If You Could Change 1 Grand Final Result - For Your Team or Other - Which Would It Be???

Remove this Banner Ad

MrRockett24

Team Captain
May 23, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Geelong Cats Geelong Cats
Being a Geelong supporter my whole life, I have lived to see the 6x Losses of 89, 92, 94, 95, 08, 20.....and the 4x Wins of 07,09,11,22.

A discussion with mates revolved around, which Game, and then which GF would you love to change the result of whether it be your team or not. Result would have No ramifications on future Games/Grandfinals - meaning future winners would remain so.

Personally, I struggle between 3 Geelong ones and which I would choose - if Magic Genie.

1989 - For that Group/Era to have gotten 1.
2008 - Would have been an 07,08,09 - 3 Peat
2020 - Really felt this one slipped through the cracks and would have rounded out that era with Abletts Retirement.

Would like to know what others others would change and a reason for why...or even a particular game that they would change the result of.

For me 2008 is the one that will forever be the "öne that got away" Just wish i could go to the quarter time huddle and speak to the Geelong players and say 3 things

1. Get on Luke Hodge
2. Your going to get 10 scoring shot this quarter make them count
Chappy, Moons and Otto your going to each have shots in time on dont panic

3 After Half time someone needs to take care of Stewart Bloody Dew

2012 because I experienced it, and it would've given us a 4-peat.

Going back though to before my time, 1987 would've also done the same, and would've made the 80s Hawks the unarguable goat team.

84 or 85, so that we could have one over Essendon 😜

Either the 1991 or 2015 GF against the Hawks, as we're 0-2 against the Hawks, whereas we did get one over Sydney. I'd rather say we've beaten 4 teams in a grand final. We were the best team in 1991 (though I was too young to remember) and did beat the Hawks in the 2015 QF (albeit in Perth).

As for non Eagles games, definitely the 2010 GF. The ball bounces for Stephen Milne and he snaps a goal to win it. Feel for Saints fans.

89 - that team was flying and made footy just stupid fun to watch... but was hard as at it too.

And yeah.. GAS earned 1 and never got it. Would have been fitting but not to be.

GO Catters

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Won't include Hawthorn results.

2009. St.Kilda thoroughly deserved slle reward during that period, for themselves and their supporters.

2021. Dogs fans could say they've lived through the best era in the clubs history.
Bontempelli, who I rate as the best player in the game, wins a Norm Smith and becomes a premiership captain if you restart the game from his massive goal in the third quarter.

1990 was more painful than 2001, so that would be my first pick.

For GF's involving other teams, I'd change 2010. Would have loved to see the saints get up.

2007 - if things had gone our way we could have won that.

In all seriousness, if choco had decided to just plug the game up after it was obvious we were done, I think we wouldn't have ended in the 2010-2011 doldrums. Flood the backline and choke the game up and lose by 60 and no one cares.

Involving non port teams, I would probably give last year's to Sydney. I really didn't want that Geelong group to win one as I find them and extremely annoying bunch of campaigners.

The saints not getting over the line always felt like a bit of an injustice.

2007 - if things had gone our way we could have won that.

In all seriousness, if choco had decided to just plug the game up after it was obvious we were done, I think we wouldn't have ended in the 2010-2011 doldrums. Flood the backline and choke the game up and lose by 60 and no one cares.
Port defeated Geelong at KP in round 21 of 2007. I think most people gave you a chance in the grand final.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back