Gym & Misc General Health and Fitness Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Out of curiosity, why do you think the injury happened? Too much weight? Not enough warm-up?
Good question. It's actually ironic because as I said it was after I had dropped the weight from the heavier sets so I think it was more just a lack of focus on my form after that. Having said that I had certainly lifted my training of legs the past 4-6 weeks from doing it very rarely to doing legs twice a week so whether this contributed to it as well, i'm not sure.

FWIW the pain is still there so I actually went to the doctor yesterday afternoon after going to the physio on Friday. I've actually popped a rib so that explains why this hurt a bit more than a pulled muscle last time and also explains why it's still lingering :(

yeah you would be right, plus way under what sleep I should be getting atm too. went like normal and only missed one rep so just going to keep at it! might try some pre work out & see if that helps at all too

Honestly you shouldn't have any side effects from dropping 200 calories a day from what you were eating last week. Training and sleep should all be the same, if not then you've drop to many calories to soon. Which means yes you will drop weight quickly but give it 4 weeks and if you stall you have little room to drop calories.

8-10 weeks of consistent dieting thats when the suffering starts

Honestly you shouldn't have any side effects from dropping 200 calories a day from what you were eating last week. Training and sleep should all be the same, if not then you've drop to many calories to soon. Which means yes you will drop weight quickly but give it 4 weeks and if you stall you have little room to drop calories.

8-10 weeks of consistent dieting thats when the suffering starts
Contrary to status quo I prefer to drop calories as low as I possibly can until I stop losing weight. Then do a week or so back at maintenance calories to reset my metabolism and cut hard again.

I find myself getting constantly frustrated when starting with a 500 calorie deficit and only reduce calories as required when hitting a plateau, for 2 reasons. Firstly if I'm following a diet I want to see results, I find it more rewarding to see significant weight dropping off when I follow a significant deficit and secondly I don't like having to constantly adjust my eating plan when slowly reducing my calories over time.

I'm not advocating this idea as something everyone should follow as eating 1500 cals per day and training 6 times per week certainly isn't for everyone but I'm able to function quite well at those numbers despite it being a ~1600 cal daily deficit.

Contrary to status quo I prefer to drop calories as low as I possibly can until I stop losing weight. Then do a week or so back at maintenance calories to reset my metabolism and cut hard again.

I find myself getting constantly frustrated when starting with a 500 calorie deficit and only reduce calories as required when hitting a plateau, for 2 reasons. Firstly if I'm following a diet I want to see results, I find it more rewarding to see significant weight dropping off when I follow a significant deficit and secondly I don't like having to constantly adjust my eating plan when slowly reducing my calories over time.

I'm not advocating this idea as something everyone should follow as eating 1500 cals per day and training 6 times per week certainly isn't for everyone but I'm able to function quite well at those numbers despite it being a ~1600 cal daily deficit.

Yes dieting is completely individual thing, there is no one size fits all. Our bodies and minds all work differently

I was suggesting to the poster to keep calories higher if they wanted to keep their strength in the gym.

i'm in the gradual decrease camp. i'll work out maintenance cals on healthy eater, then adjust by -100 cal (400-450kJ). gives me room to adjust and respond to further decreases down the track and maintain the energy I need for 7 sessions - weights/conditioning/cycling - a week. i also adjust my daily energy intake and macros based on the session(s) for the day.

the key with cutting is time and patience.

From sunday I went from eating at 500 cals over to 500 under, big difference I know, with the occasional day of eating at maintenance (today for instance). I know I wont be gaining any strength under this, just want to maintain where I am at. Work out last night wasn't amazing but got through it ok.

Actually dropped 27 kilos in 3 months a few years ago (wasn't working out at that time though) which was a short term pain on a big deficit but it worked really well for me. only wanting to drop about 10-12kgs now so hopefully its done relatively quick anyway

From sunday I went from eating at 500 cals over to 500 under, big difference I know, with the occasional day of eating at maintenance (today for instance). I know I wont be gaining any strength under this, just want to maintain where I am at. Work out last night wasn't amazing but got through it ok.

Actually dropped 27 kilos in 3 months a few years ago (wasn't working out at that time though) which was a short term pain on a big deficit but it worked really well for me. only wanting to drop about 10-12kgs now so hopefully its done relatively quick anyway

That's the trade off, big calorie deficit you will drop weight quickly but will hinder strength in the gym or slow and steady, slower weight loss but strength will be maintained.

just be aware that the rapid weight loss on big calorie deficits is largely lean muscle loss, and if you're cutting carbs, water weight too.

better off using body fat % as your guide rather than the number on the scales.

just be aware that the rapid weight loss on big calorie deficits is largely lean muscle loss, and if you're cutting carbs, water weight too.

