Intimate finals series

Remove this Banner Ad

PieLebo87

Hall of Famer
Veteran A Star Wars Fan 10k Posts Cake Connoisseur
Sep 14, 2005
I’m sure there’s plenty of this in the past, but feels like there is a lot of ‘romance’ this finals series with players and coaches facing their old clubs throughout.

- Kingsley, a former premiership player, coached against his old side tonight for a Prelim spot.

- Voss, a former premiership player, coaches against his old side in a Prelim.

- Finlayson, a Grand Final player, played against his old side for a spot in the Prelim.

- Jeremy Howe played against his old side for a spot in the Prelim.

- Brodie Grundy, a former Grand Final player, missed a chance to play off against his old side for a spot in the Prelim.

- Nic Newman played off against his old side for a spot in a Semi Final last week.

- George Hewitt played off against his old side for a spot in a Semi Final last week.

- If the Pies get up on Friday, and the Lions Saturday, McCrae, a former premiership player, could be playing off for a Premiership against his old side.

Just found it interesting there are 3 coaches who’ve had to/may have to face off against their old premiership team’s for a chance at another flag.

I reckon I might’ve left out a few other players too.

Also play off against each other, 19 years on from when they were players in the 2004 GF:

IMG_2578.jpeg

Last edited:
I’m sure there’s plenty of this in the past, but feels like there is a lot of ‘romance’ this finals series with players and coaches facing their old clubs throughout.

- Kingsley, a former premiership player, coached against his old side tonight for a Prelim spot.

- Voss, a former premiership player, coaches against his old side in a Prelim.

- Finlayson, a Grand Final player, played against his old side for a spot in the Prelim.

- Jeremy Howe played against his old side for a spot in the Prelim.

- Brodie Grundy, a former Grand Final player, missed a chance to play off against his old side for a spot in the Prelim.

- Nic Newman played off against his old side for a spot in a Semi Final last week.

- George Hewitt played off against his old side for a spot in a Semi Final last week.

- If the Pies get up on Friday, and the Lions Saturday, McCrae, a former premiership player, could be playing off for a Premiership against his old side.

Just found it interesting there are 3 coaches who’ve had to/may have to face off against their old premiership team’s for a chance at another flag.

I reckon I might’ve left out a few other players too.
Mcstay and brissy too....should he play in a GF
If doch plays, he'll up against his old side as well.

Is it just me, or there’s a lot more of this going on this finals series?
Nature of the business

But it is notable a lot of coaches are from that early 2000s era of GFs

Voss, scott x2, mcrae, kingsley, hardwick.
Could even throw simmo and longmire in from 99

Remains my favourite era of football (99-06).

Nature of the business

But it is notable a lot of coaches are from that early 2000s era of GFs

Voss, scott x2, mcrae, kingsley, hardwick.
Could even throw simmo and longmire in from 99

Remains my favourite era of football (99-06).

Hawthorn’s 4 flags from ‘08-‘15 coaching apprentice (Fages) v Lion’s 3peat captain (Voss) in one 1 Prelim then Dimma’s B2B coaching apprentice (Kingsley) v Lion’s 3peater/Dimma’s 3 flag coaching apprentice (Fly) in the other Prelim.

Does this year’s flag decide once and for all which of the dominant Lions, Hawks and Tigers dynasty was the greatest once and for all? 😂

Remove this Banner Ad

Back