IC17 2017 AFL International Cup

Remove this Banner Ad

Wouldn't take a lot for a split to occur and an international body to be formed.

If the USA, Canada, Great Britain and Ireland work as a block, that's almost half the men's division one and the top half of the women's division.

Wouldn't be too hard from their to convince some of the smaller nations to follow, and bingo, they now have control of international aussie rules.

Just need the Yanks and Cannucks to 'smooth out a few things' after the 49 Parallel Cup situation from two years ago.

Red
Are there "50 odd countries regularly playing Australian Football"? Regularly would be a minimum of 40 full contact matches (9's, or bigger sides) a year, played over at least 10 separate days. Which countries satisfy this criteria? One-off AF demonstrations/ Gala Days etc. are not applicable.

How much does the AFL spend on international AF each year (excluding Pt Adelaide & Combines)? Over $2,000,000 pa? NZ & China the biggest recipients?
How much on the IC?
How much does it obtain for AFL telecasts?
Care to place a 2017 $ savings on the "value" of a foreign recruit (currently only Irish) who plays at least 100 AFL games (the comparison would be with the cost of developing a local, elite junior, up to 18 y.o, recruited from the TAC etc.)?

If the AFL agreed to spend $3,000,000 pa, where, how, & on what would produce the biggest increase in AF players overseas -measured over a 10 year period?

South Africa has performed very poorly in this IC. Your views on the reasons? And its prospects over the next 5 years?
Do you know how many regd. adults & jnrs. they had in 2014? And in 2017?

O
Mail is the Irish (despite how well they performed) are asking if playing in the IC is worth the financial effort. A point was made that the women pay thousands to travel down under to play most their game on a "paddock in front of hardly anyone", when back home they can play a Ladies Gaelic final in a stadium in front of almost 40,000 people.

Of all the points raised so far, this has the least merit of all. If they want to play gaelic, let them play gaelic. They arent being picked from gaelic though, they are picked from ARFLI sides.

Of all the points raised so far, this has the least merit of all. If they want to play gaelic, let them play gaelic. They arent being picked from gaelic though, they are picked from ARFLI sides.

And the ARFLI sides recruited them from Gaelic teams. The ARFLI women's comp ain't a strong regular competition like over in London. They only play every so many weeks.

And the ARFLI sides recruited them from Gaelic teams. The ARFLI women's comp ain't a strong regular competition like over in London. They only play every so many weeks.

I dont really care where they come from. No one forced them to come here and if they want to play gaelic, then play gaelic, dont whine about being here.

Red
Are there "50 odd countries regularly playing Australian Football"? Regularly would be a minimum of 40 full contact matches (9's, or bigger sides) a year, played over at least 10 separate days. Which countries satisfy this criteria? One-off AF demonstrations/ Gala Days etc. are not applicable.

How much does the AFL spend on international AF each year (excluding Pt Adelaide & Combines)? Over $2,000,000 pa? NZ & China the biggest recipients?
How much on the IC?
Care to place a 2017 $ savings on the "value" of a foreign recruit (currently only Irish) who plays at least 100 AFL games (the comparison would be with the cost of developing a local, elite junior, up to 18 y.o, recruited from the TAC etc.)?

If the AFL agreed to spend $3,000,000 pa, where, how, & on what would produce the biggest increase in AF players overseas -measured over a 10 year period?

South Africa has performed very poorly in this IC. Your views on the reasons? And its prospects over the next 5 years?
Do you know how many regd. adults & jnrs. they had in 2014? And in 2017?

A lot of questions. To answer them properly I'll have to take it one at a time.

If the AFL agreed to spend $3,000,000 pa, where, how, & on what would produce the biggest increase in AF players overseas -measured over a 10 year period ?

So $3 million to produce the largest increase in Australian Football players over 10 years.
I will add on top of what they are expending now so that start from a known point.
This is largely an irrelevant question question because the AFL is looking for more AFL players not Australian Football players.
You could go with the current strategy and leverage off of AusAid and AusTrade.
Thus R.S.A. absolute numbers, P.N.G. for proficient numbers or Fiji for most AFL players.
The Southern Hemisphere is the best prospect for the AFL due to proximity.
I would certainly continue with those current programs.
For a new program, I would go with a project that is currently asking for funding and that is a program to teach teachers how to instruct Australian Football sports programs. Thus instead of paying for development officers proportional with size of population and coverage you are creating a dynamic program that is self-generating. This would be so cheap that you could role the program out to whatever region that wanted to be involved. This would be successful where there are current school programs and of course some newbies. Specifically, I'd start with Canada.
However as any financial planner will tell you, you need a balanced approach.
Certainly there are a lot of individual projects that would need to come under that umbrella.
Like development officers for North America.
Whilst the question is about increasing the number of players there also has to be focus on retention of players.
Players and clubs in the Northern Hemisphere experience much higher costs and it needs a collective approach to lower these.
Such as health, insurance, fields, facilities, equipment and travel.
That is a quick answer. There is much more in the detail.

are there really though? I strongly doubt there are even 50 countries actually playing the game, let alone on a regular basis.
Here is a fun question, which countries have footy scenes bigger than Lacrosse in Australia? Answer, none. None even come close, Australia has multiple leagues each with multiple divisions, in mens and womens, and with juniors for boys and girls.

