16 43 Jack Miller Honda 1'55.959 1.643 0.325
17 17 Karel Abraham Ducati 1'56.003 1.687 0.044
18 42 Alex Rins Suzuki 1'56.179 1.863 0.176
19 53 Tito Rabat Honda 1'56.368 2.052 0.189
20 8 Hector Barbera Ducati 1'56.725 2.409 0.357
21 22 Sam Lowes Aprilia 1'56.854 2.538 0.129
22 44 Pol Espargaro KTM 1'57.116 2.800 0.262
23 38 Bradley Smith KTM 1'57.654 3.338 0.538

Everyone in Q1 has to shootout to get into Q2 tomorrow.

How impressive have the rookies at Tech 3 been so far!? Both Folger and Zarco had pretty decent winter testings and it's translating into race weekend. The race however will be a different situation for them. Not sure how to read into Jacks' weekend so far. Pretty disappointing. Slowest Honda out there and was below his team mate Tito in FP3 and Tito has had next to no time on the bike due to injury. As for Vale, I'm not too worried. We've seen him struggle on Friday and Saturday before but he always delivers on Sunday.

I think Jack is operating like Lorenzo at the moment and concentrating on race pace rather than outright speed. He's also a Sunday man, as they say.

I think Jack is operating like Lorenzo at the moment and concentrating on race pace rather than outright speed. He's also a Sunday man, as they say.
Yeah, this is true. Although it would be nice to see him try and push for a spot in Q2 though. Half his battle for the top 10 is done if he doesn't have to fight his way from 16th on the grid every race weekend!

Qualifying cancelled due to rain.

Some very unhappy people as the Losail circuit doesn't have a drainage system and they've been calling this impending weather for 2 weeks.

People are dirty that Dorna didn't implement a contingency plan it seems.

Potential for race cancellation if the riders decide the track is too wet

Quick quiz: When was the last time a MotoGP race was cancelled?

I think as soon as there is any issue in MotoGP, lots of people are quick to blame Dorna, rightly or wrongly. When it comes to weather, I don't see how they're at fault. I've seen days rained out at Phillip Island where there is drainage, fortunately not the race day. Contingencies are all well and good, but when the joint floods through the day and is still unsafe at night, what can you really do?

I would imagine the last race to be cancelled for weather would be maybe early 90s or sometime in the 80s.

Qualifying cancelled due to rain.

Some very unhappy people as the Losail circuit doesn't have a drainage system and they've been calling this impending weather for 2 weeks.

People are dirty that Dorna didn't implement a contingency plan it seems.

Potential for race cancellation if the riders decide the track is too wet

Quick quiz: When was the last time a MotoGP race was cancelled?
Yeah that was average. All 3 classes grids will be made up from the combined free practice times. Which puts Jack in 16th so my prediction was spot on!

Didn't a GP race get cancelled in Qatar a few years back now and then they ran the race on Monday? I can't remember the year or the reason or it could have been a SBK round, or i'm making things up. :huh:. It's cool to see the bikes under the floodlights and all but that's about it for Qatar, about 3 people turn up to the track over the weekend.

Last edited:
Yeah that was average. All 3 classes grids will be made up from the combined free practice times. Which puts Jack in 16th so my prediction was spot on!

Didn't a GP race get cancelled in Qatar a few years back now and then they ran the race on Monday? I can't remember the year or the reason or it could have been a SBK round, or i'm making things up. :huh:. It's cool to see the bikes under the floodlights and all but that's about it for Qatar, about 3 people turn up to the track over the weekend.

Pretty sure that was showers at a MotoGP race too and their contingency was to run the next night. That's still up their sleeve for this race too.

Loving that front row though! Maverick, Iannone and Marquez! Good to see 3 different manufacturers on the front row.

Pretty sure that was showers at a MotoGP race too and their contingency was to run the next night. That's still up their sleeve for this race too.

I'm not sure it is as that hasn't been mentioned at all so far.

And the last MotoGP race cancelled was Sepang 2011, when Marco Simoncelli was killed.

I'm not sure it is as that hasn't been mentioned at all so far.

And the last MotoGP race cancelled was Sepang 2011, when Marco Simoncelli was killed.

"If the race cannot be held on Sunday night, then Dorna will have to look at other options. Running the race during the day on Sunday would be an option, in that case. "Racing during the day is definitely not plan A," Webb said, "but depending on circumstances, we can't rule it out completely."

Racing on Monday is also an option, but it was by far the least desirable choice, as it would cause massive headaches for everyone involved."
https://motomatters.com/news/2017/03/24/motogp_considering_all_options_to_handle.html

If raining Monday as well then they'd be forced to cancel the first round.

I knew Simoncelli was the last cancellation but thought you meant from weather. I remember a superbike race being cancelled at the Island from flooding (01?) and Frankie Chili won his only 500GP race when the top guys boycotted because of wet conditions in '89 but can't think of any other race cancellations.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How was Zarco at the start! Was out in front by 1 second. He went the soft option rear and if Dovi is anything to go by it looked like it would have held up. Zarco was a super smooth Moto2 rider and a master at conserving tyres so what could have been!? Agree Aleix had an amazing ride. Jack was really impressive also when all the Hondas seemed to be struggling, from 16th to 8th. Huge confidence booster. Vale the Sunday man delivers again and Maverick delivered on expectations. It's early doors but it looks like it could be a long year for Jorge, Yes he got pushed wide on the opening lap but it's a track that suits the Ducati more than others. Hopefully he can still be competitive in the coming rounds.

How was Zarco at the start! Was out in front by 1 second. He went the soft option rear and if Dovi is anything to go by it looked like it would have held up. Zarco was a super smooth Moto2 rider and a master at conserving tyres so what could have been!? Agree Aleix had an amazing ride. Jack was really impressive also when all the Hondas seemed to be struggling, from 16th to 8th. Huge confidence booster. Vale the Sunday man delivers again and Maverick delivered on expectations. It's early doors but it looks like it could be a long year for Jorge, Yes he got pushed wide on the opening lap but it's a track that suits the Ducati more than others. Hopefully he can still be competitive in the coming rounds.

Zarco went out real hard and likely would've burnt his tires but probably a top 5 finish was still likely.
To have Yamaha, Ducati, Honda and Suzuki all duking it out for much of the race at the front and Aprilia almost sneaking into the top 5, it's an exciting prospect for the season.
Think Lorenzo will be fine. The other issue against him was the iffy weather that spooks him these days. I think he'll find his groove okay.
Miller rode a very nice, mature ride to get good points to start the year. I expect this to be a regular occurrence.

A very interesting race. I wouldn't say a classic, but very interesting. Told us a lot more than testing will. Rossi still the Sunday king, Iannone looks very competitive, Viñales is still one of the worst starters on the grid and Lorenzo had his first dose of reality on the Ducati.

I remember watching the Malaysian GP last year at the San Remo Hotel (A week after the PI GP). A woman, a local, comes up to me and starts talking about the race and MotoGP. The one thing i didn't forget that she said was to watch out for Maverick Vinales next year.

Bitch knows her MotoGP! :D

I had him dialled in as future champ in 125!

Not that anyone would believe me!

I had him dialled in as future champ in 125!

Not that anyone would believe me!
He always had that feel about him. Even when he won his Moto3 world championship in 2013 he probably shouldn't have. He had 3 wins for the season compared to 7 wins for Luis Salom and 6 to Alex Rins but found a way and was super consistent. He out did Rins in an awesome season finale at Valencia to capture the title, Then in his 2nd ever race in Moto2 he goes and wins the race! Definitely apart of the Alien squad.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back