NBN - Good or Bad

Remove this Banner Ad

ok when you lose internet do you lose connection to the wifi signal?

If you lose internet and can still see your hotspot then its the internet dropping out

If you completely lose the signal then it is likely an error with the modem
It stays connected but says no internet connection availible and then i reset it and its fine. Some days its pretty good and others its a nightmare

Work relating to the NBN has been done in my area (specifically my street) this past week. Funnily enough whatever they've done has impacted on my standard cable connection. I've not been cut off (NBN itself is still inactive!) yet with NBN being the "technology" going forward - it's been a difficult process to try and get someone to look into the problem. The modem still works and shows signs of life (hence why I'm assuming it's a corroded cable with the amount of wind and rain in recent weeks!).

The tech support webchat is now "NBN" customers only, standard cable customers have to call the standard phone line. However the phone line itself is basically about signing up to NBN, activating NBN, technical NBN issues. I got on to someone about my cable internet, was told I would get a follow up call the following day (before they even book a technician appointment). The time came and went - no phone call.

I call the phone number I was given in case of a missed call. Once again it's geared toward NBN signups........ not specifically what I want or need.

The NBN isn't ready and probably still won't be ready for quite some time, I'm not signing up for a service that's not operational in my area. I know other people have waited 6-8 months, some are still waiting 12+ months later. It's ridiculous.

Work relating to the NBN has been done in my area (specifically my street) this past week. Funnily enough whatever they've done has impacted on my standard cable connection. I've not been cut off (NBN itself is still inactive!) yet with NBN being the "technology" going forward - it's been a difficult process to try and get someone to look into the problem. The modem still works and shows signs of life (hence why I'm assuming it's a corroded cable with the amount of wind and rain in recent weeks!).

The tech support webchat is now "NBN" customers only, standard cable customers have to call the standard phone line. However the phone line itself is basically about signing up to NBN, activating NBN, technical NBN issues. I got on to someone about my cable internet, was told I would get a follow up call the following day (before they even book a technician appointment). The time came and went - no phone call.

I call the phone number I was given in case of a missed call. Once again it's geared toward NBN signups........ not specifically what I want or need.

The NBN isn't ready and probably still won't be ready for quite some time, I'm not signing up for a service that's not operational in my area. I know other people have waited 6-8 months, some are still waiting 12+ months later. It's ridiculous.

When we got it we where told we need to get the NBN inside a Year as rest of the Internet Services be Turned Off

Funnily enough my adsl also started having issues and I was 'kindly' offered a package to move to NBN.

When we got it we where told we need to get the NBN inside a Year as rest of the Internet Services be Turned Off

I've heard of that, but don't think it's the same cut off date for everyone around the country (as it's being rolled out in stages etc). As far as I am aware the 12 month - 18 month period before the old service gets cut off, is timed to when they sent out the "ready for service" stuff in the mail.

Toward the end of 2016 was when we started getting the NBN information kits and "sign up now" spiels. People signed up when it wasn't even online! and when it did go online it was a pretty gimped experience (failed activations followed by slow internet speeds, drop outs etc).

They sent out fresh information kits toward the end of last year advising that you could no longer sign up until they had done more testing and "fixed" the issues + upgraded their technology.

which is currently illegal, you have 18 months before you are disconnected, Optus has already been done for lying about this

We got the NBN middle of this week.

I've gone from ADSL 2+ (2.5 Mbps) to FTTN (47.6 Mbps) for slightly less per month

Sod those who demanded FTTP* for every house or I'd still be waiting for years to come and right now I'm as happy as larry.

* FTTC should be the target technology for future rollouts. Barely more expensive than FTTN and far easier for future upgrade rollouts

I've gone from ADSL 2+ (2.5 Mbps) to FTTN (47.6 Mbps) for slightly less per month

Sod those who demanded FTTP* for every house or I'd still be waiting for years to come and right now I'm as happy as larry.

* FTTC should be the target technology for future rollouts. Barely more expensive than FTTN and far easier for future upgrade rollouts

But what about People who already got the s**t NBN(FraudBand)?

But what about People who already got the s**t NBN(FraudBand)?

The people who got fraudband need to take it up with their ISPs. The technology works but the problems that have been identified are related to the bandwidth purchased by the ISPs. Insufficient bandwidth means very slow traffic. FTTN, FTTC and FTTP all work. Some people i know got FTTP (technically the fastest solution) and still get very slow speeds and that can only be a bandwidth issue. Some got it solved by changing ISPs, some didn't change.

Use of existing networks such as HFC have resulted in problems but that is separate from most of the issues people have lodged with the TIC

The people who got fraudband need to take it up with their ISPs. The technology works but the problems that have been identified are related to the bandwidth purchased by the ISPs. Insufficient bandwidth means very slow traffic. FTTN, FTTC and FTTP all work. Some people i know got FTTP (technically the fastest solution) and still get very slow speeds and that can only be a bandwidth issue. Some got it solved by changing ISPs, some didn't change.

Use of existing networks such as HFC have resulted in problems but that is separate from most of the issues people have lodged with the TIC

Did and they did nothing

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What speeds are you getting? What speed is your modem synching with the node?

This what Comes up with Speed Test

7191601454.png

That is about the Average I get

This what Comes up with Speed Test

7191601454.png

That is about the Average I get

Go into your modem and see what speed it is synching with the network. For example mine is Synching around 90 Mbps but I'm on a 50 Mbps plan. Best I've got is 47 Mbps and worst is 42.

Also which plan are you one - 12, 25, 50 or 100? How far are you from the node?

Go into your modem and see what speed it is synching with the network. For example mine is Synching around 90 Mbps but I'm on a 50 Mbps plan. Best I've got is 47 Mbps and worst is 42.

Also which plan are you one - 12, 25, 50 or 100? How far are you from the node?

I have No Idea how to do that as 1st I heard of it.

How could I do it with a Netgear NightHawk Modem?

I have No Idea how to do that as 1st I heard of it.

How could I do it with a Netgear NightHawk Modem?

I'm not familiar with that one but looking at the manual, you can do a speedtest by logging on to the device, going into the QOS section. You should see a speedtest button there. My modem is a little different and shows me maximum link speeds

Moved into a place finished mid 2017, never had a house on its block before yet the NBN is average. Surely they ran fibre from the node onto the block/house? Or would they have still laid copper?

Moved into a place finished mid 2017, never had a house on its block before yet the NBN is average. Surely they ran fibre from the node onto the block/house? Or would they have still laid copper?

What equipment do you have on the wall? If you have 2 boxes, that should FTTP. Otherwise contact an ISP, they should be able to look up your address and see what technology is connected to your premises.

FTTN is a bit like ADSL, people on the same street can have different experiences based on how far from the node and the quality of the copper between the node and them

getting that dealt with so far seems to be difficult as the buck gets passed around if you get unlucky

If you move into a brand new house in a FTTN area you will have a copper lead in installed.

It sucks, but that's what Malcolm wants.

That's ******. I get it can be pricey to rip out old copper and lay fibre but in 2017 they still lay copper for new houses? Gee

Cause it's cheaper...for now.

Gotta save the $$ for those tax cuts to help out the struggling 1%ers.

That's debatable, they had to re run copper is some areas the existing infrastructure was that bad. FTTP model, copper was to be fully replaced. As it stands Copper is an interim measure that will eventually have to be replaced.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back