Delisted Michael Close (2012-2017)

Remove this Banner Ad

I agree 100%. What I don’t understand is why we didn’t give him an opportunity to play in defence. We gave Eagles every chance to develop as a defender yet ignored Close who had 5 years of development,is only 23 and has amazing aerobic capacity for his size as well as good speed and strength. I really think we have missed an opportunity with him,but I hope he has success elsewhere,particularly given his unfortunate injury issue.
I have heard Michael Close on a few occasions throughout his time in Lions colours say that he see's himself as a forward not a defender.
So if there has been an opportunity missed, it is more than likely he who has missed it, not the club. Although I tend to disagree with yourself and others and have never seen him as a defender.
Matt Eagles was sent back to defense, to give blokes like Michael Close, Johnno Freeman and Matt Hammelman all the opportunity to develop their own games in attack.
All had ample opportunity.

I have heard Michael Close on a few occasions throughout his time in Lions colours say that he see's himself as a forward not a defender.
So if there has been an opportunity missed, it is more than likely he who has missed it, not the club. Although I tend to disagree with yourself and others and have never seen him as a defender.
Matt Eagles was sent back to defense, to give blokes like Michael Close, Johnno Freeman and Matt Hammelman all the opportunity to develop their own games in attack.
All had ample opportunity.

If these sort of players look like fowards, play like forwards and are only ever selected as forwards, then there's a fair chance that is the bed they have made for themselves.

I know it sounds tough but if they've failed at their preferred craft, it really dosen't serve any purpose to engage in revisionism to suggest that they missed their true calling in life.

I wonder how many failed Engineering students ended up being successful Brain Surgeons?

I wonder how many failed Engineering students ended up being successful Brain Surgeons?

That's a pretty fallacious analogy though, because there are plenty of examples of forwards becoming successful defenders:
  • Bradshaw
  • Leppitsch
  • Merrett
  • Patfull
  • Tomlinson
  • Liam Jones
  • Hurley
  • Lonergan
And that's after a half-hearted glance through the teams.

I'm not saying this is the case for Close. His success or failure down back is independent of the success or failure of others, but it's not uncommon in AFL to make the switch.

That's a pretty fallacious analogy though, because there are plenty of examples of forwards becoming successful defenders:
  • Bradshaw
  • Leppitsch
  • Merrett
  • Patfull
  • Tomlinson
  • Liam Jones
  • Hurley
  • Lonergan
And that's after a half-hearted glance through the teams.

I'm not saying this is the case for Close. His success or failure down back is independent of the success or failure of others, but it's not uncommon in AFL to make the switch.
Very true.

Well If Close does get another chance I doubt he'd be demanding to play in the forward line. Hopefully taken a peg or two down with his delisting.

Either that or he has a better idea where his best position is than the groupthink on Bigfooty.

Either that or he has a better idea where his best position is than the groupthink on Bigfooty.
heard from a good source that he refused to put in "100% effort" and "didn't stick to team structures" when told to play in defence during his reserves games. Don't know why he wouldn't unless he was kicking up a stink. I reckon if given a chance the next time around he'll give it all he's got. If a coach says jump he will say how high even if that means playing in positions he doesn't want to.

Was surprised to hear SM's comments (not that I doubt them), considering Mick won the most professional player in the team 12 months ago. After coming back from such a serious injury I would have thought he would play ruck rover if asked.

I hope we bring him back but o struggle to find the list space and Walker has gone well past him

In a story on the AFL website:

"the Power would likely add delisted North Melbourne veteran Lindsay Thomas during Monday's rookie draft, while they were also considering former Brisbane Lions forward Michael Close."

Some hope for Close yet.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ex-Brisbane Lion Michael Close sues AFL over Etihad Stadium surface

SAFETY concerns about Etihad Stadium have emerged on the eve of the AFL season, with a former player launching legal action claiming its surface was dangerous and that it ended his career.

Former Brisbane player and number 32 draft pick Michael Close is suing the AFL, the Lions and the stadium, claiming the unsafe playing surface caused his ACL knee injury in round 2, 2015 — an injury from which he says he never fully recovered.

Close is particularly critical of the astroturf ring around the grassed area of the playing field.

If it were not for the injury, Close claims he would have earned $392,500 in 2017.

Close’s writ claims the Lions did not have regard “to the gravity and risk of injury” presented by the surface of the stadium and failed to provide a safe working environment.

Good on him. Hopefully they have to give him heaps of cash.

K. Well actually, i didn't say he shouldn't be compensated IF we and the afl were responsible. I dont think we were but that is his prerogative to ask. I was merely insinuating that his ACL did not contribute to his career finishing early.

I'm inclined to think it did as his mobility definitely took a dip from the injury. Would it have been the difference in a long AFL career? Probably not. Would no injury have made him a better player? Quite likely.

It is also worth noting there had already been safety concerns about this very issue before he did his ACL which shows they were negligent to say the least.

I'm inclined to think it did as his mobility definitely took a dip from the injury. Would it have been the difference in a long AFL career? Probably not. Would no injury have made him a better player? Quite likely.

It is also worth noting there had already been safety concerns about this very issue before he did his ACL which shows they were negligent to say the least.
Plenty of AFL players do their ACL's and l can't think of any off the top of my head that was the primary cause of their career ending. Close couldn't get a place in the 22 with the worst team in the comp for years. There were issues he needed to work on which is why he was in the NEAFL a lot. H eoculdn't clunk any marks was a big reason why he wasn't working as a forward and there were rumours that he didn't want to be trialed as a defender.

Pretty sure they did an investigation right after the incident and they found that the Astro turf was not the cause of his ACL.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back