If you could change one result from the past, what would be?

Remove this Banner Ad

Not the '06 prelim? it was back when you wore the proper Dockers jumper and you had the wood over the Eagles that year, so a GF would have been interesting
you might make a point. Freo also had a half decent squad too. Not to mention players not only played in grand finals but in premierships in their previous club before going to the dockers.

Peter Francis bell: 2 premiership medals at North in 1996 and 1999
Josh Carr and Jared Schofield: both wa boys and both in Ports 2004 flag
Des Headland: 2002 premiership player at Brisbane.

Just goes to show you how badly freo under achieved under the chris connolly coaching era of 2002-7. should of made finals each year from 2003-07. only made finals in 2003 and 2006.

You have a recent Grand Final loss and you went with that?

Let's face it, Neil Craig was like Ken Hinkley - a talented squad, could easily take deep into finals with your eyes closed, but could never get to the last Saturday in September for reasons.

100% agree but like I said I picked a game that wasn't an Adelaide game because that's too easy but picked next best that definitely affected us

Mine are more off field "results":

-Pitura trade:$

-Sacking Hafey:$

- The Malthouse GF fitness test:$

- Refusing to give our stars a pay rise and the ensuing trade war with Collingwood which involved;

- Getting spuds from the Filth instead of stars from vulnerable minnows like Footscray, Fitzroy, Saints & especially the Swans:$

- Sacking KB instead of letting him develop the squad:$

- the Northey-Walls coach swap:$

- Unleash the Geisch:$

- Fiora over Pavlich:$

- Overating the list and ignoring the draft after 2001:$

- Tambling over Franklin:$

-Nathan Brown's broken leg (yeah that was onfield but had to chuck it in)

- Using pick 6 on Oakley-Nicholls :$

-Ignoring the draft and overrating the list after 2008's "best 9th ever".:$

- Using pick 6 on Reece Conca:$

-Griffiths over Fyfe even after Fyfe was trying to specifically impress our recruiters at the combine:$

-Playing Dusty of HBF for 2 years:$

- Ben Lennon over Cripps:$

- Not resting players at the back end of 2018 when we had top 2 sewn up:$

- Getting rid of Leppa & Fly to save money:$

- Brown over JVR (Brown could still be good but how many half back flankers do we ******* need):$

- Paying massive overs for Hopper who was injured to a club that was trying to clear cap space anyway (Taranto I can live with):$

Last edited:
Mine are more off field "results":

-Pitura trade:$

-Sacking Hafey:$

- The Malthouse GF fitness test:$

- Refusing to give our stars a pay rise and the ensuing trade war with Collingwood which involved;

- Getting spuds from the Filth instead of stars from vulnerable minnows like Footscray, Fitzroy, Saints & especially the Swans:$

- Sacking KB instead of letting him develop the squad:$

- the Northey-Walls coach swap:$

- Unleash the Geisch:$

- Fiora over Pavlich:$

- Overating the list and ignoring the draft after 2001:$

- Tambling over Franklin:$

-Nathan Brown's broken leg (yeah that was onfield but had to chuck it in)

- Using pick 6 on Oakley-Nicholls :$

-Ignoring the draft and overrating the list after 2008's "best 9th ever".:$

- Using pick 6 on Reece Conca:$

-Griffiths over Fyfe even after Fyfe was trying to specifically impress our recruiters at the combine:$

-Playing Dusty of HBF for 2 years:$

- Ben Lennon over Cripps:$

- Not resting players at the back end of 2018 when we had top 2 sewn up:$

- Getting rid of Leppa & Fly to save money:$

- Brown over JVR (Brown could still be good but how many half back flankers do we ******* need):$

- Paying massive overs for Hopper who was injured to a club that was trying to clear cap space anyway (Taranto I can live with):$
mind you getting jarrad oakley nicholls and Reece conca was bad. But Pick 6 for some strange reason is a cursed pick in the top 10.

Random, but...

Geelong vs Collingwood 2022 Qualifying final.

We don't end up with Geelong vs an uncompetitive Sydney in the Grand Final that way.

