IC17 2017 AFL International Cup

Remove this Banner Ad

Of course they are, for the same reason Fiji is strong in rugby.
They have 500,000 people in a compact area with a good league.
I struggle to comprehend you even mention S.I. and Vanuatu.

So haven't you answered your own question ?
How can the addition of a world body not help the AFL if the AFL is doing "zip".

(World Body) Because as you suggested it would be an "AFL" world body, mate. Why add another institution when as others have pointed out above, the same goals could be achieved from an office at AFL house and a few people pick up the phone?

(Fiji) The Fijiian league is quite young and a place like Denmark has a far bigger population in a small area with a more established league. Denmark (with the minor exception of Aksel Bang) hasn't been elevated above NZ or USA as a likely source of organic footballers.

I mentioned other Melanesian countries because there are many ethno-cultural similarities between them. I don't know how Fiji being amazing at Rugby 7s means that they'll produce more organic Australian footballers, when the power of Rugby in NZ is often singled out as a reason other football codes struggle.

I have seen lots of posters here put their ideas out into the forum, some with merit, some quite flawed, but you've seemed to had a bone to pick with almost all of them. The international aspect of Australian Football is beyond a challenge. Embryonic doesn't come close to describing it when you look at other similar sports (lacrosse even!). As The_Wookie pointed out, you seem to have ideas that most would characterise as "pie in the sky". He asked you about the 50 countries and you couldn't give him an answer, even though it seems like a pretty simple question. It's hard to see why others are so obviously wrong whenever they pop their heads up, but you seem to have answers on tap.

I'm the first to admit I'm not the suppository of all wisdom when it comes to footy beyond our borders; I'm very much a greenhorn when it comes to actually being involved on the ground. However, I'm sure that there is a lot of experience and knowledge contained within the four walls of this sub-forum that you seem to flippantly dismiss on the reg.

I didn't mean for this to become a rant. I bear no ill will nor do I think you're not 100% invested in footy's success overseas, but it's frustrating to read so many plainly negative posts.

Of course they are, for the same reason Fiji is strong in rugby.
They have 500,000 people in a compact area with a good league.
Now, investment has seen a great rise in the professionalism in of AFL Fiji.
Yes, there is still is a long way to go.
The question is where is it most likely that organic football will produce AFL players.
The first player could be add hoc from anywhere.
I'm pretty sure the AFL was hoping it would be the R.S.A.
The P.N.G. produce a lot of footballers but not AFL. Everybody is looking at "Ace".
Plenty of overseas players tall enough running around from N.Z., U.S.A., G.B. and Ireland
but they haven't experienced the competitive junior years..
Aust. has an ethnic PI population of over 280,000 -but the AFL has had negligble success in recruiting players from a PI background;even GR PI participation is poor.

There needs to more more focus on getting the PI community here playing GR AF, then AFL recruitment will start. There are many good athletes here.
IMO, it would be much more cost effective to increase PI player nos. in Aust. ie those already living here (& less "culture shock"). The best athletes in the Pacific will, obviously, be drawn to RU & RL, as they are by far the most popular sports there. It appears the NRL & ARU are ramping up their recruitment of PI players.
PNG was very impressive, they look like natural AF players. Surely, we could recruit some smalls from there up to 15-16 y.o, then put them in a TAC program. The AFL must bring them here young, to increase their Draft chances

Last edited:

And now the talk is about "Ace".
I've already acknowledged that PNG produce/will produce the most number of footballers.
I've mentioned Fiji because they aren't short.
Did you attend and Fiji Tribe games ?
Did you note team sizes ?

I saw most of their games and there are some players who are taller, indeed their average height would be taller than a Nauru, Japan or PNG. They were definitely on average smaller than NZ and Canada when they played them though.

I saw most of their games and there are some players who are taller, indeed their average height would be taller than a Nauru, Japan or PNG. They were definitely on average smaller than NZ and Canada when they played them though.

Right, so the P.N.G. with all their numbers is much smaller than the developing Fiji Tribe.

