What was one moment that changed an entire game?

Remove this Banner Ad

Dusty's goal before half time in 2020.

Cats dominated but it was only 15 points. Brought back memories from the prelim the year before too. Richmond were an insanely great football team and watching Dusty in his prime was as good as any I've seen in the game. When he was on song, he was unstoppable.

Clearest example I can recall is Chris Bryan’s abysmal awareness in the 2007 prelim.

Horrific.

All 5 pixels of footage.
Crows were the new franchise, AFLHQ keen to see you get success, even the finals fixture that year worked in your favour. Any other year you would have been out and never made a prelim

1973 prelim final.

Royce Hart, having been crippled all year by a knee injury wasn't expected to play, but was named on the bench (emergency, no interchange) 'just in case'.

At half time, Richmond are 36 pts down, and after a heated debate, decide to bring him on against the club doctor's advice.

He kicks a goal to start off the qtr and his leadership helps carry the team to a 7 point win.

They went on to win the flag the next week.

Bulldogs vs St Kilda, Round 6, 2015.

Dogs were cruising at roughly 50 points up on the stroke of half time before Clay Smith popped his ACL for the 3rd time a few seconds before the siren. The Bulldogs did get the first goal after half time but then fell apart, with St Kilda reeling in a 55 point deficit almost before the 3rd quarter was even over.

I've never witnessed a game turn so much as this one after a single incident.

View attachment 1891565
I would say this as well.

Dogs seemed so deflated after the injury, compared to my mob which came out with energy.

1973 prelim final.

Royce Hart, having been crippled all year by a knee injury wasn't expected to play, but was named on the bench (emergency, no interchange) 'just in case'.

At half time, Richmond are 36 pts down, and after a heated debate, decide to bring him on against the club doctor's advice.

He kicks a goal to start off the qtr and his leadership helps carry the team to a 7 point win.

They went on to win the flag the next week.

Tom Hafey “If you bring him on now you won’t have him for the Grand Final”

Graeme Richmond “We won’t get to the ******* Grand Final if he doesn’t come on!”

In a night match in Round 19 2004, premiership contenders the Sydney Swans led mid-ladder team North Melbourne by 40 points at three quarter time, only for the Kangaroos to mount an astonishing comeback in the final quarter to beat the Swans by 6-points.

The very sad and extremely unusual reason for the Swans fadeout was that on the sidelines Sydney's head trainer Wally Jackson suffered a massive and ultimately fatal heart attack early in the final term with all attempts to revive him by CPR not successful, and Sydney players understandably upset and distracted by these events.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Greg Stafford flattening Spida Everitt with an elbow to the head in a ruck contest in the 2nd quarter in an early 2003 game.

Spida's influence was gone, and Hawthorn gave up a 51pt lead early late in the 2nd qtr to lose by 20pts. Richmond kicking 14.4 to 0.4 from late in the 2nd qtr to halfway through the last.

Remarkably when looking back Stafford played the next week. Would have been 3-4 weeks in today's world

In I think the third (maybe fourth?) quarter of the 2012 GF a Sydney player received a free kick and Mitchell gave a sloppy return of the ball - tossed it up in the air which resulted in a 50m penalty and goal to Sydney.

I know for a fact the HFC were filthy with Mitchell for that. They viewed it as one of the big turning points/moments where we lost the match.

Caleb Daniel's tower over Max Gawn in the 2021 Grand Final. The Dees had momentum and went on to win.

Another one is Nick to De Goey last year which delivered our 16th flag and the smother of the century.

The brawl in 1990 ended a painful 32 year drought when the margin at QT was just 3 points with us leading 14-17.

I think the more pivotal moment was directly after that, when Bailey Smith refused to bodyline a contested ball and let the dees gather an easy possession and clearance. Dees played probably the best footy ive seen for the next 1.5 qtrs.

Before my time but easily this.

I was there that day, a kid mesmerised by the sudden - and ongoing - change in momentum.
Even as a youngster, I realised I'd seen something hugely significant for football.

Before my time but easily this.

If you can get hold of Martin Flanagan's '1970 & Other Stories of the Australian Game', the chapter on the 1970 GF is one of the best things I've ever read about any sport.

It starts:
"Sport is drama. Occasionally it tilts over and becomes something more .... the memory of an event acquires a life of its own and goes careering down the years, unstoppable..."

It's a beauty. Interviews most of the players. Ends up with Tuddenham at his pub I think, Tuddenham naming all the Carlton players he regretted not taking take out, starting with Ted Hopkins.

Interesting the amount of discussion here about 2008 GF. I don't recall it getting a mention in the Best GF thread, but it was a great game with a lot of storylines. Didn't the Kennett curse start from that day? Definitely Rioli vs half the Geelong backline was the turning point.

2012 -- Jack Gunston hitting the post in Q4 was a big moment. Hawks had peppered the goals but just scored points. If that'd gone through the Swans were done.
Plus Hannebery marking in front of Max Bailey(?) in Q1 was huge moment. Got totally crunched but showed we were up for the fight (pity no one thought of doing that in 2014)

2018 SF. Hawks had just kicked a goal reduce a 32 point 3/4 time deficit to 12 points at the 11 minute mark. McEvoy goes off for the normal ruck rotation, Gawn stays on and Melbourne kick a goal from the centre clearance and dominate the rest of the game

Also the 2016 SF. Breust misses a 20 metre set shot for the 1st time in about 3 years that would have put us 27 up nearly 20 minutes into the 2nd qtr. From that moment Bulldogs storm back to be practically level by half time and then blow open the game in the 2nd half

2010 SF Sydney had all the momentum in the first half and had built a 5 goal lead minutes before the half time break

Heath Grundy drops an uncontested intercept mark allowing Barry Hall to snap a goal, the next centre clearance Andrew Hooper making his debut in a final gets a free kick and converts seconds before the half time siren to get the Bulldogs back to 16 points at half time.

Dogs went on to win by 5 points, it was also one of the few games Daniel Bradshaw played for the Swans, kicked 3 goals but crucially missed from the top of the square in the third term. And was also Brett Kirk and Paul Roos’ final game and captain and coach.

In a QB match , Ben Beams ( who most of you ask) breaks his wrist making jeff farmer who on the bench after a bad opening to come back on and kick 9 goals in 45 mins of football and Dees won the match

Martin's goal just prior to half time in the 2020 GF.

Admittedly Richmond had a series of inside-50's in the lead up, so it wasn't totally against the run of play, but if that brief period of momentum hadn't been franked by a goal, I suspect they might've struggled after half time.

As it was, the Martin goal sent Richmond into the change rooms with some inertia, which they carried back out into the third quarter.
This. You could really see the momentum shift and I thought Richmond would win from that point.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back