NEAFL 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Dunno what MFC means so I'll move on......

Who can tell me how NT Thunder organises their team - I think they have players from Tiwi Islands, Katherine, Tennant Creek, Alice Springs and Darwin.
Do they all live in Darwin ?
Last time I was there, there were Tiwi Islanders commuting to Darwin, and that must be 100km or so across the water.
And I remember a few years ago when there was a Indonesian volcano cloud covering Darwin, that there was a major bunfight to get the boys home from Sydney via Cairns, then back to Sydney in a hurry.

I'm often the first person to knock the AFL but I've got to praise the powers that be for resigning the current 10 NEAFL clubs for 5 years. IMO that shows that the AFL is fairdinkum about the NEAFL comp and it will certainly allow both clubs and players to be able to commit in the knowledge that their Neafl team has a well supported structure around them. Well done AFL.

Agree Ally, but I'm more impressed by the non-AFL clubs recommitting - I wouldn't have expected the AFL to pull out at any stage.

Since it all started, it has been a bit shaky and you would know that several formation clubs have fallen by the wayside. And there has been disquiet about the way the AFL has forced itself upon the clubs, and the uncertainty about how the fixture would be loaded from year to year.
But, hey, they're all on board for the next five years and everyone can plan with some certainty.

If I were running a non-AFL club then I wouldn't be touching NEAFL with a barge pole, but they are now committed. And, even if NEAFL were to fold in five years time, I am comfortable that the clubs could use what they are building for a good purpose, rather than it all reverting to state league footy.

Now all it needs is some barrackers !

Good times ahead !

Agree Ally, but I'm more impressed by the non-AFL clubs recommitting - I wouldn't have expected the AFL to pull out at any stage.

Since it all started, it has been a bit shaky and you would know that several formation clubs have fallen by the wayside. And there has been disquiet about the way the AFL has forced itself upon the clubs, and the uncertainty about how the fixture would be loaded from year to year.
But, hey, they're all on board for the next five years and everyone can plan with some certainty.

If I were running a non-AFL club then I wouldn't be touching NEAFL with a barge pole, but they are now committed. And, even if NEAFL were to fold in five years time, I am comfortable that the clubs could use what they are building for a good purpose, rather than it all reverting to state league footy.

Now all it needs is some barrackers !

Good times ahead !

Well said, sums up my thoughts too. Bottom line is certainty is good - one just hopes some fairness to the non-AFL clubs creeps in during finals time in particular unlike last year - it remains a compromised comp by definition but do we really need AFL clubs claiming the premiership, I think that is bad for the comp. Now, if they can as you say promote the comp that would be nice - a TV deal is a must, need to see games on Canberra, Sydney and Brisbane TV.

Agree that AFL clubs get to manipulate their lists a bit TJP particularly w academy kids. Canberra would have been a more consistent side last season if its academy could have played with them more often.....outside state/nationals of course.
Looks like the same thing will happen this year from what Im hearing with the Demon youngsters....
I agree that it is a good opportunity for boys to travel and play w an AFL reserve club but there have been several times over the last few years that the GWS have taken boys at the expense of non AFL teams, won the game then sent the boys home never to be heard from again.
Guess its the nature of NEAFL but I would rather see ALL the senior boys on GWS academy list get a run for the GWS not just the stars.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tom Young does a 180 and returns to Sydney Uni!

http://neafl.com.au/index.php?id=16&tx_ttnews[year]=2017&tx_ttnews[month]=03&tx_ttnews[tt_news]=5882&cHash=b1883271a122f024bc99d13890486828

With ZOB and XR also signing and the pick up of most of the Swans topups from last year, Uni are looking very strong
they sure are....for mine the strongest non afl club this year.

watched Canberra play Albury on saturday. the word going around was that Albury didnt bring their best outfit. maybe thats true but they were flogged!
Dees are very fit, bigger and have a few new faces. they moved the ball VERY quickly, a la Western Bulldogs, and although it didnt always come off it is exciting and clearly the team appear a lot freer than last year.
Note Bruce and Josh Bennett and Isaac Taylor didnt play.
I dont think Canberra will play finals this year but their list is definitely stronger and i do think they will be in more games for longer periods and will surprise a few.