Right, so the P.N.G. with all their numbers is much smaller than the developing Fiji Tribe.

But by extension, Nauru is a team who have for their entire history been comprised of smalls & I would back them in to win an International Cup game against most, including the the taller Fiji. I'd back the taller Kiwis to supply the AFL with more organic players than the triumphant Mozzies too... I'm certainly not saying Fiji is a country of dwarfs, but on observation of all of the factors (average player's physical attributes, population size/density, league strength, finances) it's hard for me to come to the conclusion that Fiji is the front-runner over a NZ or USA.

But by extension, Nauru .

Why are you talking about Nauru for ?

I'm certainly not saying Fiji is a country of dwarfs,.

I applaud you for not following R.U. but I've seen the Fiji rugby team.

It's hard for me to come to the conclusion that Fiji is the front-runner over a NZ or USA.

What is happening in the U.S.A. ? Are you saying there are major changes there in organic football ?
N.Z. is hardly "organic growth" these days but even so they lost to PNG "dwarfs" (your words not mine)

I've had a little bit to do with AFL Vanuatu and know some who are or have been involved with Fiji and Solomon Islands.

So tell me, I'm really interested in practical exercises.
Who do these organisations go to when they need help ?
Please give some examples.

P.S. If I wanted to volunteer in S.I. , Vanuatu or Fiji (for football) who would I approach ?
P.P.S. If I wanted to donate to S.I. , Vanuatu or Fiji (for football) who would I approach ?

Are you there jarrod_island_doggies, you're usually so quick to respond ? 12.33

Last edited:
Why are you talking about Nauru for ?

I applaud you for not following R.U. but I've seen the Fiji rugby team.

What is happening in the U.S.A. ? Are you saying there are major changes there in organic football ?
N.Z. is hardly "organic growth" these days but even so they lost to PNG "dwarfs" (your words not mine)

Cheers for the snark, real helpful you w***er.

If you're so reliably informed why hasn't Gil jumped onboard to make you Emperor for life of AFLI?

I talked about Nauru because you'd apparently looked at Fiji and said yep, this place has some talls, some organisation, some skill at 7s ipso facto, that's where your goldmine is AFL, thank me later.

So is organic growth a kid who comes across a footy in a park and teaches themselves how to kick, ????, gets drafted? Is the AFL's interest in playing games in NZ and supporting the league in Auckland precluding NZ players from being "organic"?

Do you not realise winning an International Cup final doesn't necessarily mean your team is made up of players that the AFL would consider drafting?

So tell me, I'm really interested in practical exercises.
Who do these organisations go to when they need help ?
Please give some examples.

P.S. If I wanted to volunteer in S.I. , Vanuatu or Fiji (for football) who would I approach ?
P.P.S. If I wanted to donate to S.I. , Vanuatu or Fiji (for football) who would I approach ?

Are you there jarrod_island_doggies, you're usually so quick to respond ? 12.33

Please direct your ill-informed questions to Nancy Patterson, program manager at AFL Vanuatu - I'll give you her email, mobile, facebook too if you like! Hell, why don't I add you into the private messenger group with other coaches, volunteers and administrators in Port Vila? Keen to contribute?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You're usually so quick to respond RedV3x - 50 countries? 45? I'll make it easier for you, let's go with 35! Don't leave us all hanging...

Sorry, i was enjoying watching some football.....

Tell us what are the fixtures for Nauru, PNG, Vanuatu, Fiji, NZ, Tonga and S.I. and T.L. your apparent area of expertise.

Last edited:
(World Body) Because as you suggested it would be an "AFL" world body, mate. Why add another institution when as others have pointed out above, the same goals could be achieved from an office at AFL house and a few people pick up the phone?

Because AFL falls far short of what's desirable, functional or equitable.
The AFL falls short in the area of organic growth. Remember the Guardian article.
The AFL could add more officers dedicated to the organic growth of Australian Football.
Or a world body could help the AFL.
Hey a world body would be cheaper and more effective.
Everybody, including the AFL should be encouraging volunteers not the opposite.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back