If You Could Change 1 Grand Final Result - For Your Team or Other - Which Would It Be???

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes, it was tough in the school grounds after all the GF losses, especially being one of the only Cats supporters at my school in the outer east of Melbourne. They gave it to me.

We weren't greedy. We just wanted 1.

Then these average clubs like Adelaide come from nowhere and win 2! It was truly like a knife in the heart.
My school was nearly all hawks with the sprinkling of eagle fans.
Yes eagles fans before they won a flag. Was truly bizarre and very annoying indeed.

Just one? Haha Collingwood lost 27 Grand Finals and drawn two as well. Have to say 1970 was the big one. Carlton weren't worth a pinch of s**t that year, limped into the Grand Final with an average losing margin vs us of about 9 goals, first quarter our centurion goal kicker McKenna (averaging 6 a game vs Carlton) and our best midfielder Tuddy clashed heads, both were concussed and barely awake for three and a half quarters. Still up by 40+ points at half time. Unluckiest loss of all time.

As a neutral the beautiful Blight Geelong sides deserved a flag, the defense was too small and the midfield one way but they made footy beautiful to watch. Tried to be tough in 89 (no way they were winning that, it was 6 points but those were 6 behinds, Hawthorn pwned them), maybe one of the eagles flags? 92 or 94? eagles worked incredibly hard to win those after being shamed by Hawthorn in 1991, it would be unjust to rob them. Can we give Geelong 1993?

I would reverse Collingwood's 1990 win.

I reckon they wouldnt exist as a team today if they never won that flag.
Interesting theory considering the wilderness Richmond were in. Big clubs never go away, they just go very quiet and start focusing about other things. I know so many WC fans who aren't talking about footy anymore.

Geelong aside, I thought 2018 was one the biggest heartbreakers one could ever imagine. I felt genuine sadness for the Pies to have it stolen at the death like that, but what a kick!

As many others have said, Saints 09/10 was very very heartbreaking as well.

I felt genuine joy. I was watching it on a train from Budapest to Prague and got a lot of strange looks from Hungarians and Czechs when I cheered out loud when Sheed kicked that goal.

My team: Definitely 2001 - was hoping that side would go back-to-back.

Other side: 2012 - was at that game, felt sorry for Freo.

1926 - would’ve meant Collingwood had done 5 in a row. At least 4 in a row will never be repeated, so we’ll always hold that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mine would be 1992. Finished top, nearly 5 goals up in the Grand Final, 17 points up early in the third, then got obliterated. West Coast only had 4 goalkickers that day. Sumich 6, Matera 5, Evans 3 and Wilson 2.
Really the only Grand Final where Geelong controlled the game on the scoreboard for a half or so and lost.
_____
1989 was just a beautiful game, and Geelong's 2nd finish was deserving relative to Hawthorn's team at the time. The game should not be touched, and sealed in a vault.

2008 - Geelong were beaten all day. Hawthorn's defensive pressure was telling, and Geelong's poor injury management was costly.

1971. "Sliding Doors" moment. If Bob Keddie had been subbed off at 3/4 time, Saints win! They then go on to become a VFL/AFL force. Hawthorn remain the perpeptual loosers, still with only one Premiership!

For Dons: 01, cos i was there and that era deserved at least 2 flags
For another side: '96. Plugger should have won a flag.
1996 was an interesting season for essendon fans in the finals.

No club in history lost 2 finals in the same season by a point.

I dont know if Essendon would of won the 1996 grand final vs North. Essendon has injuries that season.

1996 was an interesting season for essendon fans in the finals.

No club in history lost 2 finals in the same season by a point.

I dont know if Essendon would of won the 1996 grand final vs North. Essendon has injuries that season.
Doubt it. That was a bloody good north side
We'd have beaten the 99 side though

2017. * that result.

If not Adelaide, either 2004 for spiteful reasons, 2016 because the Dogs getting any success is just not cricket in my eyes, or 2023 because it would have been a better world with a Collingwood loss.

1977 (the first one)

- It would have been an epic turnaround to go from wooden spooners one season (76) to Premiers the next (77).

- There would have still been some significant penance paid (lost 60, 64, 66, 70 GF’s) but the Colliwobbles wouldn’t have truly set in. Better chance of winning 79, 80, and/or 81.

- It would have been a real “FU” from Hafey to Richmond

- Collingwood would have stayed ahead on the Premiership count ahead of Carlton and Essendon for a while longer.

2013 for obvious reasons but excluding that one, I'd change one of 1992 or 94. Not so much because of the Eagles, more so for Geelong. 4 grand finals in 6 years and lost all of them, I can't imagine what it was like being a Geelong fan back then.

2017. * that result.

If not Adelaide, either 2004 for spiteful reasons, 2016 because the Dogs getting any success is just not cricket in my eyes, or 2023 because it would have been a better world with a Collingwood loss.
The upside of that result in 2017 is that it exposed the culture at your club. Adelaide’s in a much better place now having come out the back of that.

A flag may have allowed it to be passed off as ‘success at all costs’.

I'm gonna go different to most here and not name my own club, as I truly believe 08' and '20 - which are the flags I most wish we'd won -, needed to happen.

Without '08, we don't have the drive to win '09. At 3/4 time in the '09 Grand Final, our senior players said in the huddle to remember the pain from the previous year and not to let this one slip. Was one of the great Grand Finals, and one of the great finishes.

In '20, we dominated at the start but our style still always left the door open for Richmond to what they did best - particularly Dusty. Had we not lost that GF and had Scott finally not gotten his ego checked, we likely don't change our gamestyle and strategy of constantly topping up, which could have landed us in a much worse off position. As it stands, we turned to youth and then post '21 got another reality check and made sure to change everything about our coaching structure, game plan, and attitude around the club. 2022 then became one of the greatest years in our history, sending off a legend of our club in fairytale style.

For this reason, my biggest regret like a couple of others have said, is the replayed 2010 Grand Final. That game was epic, and it deserved extra time. Having it be a blowout the following week and marring the spectacle of the previous week, meant that we missed out on seeing what could have been the greatest modern era Grand Final finish of all time - by having a drawn game go into extra time. Alas, not to be.

1977 (the first one)

- It would have been an epic turnaround to go from wooden spooners one season (76) to Premiers the next (77).

- There would have still been some significant penance paid (lost 60, 64, 66, 70 GF’s) but the Colliwobbles wouldn’t have truly set in. Better chance of winning 79, 80, and/or 81.

- It would have been a real “FU” from Hafey to Richmond

- Collingwood would have stayed ahead on the Premiership count ahead of Carlton and Essendon for a while longer.
Think Hafey stuck it to Graeme Richmond, specially from 1977 to 1979 where the Tigers got nowhere near beating the Magpies.

If he got Magpies up in 1977 and 1980 we be discussing him as the greatest ever coach.

Still absolute legend!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back