Which Grand Final or Big Final was the '' one that got away '' For your Team?

Remove this Banner Ad

I always put 1972 GF into this category. Carlton and Richmond finished 1-2 on the ladder, 3 games clear of 3rd. Richmond beat Carlton twice in H&A. Drew the second semi, and Richmond comfortable won the replay. Carlton completely changed their ganme style for the GF - and it came off off. Percy Jones full-time first ruck (which he hadn't played all year), Nicholls permanent forward (kicked 6 - previous best for the year was 3). Add that to their amazing accuracy on the day (28.9).

It's one of those - 'play the game 10 times and Richmond win it 8 times'. Not this one.

John Nicholls admitted that the blues would have lost the grand final if they didn’t implement those game plan changes and positional moves (they made 8 moves).
If the blues won the second semi draw they may not have made those changes for the grand final and kept the players in the same positions as that helped the blues finish on top of the ladder.

Tom Hafey mentioned in a documentary that the tigers were critical of their defence during the year because it lacked versatility and they played players in the backline who were not really defenders. He was probably referring to players such as Dick Clay and Ray Boyanich.
During the season the tigers conceded 24 goals against the Saints at Moorabbin and 25 against the Cats at the MCG. Nicholls may have reflected on those games when planning for the grand final and instructed the team to play an attacking game.

The subsequent emergence of Merv Keane and the recruitment of players such as Robert McGhie and Gareth Andrews helped balance the tiger side better over the next couple of years.

Last edited:
I always put 1972 GF into this category. Carlton and Richmond finished 1-2 on the ladder, 3 games clear of 3rd. Richmond beat Carlton twice in H&A. Drew the second semi, and Richmond comfortable won the replay. Carlton completely changed their ganme style for the GF - and it came off off. Percy Jones full-time first ruck (which he hadn't played all year), Nicholls permanent forward (kicked 6 - previous best for the year was 3). Add that to their amazing accuracy on the day (28.9).

It's one of those - 'play the game 10 times and Richmond win it 8 times'. Not this one.

Interesting piece of side trivia from the 1972 Grand Final - it is the first and to this day only time that Carlton have played in a match with a 300 point match aggregate score. Considering Carlton has had some formidable scoring teams in the past and has been involved in some high-scoring matches over the years, this is quite extraordinary.

I remember Carlton were not even favorites in the 1979 2nd semi because of their past finals records. Out in straight sets 1975, 1976 and 1978.

Then in 1980 it happened again.

We won an elimination final against the Cats in 1978 but our finals record was still not good between 1975-78.

We had a great season in 1979, finished on top with a 19-3 record and scored over 100 points in 21 games. I cannot remember who was favourite in the second semi but during the season I feared what Barassi could do as a coach in the finals and North Melbourne were experienced and playing as well as they did in the previous 5 years if not better.
I was surprised that North lost the Prelim to the pies.

We won an elimination final against the Cats in 1978 but our finals record was still not good between 1975-78.

We had a great season in 1979, finished on top with a 19-3 record and scored over 100 points in 21 games. I cannot remember who was favourite in the second semi but during the season I feared what Barassi could do as a coach in the finals and North Melbourne were experienced and playing as well as they did in the previous 5 years if not better.
I was surprised that North lost the Prelim to the pies.

Felt most sorry for Gary Dempsey never got to play in a Grand Final and immortalized on VHS and DVD.

In order of most painful to farkin annoying;

2021. I thought wed won it by half way through the third. Then the Dees turned it on, we fell apart and they deserved to win it. But losing the biggest game of the year is always gonna be "the one that got away"

The farkin prelims. Forever falling over at the last hurdle. 85, 97 and 09 hurt the most.

And then the 2015 elimination final where turncoat Tahlia gave away the game plan.

I was left stunned in the first half. Just didn't expect it. Unfortunately for your team, Cox had one of the greatest marking games I've seen. He's never been able to replicate it although serviceable.
Wasn’t just Cox though.
Sidebottom was immense.
Hardwick was too pig headed to change the game plan and put someone on him when it was obvious in the first quarter he was just doing as he pleased.

had a mate whose dad played in the 99' and 96' prelim for the dons. he said those two 1pt losses changed the whole culture at the club and what mainly sparked the famous 2000 dons campaign

Not Grand Finals that got away from us, but here are some Grand Final Match-ups we got close on getting that had not happened before:

1976 - Carlton losing the Preliminary to North meant we missed a first Grand Final between co-tennents Hawthorn vs Carlton. We had to wait till 1986 for the first time for this to happen.

1978 - If Collingwood could have overcome North in the Preliminary we would had our first Hawthorn vs Collingwood Grand Final. Still yet to happen.

1979 - If favorites North had beaten Collingwood in the Preliminary we would had the first Carlton vs North Melbourne Grand Final. We had to wait till 1999 for this to happen.

1981 - If Geelong could have beaten Collingwood in the Preliminary we would have had our first Carlton vs Geelong Grand Final. We had to wait till 1995.

1982 - If Hawthorn could have beaten Carlton in the Preliminary we would have our first Richmond vs Hawthorn Grand Final. Still hasn’t happened.

1983 - If Fitzroy had just won one final game then we probably seen the first Hawthorn vs Fitzroy Grand Final. Still hasn’t happened, not even with Brisbane Lions.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back