Went and had a look at southport v Redland yesterday and maybe it was just one of those days but it looked to that Redland had a much better system of play, their ball movement and defensive pressure far superior for most of the day.

A lot of work to do for the sharks. In what I saw yesterday Redland are pretty good and likely finalists and southport better improve quickly or they will be towards the bottom

Hey Ally,
I see that the Demons played half their team in each of two matches over the weekend - where do they get the other halves of the teams from ?
they played the entire list, rookies and all. there were a couple of outs (Faul and Bennett) and Jack Baker only played a half.

i watched the games....both Dee sides were pretty mixed up. V queanbeyan i could not recognise the forward line and I'm not surprised they kicked 20 points!
Baker was v good in the backline and Jack Powell was outstanding playing mainly half forward. There is talk of him going top 10 in this years draft. I dont think he'll play much for Demons with National u18 and GWS top up commitments, tho why he should play for them against the non AFL clubs has got me $#@%ed!
Klemke has got it right about the overall youth and consistency among the group. They easily accounted for Albury and the ACT sides because there is a better calibre of player on the Demons list, but against other Neafl sides....lets see.
They are definitely better than last year.

they played the entire list, rookies and all. there were a couple of outs (Faul and Bennett) and Jack Baker only played a half.

i watched the games....both Dee sides were pretty mixed up. V queanbeyan i could not recognise the forward line and I'm not surprised they kicked 20 points!
Baker was v good in the backline and Jack Powell was outstanding playing mainly half forward. There is talk of him going top 10 in this years draft. I dont think he'll play much for Demons with National u18 and GWS top up commitments, tho why he should play for them against the non AFL clubs has got me $#@%ed!
Klemke has got it right about the overall youth and consistency among the group. They easily accounted for Albury and the ACT sides because there is a better calibre of player on the Demons list, but against other Neafl sides....lets see.
They are definitely better than last year.
I believe it was the listed backline and rookie forward line against queanbeyan and the listed forward line and rookie backline against belco with the midfield a mix in both games.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Thanks to you both.
I was wondering whether Eastlake players are allowed to play as top-ups, and whether Canberra Demons players are eligible to play for Eastlake.
Where do Canberra Demons players go when they don't get a game with Canberra ?

Thanks to you both.
I was wondering whether Eastlake players are allowed to play as top-ups, and whether Canberra Demons players are eligible to play for Eastlake.
Where do Canberra Demons players go when they don't get a game with Canberra ?
Eastlake players can't play as top-ups JAB. I believe that any listed Demons player that has come from a Canberra club will be able to go back to that club to play if not selected in the Neafl side.
Any other player recruited from elsewhere will play for Gunghalin. (i think thats how its going to go!)

With the NEAFL starting this weekend who would like to make a ladder prediction?

I'll make a start

GWS
Syd uni
Swans
Suns
Redland
Aspley
-----------
Nt thunder
Southport
Bris lions
Canberra

With the start of the season upon us, it's time to start up a tipping competition.
We are going overseas for a few weeks next month and I can sort of keep it up to date from o/s.
I can do it if needed but I seem to do it a bit too often - is there another who will step up to the plate for us ? It's not a big job.

Last edited:
Folks, time to show your skills - it's time to start the NEAFL 2017 footy tipping comp.
No rules really, except that your tips must be in by the bounce of the ball.
No prizes either really, other than bragging rights.
Anyone can enter.
If you miss a week then you get the away team.
Miss two weeks in a row then you're out, unless you ask nicely for a reprieve.

If you want to discuss varying these rules, or adding more, then I'm happy to engage. But let's agree on the rules early before the season starts.

Come on punters, show us ya tips...............

ROUND 1
Canberra v Redland
Southport v Sydney Uni
Giants v Gold Coast
Brisbane v Sydney Swans
NT Thunder v Aspley

My tips:-
Redland
Sydney Uni
Giants
Swans
Thunder