Not if carbs and fat is the majority of deficit, and you increase protein.

Agreed
I've been eating (during the week at work)
A salad that consists of 4 lettuce types, spinach, cherry Tom's, avocado, feta and shredded carrot beetroot and cabbage mix with home cooked chicken
Then tuna or fish as well.
I'll have two mandarins and two kiwi fruits per week during the 5 days as well
Each week I change from salad to veg ( peas corn broccoli brussels and runner beans)

Managed to maintain the weight after dropping about 7 kilo
Will introduce more protein next week now I'm over the damn flu

My carb intake consists of 4 bits of toast a week (plus the fruit above)

Agreed
I've been eating (during the week at work)
A salad that consists of 4 lettuce types, spinach, cherry Tom's, avocado, feta and shredded carrot beetroot and cabbage mix with home cooked chicken
Then tuna or fish as well.
I'll have two mandarins and two kiwi fruits per week during the 5 days as well
Each week I change from salad to veg ( peas corn broccoli brussels and runner beans)

Managed to maintain the weight after dropping about 7 kilo
Will introduce more protein next week now I'm over the damn flu

My carb intake consists of 4 bits of toast a week (plus the fruit above)
Jesus, cutting sucks.

I do that with eggs/whites each morning.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

not true for keto nor PSMF

there are definitely ways to hit a big deficit without losing muscle mass

not true for keto nor PSMF

there are definitely ways to hit a big deficit without losing muscle mass

Lyle McDonald has some really good books. Rapid fat loss - the right way to go on crash diet. Plus pretty sure he has protein sparing and keto diet books.

I was running a very heavy deficit in the 2 weeks leading up to this photo (diet ended 31/03, photo taken 04/04).

No issues with lean muscle mass loss, my biggest take away from this cut was that if you're going to run an heavy deficit you need to reset your metabolism periodically. Metabolic adaption is very very frustrating.

I was running a very heavy deficit in the 2 weeks leading up to this photo (diet ended 31/03, photo taken 04/04).

No issues with lean muscle mass loss, my biggest take away from this cut was that if you're going to run an heavy deficit you need to reset your metabolism periodically. Metabolic adaption is very very frustrating.

Nice work.

Plus the work out the day after a refeed is so good!

Nice work.

Plus the work out the day after a refeed is so good!
the pump after a refeed is

QONVIyz.gif

Savage AF
"our systematic review of empirical studies evaluating the relationship between clinical experience and performance suggests that physicians who have been in practice for more years and older physicians possess less factual knowledge, are less likely to adhere to appropriate standards of care, and may also have poorer patient outcomes."
https://sci-hub.ac/10.7326/0003-4819-142-4-200502150-00008

It's interesting as one of my older lecturers at uni (an osteo) has said a few times she loves it when they have uni students on placement as they're typically the most up to date with current best practices etc and aren't experienced enough yet to have formed clinical biases.

Nothing like doing house renos to burn a few extra calories

Savage AF
"our systematic review of empirical studies evaluating the relationship between clinical experience and performance suggests that physicians who have been in practice for more years and older physicians possess less factual knowledge, are less likely to adhere to appropriate standards of care, and may also have poorer patient outcomes."
https://sci-hub.ac/10.7326/0003-4819-142-4-200502150-00008

It's interesting as one of my older lecturers at uni (an osteo) has said a few times she loves it when they have uni students on placement as they're typically the most up to date with current best practices etc and aren't experienced enough yet to have formed clinical biases.

Yeah they touched on this in one of my research units at uni.

It's ironic that that most people generally prefer to see an older, more experienced doctor and don't trust some freshly graduated babyface, when the evidence suggests it should be the other way round.

Yeah they touched on this in one of my research units at uni.

It's ironic that that most people generally prefer to see an older, more experienced doctor and don't trust some freshly graduated babyface, when the evidence suggests it should be the other way round.

Not to mention the 'more experienced' doctors can't be arsed giving you 5 minutes whereas younger doctors don't want to make a mistake and are more thorough.

Generalisation though... my doctor who I've had since 1997 is amazing. I walk out of there with breast checks, mole checks, blood tests etc. I didn't even realise I'd forgotten. Chased me up (technically receptionist) at least 5 times to get me in, and in doing so more or less saved my ass from cervical cancer.

She's great and would be nearing retirement. Must have baby before she retires.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back