• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, SSC Napoli, ESH
With the way the first week of finals has fallen, there's massive potential for some rivalries new and old to fire up again

First week

Sydney Derby, could be an interesting contest if both teams get a few soldiers back
Melbourne vs Geelong, the two oldest clubs in the comp and have already played two ripsnorters this year, all the right ingredients for a great elimination final here
Richmond vs Hawthorn, have never played each other in a final, yet are geographically proximate to each other, can a rivalry emerge here?
West Coast and Collingwood have played a few finals over the years too

Second week
If Geelong beats Melbourne then they'll play Hawthorn, their traditional rival, or Richmond a recent rival and biggest Bigfooty shitfight at the moment

On the flipside Melbourne could play Richmond if results go that way and this rivalry has developed the last ten years or so starting when both teams were rock bottom like the Jordan McMahon after the siren goal, then going on with the new Anzac Eve game, while a Melbourne Hawthorn semi final would be great to see after their merger war from 96 and how far both teams have came for various reasons

There's potential for a West Coast and Sydney semi final also and who could forget their battles under the Roos/Worsfold era

We will have to wait and see how the dominoes fall, but this September there will be massive potential for new rivalries to emerge/consolidate upon and old rivalries to reemerge.

Agreed on the rivalry thoughts. It's gonna be a cracking finals series.

After a fairly lackluster season I am actually frothing at the first week of the finals.

Richmond Vs Hawthorn:
First time they have ever met in finals, and with Clarko at the helm anything is possible.

West Coast Vs Collingwood:
Two massive & proud clubs, both hit hard by injuries. Collingwood won't fear travelling. Reminiscent of Bulldogs 2016 who played Freo in Perth in the final round and then went back to play the Eagles week 1 of finals.

Melbourne Vs Geelong:
The two oldest clubs in the league, both hitting great form at the right time, and both their games have been crackers this year. My prediction is that whoever wins this will make it all the way to the grand final.

Sydney Vs GWS:
Sydney Derby. Enough said.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yep, those fixtures couldn't have worked out much better. Maybe swap Collingwood and Hawthorn to see Pies v Richmond in week 1, but that is nitpicking, Hawthorn Richmond should still be a belter.

Sydney derby isn’t a strong rivalry. Next to no rivalry between Rich and Haw, Melb and Geelong & West Coast and Collingwood.

Strange thread.
OP also alluded to all the potential match ups in the second week of finals to to be fair e.g. West Coast v Sydney, Geelong v Hawthorn etc.

Sydney derby isn’t a strong rivalry. Next to no rivalry between Rich and Haw, Melb and Geelong & West Coast and Collingwood.

Strange thread.
Yet the likes of Essendon vs Richmond is considered a massive rivalry within your fan base all because of an Uncle Kevin idea that Vlad and co lapped up as a money maker :rolleyes::drunk:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Strange thread.

Geelong and West Coast do have that finals rivalry. I'm sure Cats fans hate the fact we beat them twice, like we hate the fact the Hawks have beat us twice in the gf. Were two powerhouses in the early-mid 90s.

After a fairly lackluster season I am actually frothing at the first week of the finals.

Richmond Vs Hawthorn:
First time they have ever met in finals, and with Clarko at the helm anything is possible.

West Coast Vs Collingwood:
Two massive & proud clubs, both hit hard by injuries. Collingwood won't fear travelling. Reminiscent of Bulldogs 2016 who played Freo in Perth in the final round and then went back to play the Eagles week 1 of finals.

Melbourne Vs Geelong:
The two oldest clubs in the league, both hitting great form at the right time, and both their games have been crackers this year. My prediction is that whoever wins this will make it all the way to the grand final.

Sydney Vs GWS:
Sydney Derby. Enough said.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Bulldogs lost to Freo - so that means Pies will lose to the Eagles? ;)

Strange thread.

Actually been quite good for a rivalry between two teams in a non traditionally AFL city as the two have been good the past few years. Already played two finals, which is incredible when Richmond and Hawthorn have never played one. Working class Western Sydney vs posh eastern Sydney would add fire to the rivalry.

Yet the likes of Essendon vs Richmond is considered a massive rivalry within your fan base all because of an Uncle Kevin idea that Vlad and co lapped up as a money maker :rolleyes::drunk:
What does Essendon have to do with it?

OP also alluded to all the potential match ups in the second week of finals to to be fair e.g. West Coast v Sydney, Geelong v Hawthorn etc.
Geelong vs Hawthorn yes. West Coast vs Sydney is dead. Collingwood vs Sydney is more interesting.
Even that, it's not uncommon for there to be 2-3 matches between rivals every finals series.

Actually been quite good for a rivalry between two teams in a non traditionally AFL city as the two have been good the past few years. Already played two finals, which is incredible when Richmond and Hawthorn have never played one. Working class Western Sydney vs posh eastern Sydney would add fire to the rivalry.
That really is insane - Hawthorn v Richmond final for the first time in their 94 years in the same comp, GWS v Sydney final for the second time in their 7 years in the same comp.
Edit: second time for GWS v Sydney, not third.

Last edited:
You made a largely ignorant comment without understanding my whole post, as pointed out by that Melbourne poster, so I made a point of an absolutely wank "rivalry" involving your team as a rebuttal
A finals series of rivalries literally featuring one basically manufactured Sydney rivalry in the first week with the "potential" of having maybe Hawthorn vs Geelong cross path?

That's hardly a finals series of rivalries. Not ignorant pointing that out.

That really is insane - Hawthorn v Richmond final for the first time in their 94 years in the same comp, GWS v Sydney final for the third time in their 7 years in the same comp.

Boggles the mind. I was also surprised we've already played 5 vs the Pies. Knew we'd played a few but forget how many.

We're also 25 vs 23 head to head against the Pies now, which pleases me.

Back