IC17 2017 AFL International Cup

Remove this Banner Ad

Brunei are also training hard but I don't know anything past that.
Remember this controversary for IC14.
http://www.afleurope.org/afl-europe-announces-groundbreaking-partnership-with-royal-brunei-airlines/
The AFL had to can the deal because of various issues raised, connected to that Country.
Oil and Gas make this one of the richest Countries in the World.
Would have heaps of Expats there for obvious reasons, and there is a team in neighbouring Borneo -The Borneo Bears who may or may not be connected.
http://www.afl-asia.com/borneo-bears/

Remember this controversary for IC14.
http://www.afleurope.org/afl-europe-announces-groundbreaking-partnership-with-royal-brunei-airlines/
The AFL had to can the deal because of various issues raised, connected to that Country.
Oil and Gas make this one of the richest Countries in the World.
Would have heaps of Expats there for obvious reasons, and there is a team in neighbouring Borneo -The Borneo Bears who may or may not be connected.
http://www.afl-asia.com/borneo-bears/

Yes, I can think of better places and entities to boycott.

So by hook or by crook, here is who has confirmed, through WFN and other sources:

Men: Canada, China, Fiji, France, Germany, Great Britain, India, Indonesia, Ireland, Japan, Nauru, New Zealand, PNG, South Africa, Sri Lanka, USA

Women: Canada, European Crusaders, Fiji, Great Britain, Ireland, PNG, USA.

Good idea to split the men into divisions....would be better if the d1 men were pooled as well imho
A lot of people saying that. Problem is that with two pools of five, you need an extra round, probably two, in order to get the desired result. This would've worked better with an actual seeding formula.

A lot of people saying that. Problem is that with two pools of five, you need an extra round, probably two, in order to get the desired result. This would've worked better with an actual seeding formula.
A seeding formula is good, but there are not enough games between the teams for seeding to be any more than an uneducated guess.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i just read the wiki page for the 2017 international cup... am i seeing this right? Croatia will not be facing anyone besides Asian teams and Germany?! please tell me i'm wrong. or is it that the winners of division 2 will face some division 1 teams?

Last edited:
i just read the wiki page for the 2017 international cup... am i seeing this right? Croatia will not be facing anyone besides Asian teams and Germany?! please tell me i'm wrong. or is it that the winners of division 2 will face some division 1 teams?

Croatia and Germany are in different pools and yes all the other teams in division #2 are Asian.
What's your point ?

Croatia and Germany are in different pools and yes all the other teams in division #2 are Asian.
What's your point ?

i figured if Croatia was going to be in this thing the point would be to see how they fare against countries like Fiji, Nauru, Canada, and United States. we already seen them against Germany, and i assume they will destroy the Asian countries. of course i'm judging by their 2013 performance. unless Germany and the Asian countries have improved a lot since 2013 or Croatia has declined, i just see it as a waste that Croatia won't be playing some of the second tier non-European countries. basically the final of the 2nd division will most likely be Germany vs Croatia... which was the 5th place European Championship spot in 2013. it just seems redundant and not very international.

Last edited:
There aren't any.

i think any country that is highly competitive and haven't competed for the final or 3rd place could possibly be called a "2nd tier" team, but it's just terminology. my point is that Croatia and Germany won't be facing real international competition... they are facing themselves and some Asian countries. as i see it that is probably the biggest disappointment of the tournament, probably worse than Tonga and Samoa not playing again.

i think .

That this cup has fantastic arrangement. It's exactly what people asked for - competitive matches.
With over 50 countries playing Australian Football regularly there's a lot of potential countries missing.
but you can only focus on the teams that have managed to get to Melbourne.
I'm a great fan of what Croatia has achieved but a two week 18-a-side challenge is quite different.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back