If you could change one result from the past, what would be?

Remove this Banner Ad

Looking at underrated/dark horse options, could be the famous 2013 qualifying final against Freo. Not sure if it would have ultimately made the difference against Hawthorn (with huge injury problems with our key forward and ruck stocks), I just think it was a really strong year overall and people forget that we were a bloody good team that year. Just a bit of bad luck at the wrong time and came up against a team who matched up really well against us during that era and they came over to our dung heap and did the business on us.

Saints fans are genuinely the stiffest in history
On reflection, the 2009 GF "toe poke" and/or the 2010 GF "Ball Bounce" were very emotional outcomes for Saints supporters, but the 1971 GF "Sliding Doors" moment would be the one that I would absolutely change. Had Bob Keddie been subbed off at 3/4 time with only 4 possessions, Saints win! They then go on to become a VFL/AFL force. Hawthorn remain the "perennial loosers", still with only one Premiership and countless hard luck stories!

Last edited:
2014 GF, we were a better side than Hawthorn and they belted us.
I had the best seats in the house to watch it

I'm going with a very historical result, and not about a match.

We know in 1925 the VFL welcomed Footscray, Hawthorn and North Melbourne from the VFA. But what if North had been denied entry? Arden Street was named off limits to the VFL back in 1921, when Essendon tried to shift there and the VFA complained to the Melbourne City Council, but they reversed the decision in this case.

It's suggested Prahran would have been chosen instead, and I'd be interested to see what would have happened.

The West Coast v Sydney 2006 QF - famous O'Loughlin goal and stare down if the Eagle cheer squad

If the Eagles won that, it sends Sydney over to Adel for the prelim and we avoid the Ben Cousins show in the 2nd half when he had some kind of substance help at half time

Ofcourse, Likely to have had to face the Eagles in the GF anyways, but that always felt like a 'what if' moment

Wanted to pick a game that wasn't involving my team but ultimately affected us

The West Coast v Sydney 2006 QF - famous O'Loughlin goal and stare down if the Eagle cheer squad

If the Eagles won that, it sends Sydney over to Adel for the prelim and we avoid the Ben Cousins show in the 2nd half when he had some kind of substance help at half time

Ofcourse, Likely to have had to face the Eagles in the GF anyways, but that always felt like a 'what if' moment

Substance help 😂, was simply too good

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My Hangover after the 2013 GF -
I flew back into Perth that same night with every intention (after a win) of running down the main St of Freo, GF ticket in hand shouting “I was there F$#kers!
As it was I was crying into a airplane sick bag….
Bloody Hawthorn!!🤣

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Any of Collingwood's Grand Final losses between 1960 and 2018 espeically 1966, 1970, 1979, 2002 and of course 2018. 2018 hurts the most as we were up by 5 goals then lost by under a kick. At least we made up for it in 2023 winning our 16th flag and the sweetest victory of them all.

But you were a West Coast supporter at the time 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

1983 QF. If the umpires presumed Michael Nettlefolds "deliberate" was not too disimilar to Michael Tuck(?)s attempt 30 seconds prior and allowed play to resume - leading to a Fitzroy win.
Then Fitzroy proceed to a PF game agsinst an out of form North Melbourne where a GF awaits.
Sliding doors? Who knows.

2007 Prelim was the Grand Final.

Sometimes it ends up like that cause of the finals system.
Grand Final was 1 v 2. Port had beaten both Geelong (at Kardinia) and Collingwood (at the MCG) that season as well and were worthy of a grand final spot.

We unfortunately didn't rock up on the day for whatever reason and just got absolutely blown out of the water, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't have been there in the first place.

Many Eagles fans will say the 2005 Grand Final but you know what, Sydney and West Coast halved the 2005-2006 epics and I didn't mind the club and most of its players winning a flag. Same with Hawthorn 1991, the last salute of their golden generation.

It's 2015 that grates on me more, I was actually confident we could do them over even if it was the MCG.

You have a recent Grand Final loss and you went with that?

Let's face it, Neil Craig was like Ken Hinkley - a talented squad, could easily take deep into finals with your eyes closed, but could never get to the last Saturday in September for reasons.

2000 Qualifying Final versus Melbourne. Erase that final quarter and a Brad Green masterclass, and it would have then been an Essendon versus Carlton Grand Final.

You have a recent Grand Final loss and you went with that?

Let's face it, Neil Craig was like Ken Hinkley - a talented squad, could easily take deep into finals with your eyes closed, but could never get to the last Saturday in September for reasons.
I disagree about Neil Craig was like Ken Hinkley. Far from it.

I know exactly why the crows couldnt and didnt make the Grand final in either 2005 or 2006. I wont deny the crows are a talented squad. However....

Crows Backline: Very good

Crows midfield: elite

Crows forward line: Average and I am being generous about saying that. Trent Henschel was a ver good tall forward but the crows chances dropped massively when he did get injured.

Other crows in that 2005-6 era that filled the forward line spots was Jason Porplyzia, Mark Stevens, Scott Welsh, Kris Massie and Ian Perrie.

If Anything, Neil Craigs finals side of 2005-09 was similar to ross lyons freos finals sides of 2012-5

Grand Final was 1 v 2. Port had beaten both Geelong (at Kardinia) and Collingwood (at the MCG) that season as well and were worthy of a grand final spot.

We unfortunately didn't rock up on the day for whatever reason and just got absolutely blown out of the water, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't have been there in the first place.
Our record against the top 6 that year was very good.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back