Yassmin abdel magid

Remove this Banner Ad

Funny how the same people who are saying she should be silenced and deported for her comments in one breath, will then say they are defenders of free speech and want 18C repealed in the next.
100% this.

The major culprits particularly are Abetz, Dutton and George Christensen. The same muppets who have strongly supported free speech and repeal of 18C in the past

"I support right to all free speech that isn't defamatory. Even things I hate to hear."

Those were the words of George Christensen

I'm supporting Yassmin though, I think it was a stupid comment to make on that particular day. Just hypocritical of her detractors to come out like that

She has the right to say whatever she wants (in lieu of no actual freedom of speech laws; add to that Facebook is a private entity and can police how they choose) people also have the right to criticize her.

However, being an employee and a public face of the government, she should be punished for what she did because it is not suitable to what is expected behaviour of someone whose livelihood is paid for by the Australian people.

Any employee, especially ones that have a big public presence, that does wrong is punished because it tarnishes their employers image.

She is not special because she is a Islamic feminist woman blah blah blah.

Anyone want to explain exactly what she's done wrong? Pointing out that some of our policy is a bit dodgy when it comes to human rights is hardly any great revelation. You can question the timing, but it's hardly a sackable offence.

I think she's guilty of a blatantly obvious publicity grab and cowardly backing down afterward when I'm sure she knew the consequences of what she wrote.

What she wrote was fine though, there's no law that says we have to care about ANZAC Day. I agree with her that the plight of Syrians etc is more important than remembering WW1. After all, these Syrians are still alive, WW1 vets aren't. Shouldn't we prioritise the living?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

She has edited her post and apologised. I agree with Gerard Henderson's comments reported in the SMH:

Gerard Henderson, meanwhile, took a softer stance. Speaking on Tuesday night's episode of The Bolt Report, Henderson argued Abdel-Magied should not be sacked but instead be given more direction by the ABC.

"I think her judgment is amiss," he said. "But I'm not suggesting she should be sacked or dismissed - I don't run that sort of line. But I think she should be advised that, if you're in the public debate, you are expected to be more considered."

http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment...sparks-anzac-day-outrage-20170425-gvsehn.html

upload_2017-4-26_19-40-57.png

This line has been repeated many times but it highlights a critical misunderstanding of this particular situation.

Freedom of speech is a corner stone of western culture. This is well established.

When we are dealing with the Islamist issue in Australia, people are citing an Islamist agenda to impose their own seperate culture in place of the current western styled culture of Australia.

This Islamic culture is hostile towards the types of freedoms which we are accustomed to here in Australia.

Many Islamists exploit freedom of speech to further this agenda, so if one was to impose some form of sanction on an Islamist and their speech, it is an act to protect freedom of speech from its staunchest of detractors.

If Yassmin was not seen as having an Islamist agenda, and was willing to fully ntergrate into western/Australian culture, her freedom of speech would never be questioned

Interesting.

It depends if you want to separate the woman in question from the deeper topic of Islam in Australia. Granted Yassmin's clearly a prominent promoter of Islam, but I think it's a bit of a reach to assume that just by her pointing out the atrocities occuring in Palestine and on Manus on ANZAC day (personally, the timing's distasteful) has some kind of relation to her pushing an Islamist agenda. Plenty of non-Islamic people also dislike the glorification of our soldiers/our actions as a country during wartime. To be clear, I've no doubt she pushes Islam hard, but just for this issue it's a tough stick to beat her with. I'm sure people will be able to find plenty of other things she's said to put her in the proverbial chaff bag, but this surely isn't one of them.

In regards to freedom of speech. Well yeh, it's complicated as *. I like the idea of it all being ok or none of it being ok, but obviously that's impossible to apply for reasons you've stated above. Looking at it purely in terms of this issue though, it's ridiculous the flak she's copping for being "un-Australian" blah blah by Christensen, Dutton et al. when they've been so vehemently defending our rights as Australians to say what we want, when we want...to a point anyway.

100% this.

The major culprits particularly are Abetz, Dutton and George Christensen. The same muppets who have strongly supported free speech and repeal of 18C in the past

"I support right to all free speech that isn't defamatory. Even things I hate to hear."

Those were the words of George Christensen

I'm supporting Yassmin though, I think it was a stupid comment to make on that particular day. Just hypocritical of her detractors to come out like that

Irrespective of their hypocrisy, can we all agree this guy has the rudest head in the land?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wow. The white, male non muslim Stuart McIntyre said much worse.