Some of these countries have footy scenes no bigger than the Australian Kabaddi community.

If a country cannot field a league of at least 4 teams, given most of them are probably Australian anyway, then it just doesn't count.

We also know how hard it is to spread Aussie rules, and the sort of resources it takes, because its been happening in Australia for decades. There is not 1 city in the entire world that isn't going to be many times harder to crack than Sydney.

Growing the game in multiple cities, in multiple countries to any meaningful degree is an exercise that could easily chew up hundreds of millions of dollars, and still not produce any sort of significant return. Spending less than that in the hope of growth is pissing money against a wall.

The only realistic approach is to identify those leagues that have gone beyond a handful of Aussie guys who miss footy, and look like they could actually be sustainable long term, and support them with some grant money, or paid positions. Let them do the expanding. When its big enough to show signs of bearing fruit (2050 or so), then look at investing some real money (when there is something to invest in).

Wouldn't take a lot for a split to occur and an international body to be formed.

Yet a split doesn't have to occur.
As I said earlier a world body could easily be created to HELP the AFL in the running of organic growth football.
It's function could be to collect and collate information and make recommendations.
It's not much different to what happens informally a.t.m.
There are advantages in just having a world body in existence.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The AFL's veiw is like the Australian government's view - it's much cheaper to find a ready-made immigrant to fill a skill's need.

It's easier to look at a group than focus on one player.
The AFL run a combine for minimal cost and the clubs select a handfull of players that go onto their list.
To get the equivalent number of Australian players that's possibly equivalent to one state's draft contribution.
That could require the efforts of WAFL, WAAFL and community football with the associated infrastructure of grounds, buildings, staff etc.
To get the equivalent number of overseas players then you would have to build the numbers and infrastructure up to state level.

Clearly AFL combines are an absolute BARGAIN in comparison unfortunately.
If we look at Ireland then they are being used much like the second tier organisations to produce free AFL players.
You could possibly extend that to the U.S.A. college system (though not so overt).

We know it is a lot some people would argue that the revenue pie should reward more the organisations that produce football players
and allocate more to overseas development than currently expended.

But is your question "How much does it obtain for overseas AFL telecasts?". Good question. No idea.
But Australian Football was third ranked on American cable systems when they were creating Pay TV
and then dropped Australian Football whence American mainstream sports came online.
Why wouldn't you keep a successful program ? Pay TV overseas has often been debated.
Are the AFL asking too much ? Are they trying to give it away?

Insight might be garnered by the AFL's attitude to streaming which is rapidly torpedoing cable systems.
The AFL charges overseas subscribers more than Australian-based subscribers.
None of the revenue from overseas based subscribers is ear-marked for re-investment overseas.

That random bloke was Brian Clarke, who now has a much lower profile,

These days, he pushes his organisations rather than his involvement. He set up "Global Footy" and now "Australian Football International".
The latter entity has the highest measurable public involvement over other entities involved with football overseas.

Yet a split doesn't have to occur.
As I said earlier a world body could easily be created to HELP the AFL in the running of organic growth football.
It's function could be to collect and collate information and make recommendations.
It's not much different to what happens informally a.t.m.
There are advantages in just having a world body in existence.

For some reason the cynic in me only sees it happening if it's the official "AFL World Australian Football Association" or some such (key here being the AFL prefix)

That's what I've been saying.

But then how can it be truly independent? Don't get me wrong; I don't think it's necessarily a terrible idea (I'm more ambivalent than others about the AFL being the "evil empire" figure), but I'm not sure how being kept at arms length (surely requisite for an independent body) is possible in this scenario.

But then how can it be truly independent? Don't get me wrong; I don't think it's necessarily a terrible idea (I'm more ambivalent than others about the AFL being the "evil empire" figure), but I'm not sure how being kept at arms length (surely requisite for an independent body) is possible in this scenario.
Anyone thinking those international leagues complaining about not getting enough support from the AFL to run their own leagues, are turning around and setting up a world governing body are kidding themselves.

It would be like Collie Eagles football club and Boyanup junior football club getting together and setting up an Australian national organising body.

Unless people are thinking a few guys getting together in a room with International football on the door is going to cut it.

If the AFL doesn't organise it, it isn't happening. If the AFL isn't paying for it, it isn't happening

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

Anyone thinking those international leagues complaining about not getting enough support from the AFL to run their own leagues, are turning around and setting up a world governing body are kidding themselves.

That's right. It's about the countries getting to together to form a world body to assist the AFL in developing the organic growth of Australian Football.
We're not talking competition or control but assistance.
Pretty simple really.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back