What was one moment that changed an entire game?

Remove this Banner Ad

You were up by 10 points when that happened, and then kicked the next goal. We had actually kicked a goal and two points, then it happened.

Not sure it had the impact you think it did.
Collingwood fans seem to look for alot of excuses for that game and dont like admitting a team they lost to 3 times that year was simply better

Collingwood fans seem to look for alot of excuses for that game and dont like admitting a team they lost to 3 times that year was simply better

They were an exceptional team no doubt about it and arrogant as it sounds, unapologetically I’ll say if they play anyone else that day aside from MAYBE Hawthorn they win by 50 points. But we outplayed them that day and twice more that year and any way you frame it we came out of that season as the rightful premiers as they did the year before

They were an exceptional team no doubt about it and arrogant as it sounds, unapologetically I’ll say if they play anyone else that day aside from MAYBE Hawthorn they win by 50 points. But we outplayed them that day and twice more that year and any way you frame it we came out of that season as the rightful premiers as they did the year before
They were absolutely exceptional that year... 20/2 and literally only lost to geelong thr entire season... They were a powerhouse. Geelong just simply were marginally better.

I was there, I remember not breathing completely easily until probably Ladson’s goal. Especially since they were gifted two umpire-goals at the end of the third…

I can understand that - I wasn’t even comfortable in the Port grand final until the margin reached 55-60 points or something, but yeah I felt as a Cats fan even when we were LEADING, ‘ok something isn’t right here, this is not going to script’ when things like the Ottens miss happened

Why? The game looks better now
It is the worst rule ever introduced in my eyes. Such an advantage to the player with the ball. I have seen players already past the man on the mark by the time the ump calls play on, how is that good to watch. I could deal with some limited lateral movement, but to stand like a goose while someone runs round them 'no matter which team it is' just ruins footy for me to a degree.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can understand that - I wasn’t even comfortable in the Port grand final until the margin reached 55-60 points or something, but yeah I felt as a Cats fan even when we were LEADING, ‘ok something isn’t right here, this is not going to script’ when things like the Ottens miss happened
The difference being Port were arguably the weakest grand finalist in history, whereas the 08 Cats were probably the best runners up in history…

The difference being Port were arguably the weakest grand finalist in history, whereas the 08 Cats were probably the best runners up in history…

Trust me when you’ve seen your team lose the only grand finals you’ve watched them play and you’re two years out of watching one guy knock you out of the finals in 10 minutes of football, you have the thumb on the remote poised and ready no matter who you are playing.

People cite the Mooney miss in the 08 grand final a lot, and that’s not without merit.

But Brad Ottens running into an open goal from about 30 out probably hurt us even more because we were really on the charge from memory at the time and building a bit of momentum and needed something to show for it

That was my sinking feeling around that time. Wasn't even Dew or whoever else in the third quarter - I just knew we'd find a way to stuff it up.

Mooney's total inability to kick straight and Lonergan's inability to mark over his head helped as well of course.

Trust me when you’ve seen your team lose the only grand finals you’ve watched them play and you’re two years out of watching one guy knock you out of the finals in 10 minutes of football, you have the thumb on the remote poised and ready no matter who you are playing.
Fair enough.

And in 08 you had the pleasure of watching one guy (said fat retiree) knock you out of the grannie in just 5 minutes of football…

😉

The "toe poke" in the final quarter of the 2009 Grand Final between Saints and Cats. Scores were tied for over ten minutes and you couldn't see either team breaking the stranglehold... until Matthew Scarlett deftly toe poked a loose ball cleanly into the arms of Gary Ablett Junior who drove the ball deep into attack and Paul Chapman goaled to give Geelong the match winning lead.

Quite honestly I don't know how any Hawthorn didn't have the feet up relaxing from half time onwards.
To this day I don’t know why Geelong didn’t mount some sort of comeback, with a flag, back to back, and a potential dynasty on the line. Especially since they were given the momentum on a silver platter at the end of the third…

Remove this Banner Ad

Back