What she said was tame. He pointed out many of the anzacs were drunken rapists. She didn't.

And yeah of course people are free to criticise her politically incorrect statements. In fact, there is one prominent neo-nazi facebook group whose rubbish is posted on BF by people on here who are getting lots of traction by criticising her. Ironic enough, because there are images of them celebrating hitler's birthday.

It's not as if she's the first person to politicise ANZAC Day, flogging April 15 to push your own agenda is surely proof that she's fully integrated into Australian culture, and society. We should be celebrating this.
She's stirring the s**t. Politically incorrect. Aussie larrikinism.

Good on her; need more of this.

Wow. The white, male non muslim Stuart McIntyre said much worse.

What she said was tame. He pointed out many of the anzacs were drunken rapists. She didn't.

And yeah of course people are free to criticise her politically incorrect statements. In fact, there is one prominent neo-nazi facebook group whose rubbish is posted on BF by people on here who are getting lots of traction by criticising her. Ironic enough, because there are images of them celebrating hitler's birthday.

Stuart McIntyre was born in this country ? and shits all over the best place on the planet. Just being born white in Australia makes him (by birth) in the top 5% in the world for wealth and opportunity. Ungrateful piece of s**t!

Abdel-Magied was born in Khartoum in 1991 and immigrated to Australia as a child, took all the opportunities and freedom that Australia has to offer that wasn't available in the s**t hole where she was born and then s**t on all of us. Ungrateful piece of s**t!

Interesting.

It depends if you want to separate the woman in question from the deeper topic of Islam in Australia. Granted Yassmin's clearly a prominent promoter of Islam, but I think it's a bit of a reach to assume that just by her pointing out the atrocities occuring in Palestine and on Manus on ANZAC day (personally, the timing's distasteful) has some kind of relation to her pushing an Islamist agenda. Plenty of non-Islamic people also dislike the glorification of our soldiers/our actions as a country during wartime. To be clear, I've no doubt she pushes Islam hard, but just for this issue it's a tough stick to beat her with. I'm sure people will be able to find plenty of other things she's said to put her in the proverbial chaff bag, but this surely isn't one of them.

In regards to freedom of speech. Well yeh, it's complicated as ****. I like the idea of it all being ok or none of it being ok, but obviously that's impossible to apply for reasons you've stated above. Looking at it purely in terms of this issue though, it's ridiculous the flak she's copping for being "un-Australian" blah blah by Christensen, Dutton et al. when they've been so vehemently defending our rights as Australians to say what we want, when we want...to a point anyway.

just to clarify, I'm reading the state of play and not necessarily advocating any one view here.

I think that all outspoken Muslim apologists are being viewed with a level of scepticism at the moment. The comments made by Yassmin, using what could be described as 'Australia's most sacred day' as a platform to push her islamocentric views will immediately trigger the 'creeping caliphate' alarm for many.

For these people the caliphate rightly represents a loss of human rights, with free speech being one of those.

Islamists are an enemy of freedom of speech therefore I do not feel that the archetypal Islamist is entitled to share the same rights in this regard

i agree that in Yassmin case, she has every right to voice her opinion, but if people are conflating her views with the Islamist agenda (rightly or wrongly) I don't think she's helped her own cause by making those comments on Anzac Day.

Just being born white in Australia makes him (by birth) in the top 5% in the world for wealth and opportunity.
Yeah thanks for pointing out structural racism.

Abdel-Magied was born in Khartoum in 1991 and immigrated to Australia as a child, took all the opportunities and freedom that Australia has to offer that wasn't available in the s**t hole where she was born and then s**t on all of us. Ungrateful piece of s**t!

Again with criticising her for exercising the freedom you say she should be grateful for having. It's dopey.

And she didn't s**t on the country. She s**t on the racist policies of the political establishment.

Yeah thanks for pointing out structural racism.

Again with criticising her for exercising the freedom you say she should be grateful for having. It's dopey.

And she didn't s**t on the country. She s**t on the racist policies of the political establishment.

If you want to see racism at it's finest, try being a christian Khartoum.

The loopy left makes my blood boil.

The ANZACs fought for a free country, that allowed immigrants over here and now they are being detained

No they didn't (given immigration restriction had just come in) You may as well say they fought for gay marriage

SRP really going for peak stupidity last couple of days.

Which immigrants are being detained?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back