The first Grand Final at the G in 3 years deserved a better contest.

Possibly the Collingwood vs GWS preliminary final from 2019 as well for the same reason.

mind you getting jarrad oakley nicholls and Reece conca was bad. But Pick 6 for some strange reason is a cursed pick in the top 10.

This is true though most pick 6's aren't chosen because your recruiters just watched a video as was the case with JON.:$

Best part about the Conca pick was that Heppell (pick 8) actually trained with us that year(while our recruiters were in Perth hiding behind trees watching this supposed hidden gem) -then we subsequently traded another pick 6 for Prestia (pick9), a second rounder for Caddy (pick 7) and then recruited Tom Lynch as a FA (pick 12)

I would swap the 09 flag for the 08 flag in a heartbeat.

That Geelong side deserved back to back, probably even three in a row - but choked on the big day.

StKilda were the better side in 09 but just had one of those days.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looking at underrated/dark horse options, could be the famous 2013 qualifying final against Freo. Not sure if it would have ultimately made the difference against Hawthorn (with huge injury problems with our key forward and ruck stocks), I just think it was a really strong year overall and people forget that we were a bloody good team that year. Just a bit of bad luck at the wrong time and came up against a team who matched up really well against us during that era and they came over to our dung heap and did the business on us.

Not to mention our coaching staff going insane. That helped too.

This is true though most pick 6's aren't chosen because your recruiters just watched a video as was the case with JON.:$

Best part about the Conca pick was that Heppell (pick 8) actually trained with us that year(while our recruiters were in Perth hiding behind trees watching this supposed hidden gem) -then we subsequently traded another pick 6 for Prestia (pick9), a second rounder for Caddy (pick 7) and then recruited Tom Lynch as a FA (pick 12)
Yeah the wonders of youtube of players with ther skills. Harrad Oakleigh nicholls is no exception.

I dont think Reece Conca is or was a bad player. He was injury prone. If Conca was taken after pick 30 or was taken in the rookie draft, He would be looked back in a more positive view. Saying that, He was a solid WA boy. He wasnt bad in his 1st season at freo in 2019. 447 disposals from 22 games.

Conca could of stayed for one more season in 2019. Tigers were always gonna win the 2019 grand final vs GWS. Conca could of stayed on the bench in that 2019 grand final and the result would still be the same.

Saying that, Richmond got some decent WA talent after pick 20 in various seasons in Shai Bolton, Kamdyn McIntosh and Nathan Broad.

Smart move in that Prestia Trade. Pick 6 and a 2017 2nd rounder for Dion Prestia and pick 24. Prestia got in all 3 grand finals in 2017, 2019 and 2020.

Yeah I don’t think a team has ever won a GF after losing to a team that year..
Yeah of course, we beat Geelong too, but discounting the team that won as inferior and unworthy is a bigger stretch.

Port deserved to be in the GF 2007. And got obliterated

What was forgotten then, and has been forgotten ever since, is that Port and Collingwood actually played at the MCG that season during home and away.

Guess who won? Hint: It wasn't Collingwood.

Not sure of your point. Nobody is saying Geelong didn’t deserve the premiership.

But if Collingwood had got past Geelong in the prelim it’s worth speculating that we would have beaten Port.

If I could change a season result probably win the 93 GF and we would be three in a row 92,93,94.

in recent times a fully fit and firing Nic Nat for his whole career would've made things interesting. Would've been amazing to have our squad play 50-100 games uninterrupted around 2018-2020 too

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

2019 prelim loss to GWS. If we won that game, we would have been premiers. Tigers haven’t been able to beat the Pies in a final for over 30 yrs. Just as they crumbled in 2018, they would have fallen apart in 2019.

What was forgotten then, and has been forgotten ever since, is that Port and Collingwood actually played at the MCG that season during home and away.

Guess who won? Hint: It wasn't Collingwood.
Finals footy is a different game. Port fans should know that. Has Port ever beaten the Pies in a final? You couldn’t even beat us at your ground in 2002 when minor premiers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back