but he was a bolter, I remember he was rated about 10 until real late in his draft year and now he is top 5 player in the game at 20 years old.. Bulldogs knew something. Ironically GWS had picks 1 and 2 that year and passed him up.. maybe they make the same mistake again... their are similarities...
I think people get wrapped up in who is the best player now, not who will be the best player over the next decade... Maybe Setterfield is the man and if Essendon don't take him, maybe they will regret it...

Fair Call - but does Lightning strike twice ? Still think Bombers will be out on a limb...but ' whatever it takes'....
Yeah no doubt! But this Setterfield is a bit under the radar because he is one of two top 10 GWS academy guys and has also had some injuries. . But I reckon one of these recruiters might rate him higher than most of us punters... wonder if GWS match if Ess bid at one.. logic suggests no but maybe they are trying to smoke screen everyone and rate him number one as well... I don't pretend to know but like I said, its interesting. .

Fair Call - but does Lightning strike twice ? Still think Bombers will be out on a limb...but ' whatever it takes'....
Oh and by the way, 'lightning' as you put it has struck a lot more than twice... think Dangerfield, Fyfe, Selwood, Luke Parker.. its a massive list..

Yeah no doubt! But this Setterfield is a bit under the radar because he is one of two top 10 GWS academy guys and has also had some injuries. . But I reckon one of these recruiters might rate him higher than most of us punters... wonder if GWS match if Ess bid at one.. logic suggests no but maybe they are trying to smoke screen everyone and rate him number one as well... I don't pretend to know but like I said, its interesting. .
I've watched a few of his games and will stand by my judgement. I actually rate Koby Mutch as a better player - most under rated GWS Academy member by far...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back