Father/Son Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

...There's been a few

Ablett, Jon Brown, Bowden, Cousins, Daniher*,Dempster, Darcy, Ebert, Picken*, Fletcher, Mitchell*, Molloy, McIntosh, Richardson, Shaw(2), Silvagni, Scarlett, Watson, Wallis* Cornes (2), Robram(2), Williams, Whitnall, Viney*
Looks a lot when you name all these but it's really only one in five hundred that works out (a guess of course)

Also its not like all on those list are champion players.

Nah wont have that, at their time, the old man were considered guns...which was the perimeter.. Then how many sons were as good as their old man..

.I didn't put... Bunton, Bourke, Hudson, Libba, Whitten, Murphy, Tuck, Cloke, Round or Jewell.

Last edited:

Nah wont have that, at their time, the old man were considered guns...which was the perimeter.. Then how many sons were as good as their old man..

.I didn't put... Bunton, Bourke, Hudson, Libba, Whitten, Murphy, Tuck, Cloke, Round or Jewell.
How about the miraculous Sammy Sheldon?

Sorry was talking about the sons

Sorry was talking about the sons

No need to apologise it's an interesting debate...Are they as good as their old man?... different eras.. different style of play.....Would the sons have got a gig then? IMO, more than likely, putting a professional athlete of today with all the trimmings of sports science and fitness against the plain old natural ability and endurance to see out a full game, as there was hardly any rotation back then ...Managing player fatigue was usually done through the pockets..

Would the old man get a gig now and how much better would they have been with all the trimmings of todays sports science and fitness and rotation?...Take Tom Mitchell for example, he is looking to be a far better player than his old man...Barry was a gun at Sydney, played 170 games between 84-92...However struggled to get into the midfield at Collingwood 13 games in 93 and at Carlton 38 games between 94 -96...Had rotation been used more frequently to todays standards would he have been named as the fourth interchange and got more senior games?

Last edited:
Interesting that Lachie Harris was up training with the club again this pre-season. He comes across as very young and maybe they figure he still has some late development in him (more than his peers I mean). Or maybe it's just because of his dad. Lovely kid though.

I don't know about what kind of ability he has, but gee Casey Voss moves like his father, even his mannerisms during the interview. #Mini-Me

Just fuzz your eyes when watching the video (or if you're like me, take off your spectacles) and lo and behold, it's Michael - back training:)

Good luck to all the our suns of guns!

Adrian fletcher's son apparently goes alright
Catch up with the Fletchers each Christmas and young Jasper is definitely on a few radars. Currently in the lions academy under 14s.Beautiful skills and great handball like his old man apparently. 50 50 with basketball at minute I'm led to believe. Talented at any sport he picks up as currently completing a cricket scholarship with school. Good kid.

James Rendell named as vice-captain of the Sandringham Dragons TAC Cup side. Hopefully it is a sign that he has shown something on the track this preseason. Will be interested to monitor his progress.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Victorian U15 side of 2018 has been revealed.

Nathan Basile.
Connor McDonald.
Matthew Payne.
Michael Ktona.
Elijah Tstatas.
Henry Brown.
Ryan Martin.
Scott Beilby.
Josh Ward.
Josh Rachele.
Sam Breuer.
Ben Hobbs.
Joshua Sinn.
Jak Tute.
Indy Parish. (Youngest of Darcy's 3 brothers.)
Jake Hodgkin.
Campbell Chesser.
Alistair O'Donnell.
Braden Andrews.
Nathaniel Dear. (Son of Paul Dear and younger brother of Harry.)
Ned Long.
Joshua Gibcus.
Charlie Molan.
Nicholas Salmon.
Justin Davies.

EMERGENCIES:

Finn Murphy.
Bendict Andrews.
Patrick Dozzi.
Noah Bradshaw.

I'm pretty sure Noah is the second son of Daniel Bradshaw.

Extra dumb to put all that time into being good enough at basketball to be let down by not doing well enough or possibly finishing school.

Father-son
Brisbane

Named in Murray's bests in three of their first four games, Jake Bradshaw (son of Daniel) has had some promising moments. Bradshaw, a 187cm a midfielder, is a damaging ball user and gets it moving forward quickly. He is a possible late or rookie selection.

Kicking eight goals through the first four rounds for Sandringham, James Rendell (son of Matt) has shown glimpses as a 198cm relieving ruckman who plays predominantly forward. Rendell is another who Brisbane may consider as a late or rookie selection.

Named in Sturt's bests in four of their first six matches in the SANFL Under-18s, Casey Voss (son of Michael) has been effective through the midfield. He has not dropped below 20 disposals over the past four weeks and is a quickly improving player who may be a late or rookie consideration.
http://www.espn.com.au/afl/story/_/...******-knightmare-father-son-academy-analysis

Interesting if we got them all late in the draft.

"Late or rookie", IMO, is better interpreted as "unlikely to be drafted".

There's not many that are predicted to be taken that late that actually are. Either they perform (and move up) or don't (and don't get drafted). The kids who actually get taken "late or rookie" tend to be the ones moderately rated now but slide.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back